• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (2 days) Hostility, accumulated infractions
Absolutely fuck the reviewers and fuck the people hating on this game.

And also fuck MS for their trash marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of blown away. The movement feels so good and the game is just a ridiculous blast to play when you're zipping around encounters. I just absolutely adore games that have good, integrated traversal+combat gameplay and I cannot believe I have not played more of the series outside a demo of the first game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of blown away. The movement feels so good and the game is just a ridiculous blast to play when you're zipping around encounters. I just absolutely adore games that have good, integrated traversal+combat gameplay and I cannot believe I have not played more of the series outside a demo of the first game.
Do you have any recommendations of games that give you a similar experience?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah the movement feels really good! I went back to Kingdom Hearts 3 after playing some of this and it felt like controlling a truck

It's just a shame the movement and combat isn't used to do anything interesting

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling really, how they undersold the game. It doesn't do close up details that well, but that sprawling neon mega city more than makes up for it. It's gorgeous and I don't get why they didn't use more clips with that in it? There's so many times walking or jumping around I've thought, damn, this would make a nice clip or gif (annoyingly Shadowplay doesn't seem to work in Windows Store games). I can only think of a few games doing spaces or distances - if we can call it that - as well as Crackdown 3.

And they could serve as platforms, if some of them weren't too fast. Would fit the platforming part of the series well, the vehicle part less so and players would probably start begging for a (game breaking) flying car before long..

Yeah I was thinking about it from a platforming perspective, and it would look cool as hell.

I didnt even think of players actually using them. I wouldn't mind flying vehicles so long as they were tied to late game abilities. Like If your ability to pilot one was limited by you Agility and Vehicle level.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Overdrive, Gun Valkyrie. A liiiittle bit in Spider-Man PS4.
Never heard of Gun Valkyrie before, thank you! It looks like a linear Crackdown 3, judging from the videos, pretty cool.

Really want to play Sunset Overdrive, and this thread with the amount of people using Spider-Man avatars saying the same thing finally made me interested in Spider-Man PS4 as well.

Yeah the movement feels really good! I went back to Kingdom Hearts 3 after playing some of this and it felt like controlling a truck

It's just a shame the movement and combat isn't used to do anything interesting
I said before, if they ever manage to really take advantage of the movement in this game for boss fights, we'll be looking at some pretty amazing bosses.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm 98% complete with a couple of the gangs. Is there something obvious that everyone misses or doesn't think of? Because there's nothing left on my map. I hope it's not those car things.

I'm at 100% with the other two gangs.
Monkey Moonshine kiosks, Prison Hardpoints, and Intel Caches all count & these only appear on the map if you get very close to them. You can check on the targets screen how many you have left by checking the corresponding boss (prison/intel is under the final boss, and monkey moonshine is under the head industry boss i think)

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's baffling really, how they undersold the game. It doesn't do close up details that well, but that sprawling neon mega city more than makes up for it. It's gorgeous and I don't get why they didn't use more clips with that in it? There's so many times walking or jumping around I've thought, damn, this would make a nice clip or gif (annoyingly Shadowplay doesn't seem to work in Windows Store games). I can only think of a few games doing spaces or distances - if we can call it that - as well as Crackdown 3.

And they could serve as platforms, if some of them weren't too fast. Would fit the platforming part of the series well, the vehicle part less so and players would probably start begging for a (game breaking) flying car before long..
Shadowplay works with crackdown. I recorded a video with it and used it to take screenshots. You hitting alt z?

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I want to play this but I'm running into MASSIVE slowdown on PC but only for seconds at a time. Rock solid 60 FPS for 20 seconds, than sub 10 FPS for 3 seconds, over and over and over.

My laptop should be able to keep it locked at 60, really frustrated with this right now

Check with msi afterburner, yesterday I was playing and the GPU was lowering the frequency for some reason at times.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I am loving this game - it's what I always wanted from a Crackdown sequel. Hope they release updates and DLC for this one.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Alt f10 I think when recording Earth Defense Force. Is it alt z now?

It doesn't have the Shadowplay pop-up when launching the game, so I assumed it wasn't working.
alt z will bring up the shadowplay ui. I only have crackdown and sea of thieves on my pc right now, but it definitely works with both those games.

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
That was a nice weekend! Played Crackdown 3 like addicted. That movement and platforming makes collectiong orbs so fun.
I have all DNAs, radio towers and shit ton of orbs. Worst thing is missing one or two orbs on location. It's always the hardest that last one :)
Also first ability that I maxed out was strenght due to awesome ground pound. It's so satisfying to destroy groups of enemies with it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I just wish lockdowns didn't end when you died, I wish I was forced to overcome it, because the one time I got it was very exciting, but I died and it ended.

Does it always happens after bosses?

I think so. You can also start one whenever you feel like it, just keep your threat level at max for a few minutes with any faction, and a lockdown will initialize. I just survived one of those earlier this morning, and it was incredibly intense.

At this point I wish they make bc CD2 that I never played, I need more crackdown in my life.

You should play it if you get the opportunity. A lot of people didn't like it, but some of us loved it, it's still tied with Crackdown 3 as my favourite game in the series.

Sunset Overdrive, Gun Valkyrie. A liiiittle bit in Spider-Man PS4.

Also ReCore, although combat and platforming are not as tightly integrated there, but both are well done, and platforming in particular is amazing, pretty similar to Crackdown 3.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I put on some music and started playing, only for a bit, and then realized 3 hours had shot by without me noticing.

I'm surprised by how poorly the game has reviewed tbh. It's not perfect, but I've been having such a good time just tooling around blowing stuff up.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Been a long time since I've seen a game this divisive. It's not even that some people are lukewarm on it, they seemingly actively hate it and can't fathom anyone enjoying it.

Personally I'm having a blast. It looks incredible on the One X, specifically the sense of scale. I could see complaints about things not looking great up close, but it's a minor nitpick.

It's the perfect wind down game IMO.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Well after playing this a lot this weekend, I question people (like the Jimidiot) and others. I wonder what their agenda is. Is it a 10? No, but a solid 8.

Now I know why so many people are getting away from the reviewers and just watch the game being played on Youtube. Reviewers are a dying breed.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
This is the Crackdown I remember. I think the reviews are a bit harsh, but we've also had a pretty good jump in game & environment "quality" since Crackdown 1 & 2 were released.

There are really only two things that I have an issue with. First, enemy lock-on is great but I wish I could swap between the actual enemies I'm locked on. Two, driving is horrible. I've barely been in a car yet because of it.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'd call Crackdown 3 an awful game, but I would call it dated. I don't know enough about this specific game's development to know what happened here, but I do know that this specific game feels like something that would have been better received had it been released several years ago. At the same time, Crackdown 3 fits reasonably well on Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass service. Paying $60 for this thing would be downright foolish. It's short and bland on the campaign end and the two multiplayer modes aren't worth your time. But if you're already a subscriber to Microsoft's service and can play this for no additional charge, it's a passable little bit of junk food that might hold your attention for an afternoon or two.

Okay, after reading Jeff Gerstmann's review I think that's accurate. It's his perorgative to give 2 stars - I wouldn't place it that low, but it's a fair assessment of the game without the hyperbole of some of the other reviews I've seen.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish lockdowns didn't end when you died, I wish I was forced to overcome it, because the one time I got it was very exciting, but I died and it ended.

Does it always happens after bosses?

You can trigger one by just railing on one faction. I triggered a 3 on infrastructure and decided to just keep killing them because they were throwing so many robots at me so quickly and after killing like 30 or so of the trucks that came in it triggered a city lockdown

This is the Crackdown I remember. I think the reviews are a bit harsh, but we've also had a pretty good jump in game & environment "quality" since Crackdown 1 & 2 were released.

There are really only two things that I have an issue with. First, enemy lock-on is great but I wish I could swap between the actual enemies I'm locked on. Two, driving is horrible. I've barely been in a car yet because of it.

Once you level up to level 1 you get your agency vehicle, which drives great. (pressing up on dpad or V on keyboard calls it)

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Well after playing this a lot this weekend, I question people (like the Jimidiot) and others. I wonder what their agenda is. Is it a 10? No, but a solid 8.

Now I know why so many people are getting away from the reviewers and just watch the game being played on Youtube. Reviewers are a dying breed.
Yeah, I may have raised it from a 7 to a 8
Like I'm at work and thinking about Crackdown when I should be thinking about anthem.

I took a peek at what future unlocks will do and though I can't see myself willingly giving up my launch pad, some of those later grenades look like alot of fun

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am missing one weapon and not sure where to find it. The game is so good, though. It's very unfortunate to see the reception it has received. We don't have enough of these "just fun" games coming out. Has Microsoft said if they are still going to support the game for the long term?

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Ngata and Niemand boss fights are a shit show. Was hoping for more than just bullet sponges with waves of trash mobs to artificially inflate difficulty. The latter was particularly egregious since it took place on such a small arena.

Bit of a disappointing climax but I had fun for the most part. Now to clean up the rest of the map of stuff I missed.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the agility rooftop races - got Gold in all of them. I think I did them all but hopefully can find a couple more. I need that level 6 agility.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Husband started it last night and I watched him play it a bit. He was having fun (though the narrators talk a bit much) but I'll take a crack (heh) at it eventually. Gotta finish KH3 and Darksiders 2 before I start anything else.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if Atmos is supposed to be supported on PC? I downloaded the atmos app from the ms store. Demo content shows "Atmos" on my receiver, but it kicks back to regular DD when I launch Crackdown

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I am missing one weapon and not sure where to find it. The game is so good, though. It's very unfortunate to see the reception it has received. We don't have enough of these "just fun" games coming out. Has Microsoft said if they are still going to support the game for the long term?

I'm missing one too.

Just got the Oblivion gun at the top of the science tower. The science tower isn't much of a challenge combat wise. But the platforming is brutal.

I'm missing the one on the bottom row, 2nd from the left. Where do I get it?

I think the Mass Driver is still my favorite gun. It carries a lot of ammo. It blows up and poisons everyone in sight. In fact the explosions rival the rocket launcher.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if Atmos is supposed to be supported on PC? I downloaded the atmos app from the ms store. Demo content shows "Atmos" on my receiver, but it kicks back to regular DD when I launch Crackdown
I couldn't get Atmos to work in PC. And I don't even think the game is Atmos on Xbox. I played for about 5-10 minutes yesterday with my ear to one of my ceiling speakers and heard nothing. I even went to an area where there were sound objects above me and still nothing.

I think this is another Sea of Thieves, where it was reported as being Atmos well before release, but then wound up not supporting the format.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and come to find out last night that HDR wasn't turned on for the One X version by default! My TV indicates that it's switched to HDR mode when the game boots up, but wasn't actually rendering anything in HDR until I toggled it on in the main menu. Very weird decision.

Makes a world of difference in the effects popping, though. LG B7 OLED.

Oct 27, 2017
2 things that stick out to me are the propaganda towers and the boss fights. They are surprisingly fun and the reviews didn't highlight them

I will say that they could've done more with the center of the city. In the sense that a newer open world game would've had stores, side quests npcs etc but the city doesn't have those elements and it's a cool setting so I'm disappointed not to see that.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Lockdown is so much fun. I always run out of ammo and have to resort to throwing cars around.

bit off topic: What's the best service to use to host images and link them here?

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game is a lot of fun but I can see why it reviewed poorly. It's very repetive and the story isn't very interesting. It feels like a cool sandbox game and not much else.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I played this for 3 hours last night and had an absolute blast. I'm just not gonna pay attention to reviews on this one. I don't want anything ruining my fun.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat Niemand and damn this game is good. I love how you can just go full Breath of the Wild and skip bosses, I only beat 5 of the 8 before I fought her. Climbing up the buildings to get to the main bosses is just epic, again I got some BotW feelings from figuring out how to scale them.

A lot of people would consider the short length to be a negative but personally I love that this is an open world game that doesn't feel the need to pad itself out with a million sidequests that take 5 years to finish. I'll go back and clean up the rest of the stuff there is to do but I instantly decided to jump into a second playthrough on Legendary as well, I feel like I got pretty brainless on a lot of the combat encounters and want to see if I can do it with more challenge.

I hope MS doesn't take the wrong idea from the mediocre reception. I understand where the complaints are coming from but this absolutely needs to continue as a franchise. This feels like the Knack of the Xbone, it's got "dated" design and isn't that ambitious but it does what it does REALLY well.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
the ngata fight is just pure frustration, there is nowhere to go, mobs everywhere (there is now way to avoid them, you will get hit, always), boss takes way too long to kill and hast a one-hit-kill attack (which ist avoidable).

after two dozen attempts with a level 5 agent and the best weapons in the game...i just dont know what to do.

edit: ok, switched to easy and beat him in 10 seconds. this fights needs to be re-balanced on normal.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
Maybe we should write an open letter to Microsoft and everyone sign it! :D It would be a shame if this is it for Crackdown.