• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I did not want my gut to be correct but I had this game preordered the day they announced it over 3 years ago. I cancelled my preorder on Amazon about a month and a half ago and it was literally the hardest preorder I ever had to cancel. I loved the first 2 games.

I cannot help but think of the latest Doom. It was still Doom but it was also a new take on Doom. People loved the nostalgia but also loved the fact it brought something new to the series. Based on everything I just read in the reviews this game seems to be just nothing but nostalgia. Perhaps the reviewers are wrong, and I will play it regardless as I have GamePass, but damn. Seems to be an overwhelming consensus.

I fucking love collecting Orbs though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, it's somehow actually a fair bit lower than my prediction of 75. Microsoft first party has been somewhat of a train wreck this gen and it's less surprising they offer a service like Game Pass. GP is literally the only reason I'll even be playing and trying the game, because I certainly wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

This is also why I'm often reluctant to give too much weight to some of the impressions and opinions about the game or games from....certain enthusiasts on here. It appears certain people just have different standards and expectations than others.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Uhh below 65. Somehow it reminds me of Lair PS3, with the difference that one came in the early life and the other is almost closing the generation.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I was expecting low review score. But I have gamepass so I'm still going to try it myself, maybe with a friend in coop. It won't be a GOTY contender for me, but I hope I have some fun.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a weird post.

Phil Spencer never seems to be held accountable even though he was in charge of first party for MS for years.
Exactly. Phil was in charge of software output when MS decided everything needed to be Halo, Gears and Kinect crap. Phil was part of the exec team that decided Indies were no longer important headed into the launch of the XB1. Phil has done a pretty good job with services the last couple of years, but he continues to miss the mark with software.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda surprised by the low scores, to be honest.

Maybe expectations? I went in expecting not to like it but I've had a blast. I'm not even a huge fan of the original. Had a weirdly good time with this one.

This is one of those times where the meta-result "feels" odd juxtaposed against other games in that range, just knowing some of those have much more basic issues. Which isn't to say I'd call out the reviews more generally. Even if it sometimes ends up a little reductive (especially for games that play distinctly), it's fair to ask where a game is, relative to the market.

Just the same, I'm looking forward to my time with it. If people end up coming in with lowered expectations, that could even serve it better in the long run.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reviewers are really putting a negative spin on GP as a proposition. I don't think XBOX can be happy with that as the prevailing narrative.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I did not want my gut to be correct but I had this game preordered the day they announced it over 3 years ago. I cancelled my preorder on Amazon about a month and a half ago and it was literally the hardest preorder I ever had to cancel. I loved the first 2 games.

I cannot help but think of the latest Doom. It was still Doom but it was also a new take on Doom. People loved the nostalgia but also loved the fact it brought something new to the series. Based on everything I just read in the reviews this game seems to be just nothing but nostalgia. Perhaps the reviewers are wrong, and I will play it regardless as I have GamePass, but damn. Seems to be an overwhelming consensus.

GamePass is the key.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
People really overestimated the scores at the start of this thread lol, and they were already going low. Funny to think that some looked at those estimates and still went "people are underestimating this game".

It is a bit surprising but not completely unexpected. Auto aim just isn't a fun or engaging gameplay mechanic any more, and it seems the combat gameplay was what was meant to set this game apart - it didn't have anything else going for it that's for sure.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Continued pattern of system wars and numerous accumulated infractions
Yeah, this game started with Phil. Can't blame this turd on Don.

All publishers release a bunch of titles per year, some review well, some don't that's the nature of the business.
I don't see anyone blame Shuhei for this turd.
image0.png

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think the Mattrick comments are funny.

Phil Spencer was head of studios from 2009 to 2014. He was head of Xbox from 2014 to 2017. And now he is head of gaming.
This is all on him. I don't think he should be put on a chopping block for it and I appreciate the courage to finish and deliver this game. But this is all on him and his team.

The day they decided to put Xbox first party games on Gamepass day one, must have been the day they decided to not cancel Crackdown 3. This game would have been a terrible failure if it hadn't come to Gamepass. Now millions will play it, many will like it, many won't. But the IP can still have a future.

This is very telling tho:
xLMrHj6.png

Microsoft Studios, or now Xbox Game Studios, needs to get their shit together. I'm sure 2019 will end on a high for them. Gears of War and Ori are fantastic properties and they have very talented game studios working on those games. So I hope this is an 'end of an era'

It was a shame the Xbox One X launched with Super Lucky's Tale. It was a shame Sea of Thieves didn't launch with more content and it was a shame that State of Decay 2 launched in such a buggy state.

With this one over with, they can leave the past behind and put on a good track record. Because if they continue like this, it will become the norm. And a Microsoft game should mean something. It should mean quality. It should mean exploring new technological and game design territories. We've just seen mediocre or unfinished games these last few years. Yes, Forza Horizon 4 was fantastic. Halo Wars 2 was a more than competent strategy game and Forza Motorsport 7 is a good racing sim. But that's not enough for 2,5 years.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that this is becoming the norm for Microsoft's first party.
I agree that MS need to alter the perception of strong and weak teams, ie we can bank on Playground l, 343i & Coalition, we should be able to bank on the fact it's an MGS (XGS) production regardless of who's behind it, and that to me is what Phil is doing by bringing in Booty, to set a company wide standard rather then relying on individual teams.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's an interesting thing. I love new Doom but...I still love old Doom. I would be just as happy with either one. Not everything needs to evolve.

...but still, CD3 is definitely another Crackdown with most of its faults (though I feel the actual city design is *MUCH* better and more fun to explore)

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting upper 60s with a chance of a low 70. This is closer to upper 50s. Fortunately, this should be the last of the games from that portion of this gen.

Imma read some of these reviews to see what the common complaints are.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, I truly didn't expect to have such a poor reception, that's really disappointing to see.

(Was expecting like a 70-73).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
All publishers release a bunch of titles per year, some review well, some don't that's the nature of the business.
I don't see anyone blame Shuhei for this turd.
image0.png
It's more a matter that Crackdown 3 was the ultra hyped, triple A sequel to one of the most acclaimed 360 exclusives... vs. your example: a B game (at most) for VR that people barely knew before launch.

Not saying this is Phil's fault (in fact, I would say it's the cloud focus imposed by the early days of Xbox One and Don Mattrick what killed this game).

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the way people completely review scores as gospel disappoints me. How many over-rated R* games do we have to get to understand that some games tend to do better in reviews solely based on production values? Y'all never liked critically panned games before?

I bet I would have more fun with Crackdown 3 than RDR2.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the way people completely review scores as gospel disappoints me. How many over-rated R* games do we have to get to understand that some games tend to do better in reviews solely based on production values.

Would you be saying this if the scores were all 80s and 90s?

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Isn't this is what they are doing?😂
they have the assets now for sure but that is not enough.

They need to delivery. The ones I have hope is Playground Fable, Halo Infinite and Gears 5 to start a new time for MS first party studios.

I would say about Obsidian but this one will take time.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I do feel a little bad for Sumo coming out of this.

I feel this game was unfortunately out of their league, especially so taking into account what Sony and Nintendo have been knocking out with seeming ease the past few years.

Due to the other failures of Xbox first party Crackdown had more resting on it than it should have.

But who could have actually made a real next gen Crackdown 3? A game that pushes boundaries while also feeling familiar and respectful to the old games.

There's no first party studio capable of such at MS and the only real options for independent devs that do work for hire stuff would be Sumo, Iron Galaxy, Ninja Theory, Volition and Bluepoint.

The OG games creators couldn't make the new game work.

I dunno....it may have all just been a bad idea from the off and the only positive to come out of it was whatever they take from their use of the cloud.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Honestly, the way people completely review scores as gospel disappoints me. How many over-rated R* games do we have to get to understand that some games tend to do better in reviews solely based on production values.

I know I'm definitely going to review Crackdown 3 more than RDR2

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I think the Mattrick comments are funny.

Phil Spencer was head of studios from 2009 to 2014. He was head of Xbox from 2014 to 2017. And now he is head of gaming.
This is all on him. I don't think he should be put on a chopping block for it and I appreciate the courage to finish and deliver this game. But this is all on him and his team.

The day they decided to put Xbox first party games on Gamepass day one, must have been the day they decided to not cancel Crackdown 3. This game would have been a terrible failure if it hadn't come to Gamepass. Now millions will play it, many will like it, many won't. But the IP can still have a future.

This is very telling tho:
xLMrHj6.png

Microsoft Studios, or now Xbox Game Studios, needs to get their shit together. I'm sure 2019 will end on a high for them. Gears of War and Ori are fantastic properties and they have very talented game studios working on those games. So I hope this is an 'end of an era'

It was a shame the Xbox One X launched with Super Lucky's Tale. It was a shame Sea of Thieves didn't launch with more content and it was a shame that State of Decay 2 launched in such a buggy state.

With this one over with, they can leave the past behind and put on a good track record. Because if they continue like this, it will become the norm. And a Microsoft game should mean something. It should mean quality. It should mean exploring new technological and game design territories. We've just seen mediocre or unfinished games these last few years. Yes, Forza Horizon 4 was fantastic. Halo Wars 2 was a more than competent strategy game and Forza Motorsport 7 is a good racing sim. But that's not enough for 2,5 years.

You make some good points and also some huge speculations here. Regardless of Crackdown 3 scoring lower than Crackdown 2 I'm telling you 3 is by far a better game than that shit show, that was the real disappointment of the franchise. Crackdown 3 if anything is a return to the classic form but it seems it has not changed enough from the 360 era title for current reviewers.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

CONSENSUS?!

Are you a brainless sheep that lets other people think for you, Larry? No! You're a motherducking agent, Larry!

Get your Graviton Tether and your singularity gun, COLLECT SOME ORBS, and save the city!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Any reviewer connecting Game Pass to the reason this game is mediocre is trolling at this point. It's not even logical. Most of the campaigns development was done before 1st party games going into the service was a thing. Developers don't intentionally make mediocre stuff because they know the game is going into Game Pass. That narrative is pure idiocy.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 was never going to be reviewed well, I called the 60s in this very thread (though I expected high 60s - not that it's such a huge difference, plus the rating isn't final yet). But I'll just say this: the gaming world would be a much more sad and boring place without games like Crackdown, Earth Defense Force, Dynasty Warriors, Agents Of Mayhem, Onechanbara, WET or ReCore. Not everything needs to be a quadruple-A cinematic masterpiece, sometimes all I wanna do is jump around collecting orbs in a giant city, shoot at mindless hordes of enemies, play an intentionally over the top sequence or laugh at some Z-movie styles in a game, even if it looks like a several years old game or if it's janky as fuck. The first Crackdown 1 holds up in that regard to this day: an outdated yet fun and different open world game. I yet have to try Crackdown 3, and I'll probably dive into it properly next week only (will give it a shot before then, though), but personally I wouldn't want a new Crackdown that isn't like the old Crackdown. But that's me. Not everyone has to agree with that.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
eh, was expecting low scores. doesn't really matter to me, im def getting it. Its shown to be what I want out of a crackdown game. A lot of reviewers seemed to think it needed to be more, idk what they were expecting. Their loss as far as I see ;D

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So with State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3 reviewing poorly, I wonder if Game Pass was created (in part) as an answer to the question of, "We know these games are not going to review poorly and therefore not sell well. So how can we get some return on investment?"

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Still looking forward to checking it out and playing with a friend. I think it will tickle an itch I've had for a little while. Too bad they didn't progress the genre though. Game could have been super interesting