• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
Played a couple of hours of coop last night with my wife I loved it. I decided to switch to wrecking zone to try out a match and next thing I knew it was like 4 hours later. My god i love the multi. Does anyone have any tips for getting a kill with every weapon? I tried for that but the agent hunter matches end to fast and in territories I could not tell if I was actually getting credit for the kills of not.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Played a couple of hours of coop last night with my wife I loved it. I decided to switch to wrecking zone to try out a match and next thing I knew it was like 4 hours later. My god i love the multi. Does anyone have any tips for getting a kill with every weapon? I tried for that but the agent hunter matches end to fast and in territories I could not tell if I was actually getting credit for the kills of not.
I did it in Agent Hunter, Territories are even shorter.
I damaged the enemies with my primary weapon and then did the rest with the explosives, because it took me forever otherwise.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I really enjoyed, not sure it warranted some of those bad reviews. Sometimes it's fun to just jump around collect some orbs and blow shit up.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh that is smart. The lock on rockets were driving me nuts cause they take so fucking long to reload. I would hurt someone and they would boost away and heal.
yeah also the game randomly decides if it grants you the kill or not, often I kill an enemy and the announcer confirms it but when I check the scoreboard it wasn't counted lol

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So I am totally obsessed with this game now, it is awesome even if it is 2019 whatever the heck that means :) For example I decided to do one of the driving races in a machinery area that I hadn't yet cleared of enemies just to have extra chaos going on around me And man that was some hilarious fun right there. I was drifting around the machinery and smashing enemies with my car and then all of the sudden I smashed into something where my agency car just went flying way through the air and crashed into the machinery itself, completely blowing it up and clearing that area even though that wasn't my original intent. That is just some crazy good times right there, and then I definitely understand the orb hunting obsession thing now. I keep trying to do something and end up flying off to grab some more orbs. Reviewers or other gamers hating on this really need to loosen their tie a little and learn to play by themselves some without being led by the nose through every gaming experience I guess.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
This game is so awesome!

I just had like a 15 minute period of mass chaos, where I was being shot at and also shooting enemies relentlessly. Combine that with the platforming, it just has really fun gameplay. It was like something out of the matrix. Did I mention that there was a giant robot throwing rocks at me?

Oct 28, 2017
This is honestly the most pure fun I've got out of an open world game in a long ass time. I think the last open world game to give me this feeling was.....I wanna say Sunset Overdrive?

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so for me (Q9FN) and a friend (LG 4K TV) the game was a little too bright in terms of how nighttime looked, not proper dark and also HDR didn't exactly pop as much as we expected after the DF video.

So I go into the brightness setting of the game and i turn it down to 25% and I keep the HDR Paper White setting at default. The neon lights and night truly pop now and the night itself actually looks like a night. Anyone else had this too?

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just finished it and I really enjoyed, not sure it warranted some of those bad reviews. Sometimes it's fun to just jump around collect some orbs and blow shit up.

The purpose of the "bad reviews", as you point out, is mostly to point objectively whats good and bad about the game, and if it is worth the lunch price for the majority of the consumers.

I'm loving it so far. Way more that I was expecting. But I can't shake the feeling that it's an outdated game. it feels more like a remake of the first Crackdown.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes when you bring up the map it makes a cat sound and it's messing with my head.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The purpose of the "bad reviews", as you point out, is mostly to point objectively whats good and bad about the game, and if it is worth the lunch price for the majority of the consumers.

I'm loving it so far. Way more that I was expecting. But I can't shake the feeling that it's an outdated game. it feels more like a remake of the first Crackdown.
There is little objective about reviews. What may be bad about the game for one person might be good for another. Objective things are like if the game is functional or broken, ie FO76.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I seriously cant understand people who say the game looks bad or like like last-gen. That's...thats just not right.

It doesnt really looks current-gen to me either. Played it again just now and its not a looker imo. Doesnt help the animations are stiff and weird as well.
But its fun to jump around and collecting the orbs but i am not a fan of the combat.
Right now installing Metro and maybe go back to Crackdown after that. For now i think i had my piece of it. Bummer because i was interested in this game.

Oct 26, 2017
Some things just has me going "why".

Like how you can't be in a vehicle together. Not even in those big enemy vehicles that contain a turret. Perfect for two players, why?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I'm really tired of hearing how Crackdown's structure is outdated. One of the most revered games of last year was Tetris Effect. It's an interesting variant further enhanced by its lovely synesthetic approach (which is something that Mizuguchi has been doing for decades), and it can be in VR, but it's fucking Tetris! And I'm not saying that Tetris Effect is not worthy of all the praise, quite the contrary, but I think it's blatant hypocrisy how "objective" critics are willing to overlook certain things for some games (and there are many, many other examples of celebrated games with retro stylings or back to the roots approach), while ragging on others.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm really tired of hearing how Crackdown's structure is outdated. One of the most revered games of last year was Tetris Effect. It's an interesting variant further enhanced by its lovely synesthetic approach (which is something that Mizuguchi has been doing for decades), and it can be in VR, but it's fucking Tetris! And I'm not saying that Tetris Effect is not worthy of all the praise, quite the contrary, but I think it's blatant hypocrisy how "objective" critics are willing to overlook certain things for some games (and there are many, many other examples of celebrated games with retro stylings or back to the roots approach), while ragging on others.

That's a really weird comparison. The expectations for a new tetris game is very different from the expectations and ambitions of a currect-gen Crackdown.

You may not see it but Crackdown 3 is mechanicaly outdated. It does nothing new compared to the older games or even the competition in the genre.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting really awful performance on my Xbox One Elder(the first one) sometimes I even get complete 0 fps drops for almost no reason(not during high action moments) and I think the game has crashed but it hasn't because it resumes again. It's really pathetic that they treat the Original Xbox One as something that doesn't matter anymore.

The game overall is a ton of fun, I really loved Crackdown 1, didn't play 2. Some of the complaints about this game are just really way off, like Jeff(Giantbomb) saying he didn't like agility orb placements(he really doesn't like games anymore though at all). I'm having a great time with this colectothon stuff. The driving is really bad.

I'm hoping overall they'll patch out all the bad things in the game.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
That's a really weird comparison. The expectations for a new tetris game is very different from the expectations and ambitions of a currect-gen Crackdown.

You may not see it but Crackdown 3 is mechanicaly outdated. It does nothing new compared to the older games or even the competition in the genre.

Neither does Wolfenstein: The New Order, yet it's still a cracking good game. So is Crackdown 3. It's not without flaws - far from it - and it's not a revolutionary experience (although its cloud compute tech will revolutionize games in the long run), but it's well crafted, and it delivers just what many fans have been expecting, and hoping for. Oh, and it's loads of fun. That alone should elevate it above some of the ridiculously low scores it's been getting, but I guess not.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
What's a decent weapon? Everything I use feels like a peashooter that does barely any damage, especially against the robot enemies. I need something with some heft.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's co op only but man, this shit is not bug free by any means.

Just now we tried to climb this propaganda tower and all was well and all of a sudden we get this weird bug where we slide off the moving platforms and then all of a sudden the game turned into slow motion. Odd as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
Played like 3 hours yesterday. Still love the orb hunting. Gameplay is definitely dated and pretty much is Crackdown 1 with updated visuals.

Lot of potential there though. Could be a solid replacement to SSOD since we will probably never get a sequel if done right.

They need to get a solid studio on it though that can breath some fresh air into the franchise gameplay and visually, while still maintain some core aspects like orb hunting and leveling up.

Oct 29, 2017
NL
Played a couple of hours and yeah its Crackdown alright. Just mindless fun and orb hunting never gets old. Looks fine enough too, nothing special but I like the style and presentation.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The game is a lot of fun. It's what I expected from Crackdown. Collect orbs and feel like a badass. The visuals are also lovely on PC.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Played the game 5 minutes on PC
After noticing the aim lock on ADS and no headshots i instantly deleted the game.
Will play on Xbox now.

I also had the PC stutter from the DF video.
So i hope Xbox will be a better experience.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

My problem with terms like "outdated" is that it implies that modern sensibilities are inherently improvements.

Imo Crackdown 3 has more in common with action platformers than modern open world adventures. Thats not a bad thing... Its just a thing - genres are timeless. Unfortunately, that's not how reviewers seem to be looking at it.

It feels like a proper sequel to CD1, not a remake. Having just finished a playthrough of CD1 I can say that this one improves on it it many key ways, just as you'd expect from a sequel.

Last edited:

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Just read a tip in the loading screen that said "Commander Jaxon has a pet duck: Commander Quaxon." How deep does this lore go?

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Having more fun than expected with this. Looks a lil shitty tho. Maybe because Im on an Xbox One S.

Thank god for gamepass. Wouldnt have played it otherwise.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Just did the Djimon boss. This game is actually crazy fun, love it. Don't give a fuck how derivative it is right now.

LOL, and now the city's on lockdown!

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
What's a decent weapon? Everything I use feels like a peashooter that does barely any damage, especially against the robot enemies. I need something with some heft.
My standard loadout most of the time has been:

Primary - POW
Secondary - Homing Rocket
Tertiary - Jackhammer
Gadget - Incendiary Charge

Still have 3 guns left to unlock yet. The Black Hole one and another in the trailer if I recall.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see people enjoying it. After the reviews, I thought I must be crazy for liking it. I've had a blast with it, though.

pmunk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm having a great time with this a few hours in.

Certainly had some hesitation early on as the movement felt a bit clunky and inconsistent, but that has improved greatly as I've leveled up the agility and gotten the dash. I understand the complaints about the lack of story, etc. but that isn't what I'm coming to Crackdown for.

Mindless fun roaming around the city and collecting orbs is what I wanted, and seems so far it is what I got.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I played about 2 hours or so and I am having a hard time getting behind some of these reviews. I'm not saying it's a 90 something, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. I will probably finish it because I enjoyed what I played.

Oct 27, 2017
I never played too much of Crackdown before, so I can't really compare them, but this game really suits me well. Not too much talking past the introduction, not too many cutscenes, you have to actually interact with the game to do everything, it isn't extremely automated (aside from the lock-on aiming, I suppose). It's great. The mission design is very basic, you pretty much just go around doing what would be a side activity no one cares about in other open world games, but because the game requires so much interaction from you, it still feels compelling.

I won't disagree that it "feels like a last gen game", but to me this says more about how terrible most open world games are these days than how obsolete Crackdown 3 is. Thank God we've been getting more of these gamey ass games, with RE2, DMC5, and now Crackdown 3. I'll even include KH III here, it has five billion cutscenes every three steps, but if you skip them you have a very gamey experience that feels straight out of a PS2, if the PS2 could handle levels as large as those.

It really bothers me that "feeling last gen" is such a terrible sin, apparently. Last gen has some of my favorite games of all time. There's only a single game this generation I'd rank higher than Dark Souls, Bloodborne, which is basically a prettier version of the Dark Souls formula. It's crazy to think that a lot of people seem to perceive a linear evolution in the medium, and sincerely think every game from this generation that goes along with the current trends is necessarily better than anything from previous generations.

You've expressed the thoughts that I've been stewing towards the eventual critical reception of this game exactly. In general, I prefer the design approaches of previous gen experiences, and the more games I experience of this generation, the more firm I become in my admiration for mechanically-driven and gameplay-centric experiences. It could be the fact that I have been throughout this generation, and continue to, play through games from multiple generations past that makes me more tolerant of 'outdated design' but I genuinely think it's helped me be more discerning on which things are sound game design and which things aren't, irrespective of which era they are common.

Hearing claims that, for one example, The Last Guardian was an archaic experience totally clashed with the wonder and awe with that game and that it's comfortably in my top 5 games of the generation. Wading through those horrid preview and visual downgrade threads led me to realize that this was the pure anti-thesis of RDR 2 and its 97 score, but in the best possible sense, one that respected and embraces the interactivity of the medium and which set out for a more light-hearted, stylized experience.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I am glad some of us are enjoying the game for what it is; to be honest, I think is the simplicity of "pick up n play," without having to worry much about deep gameplay, story or else what makes it so much fun. It is not perfect, have its flaws, looks good-but-simplistic at the same time... yeah, and yet it is crazy fun solo or coop.

Lately we've had a few great games come out, and it seems to me with every new game, a new level of difficulty and steep learning curve is added--which is fine! but sometimes is just great to simply run around collecting orbs, blowing up stuff and trying crazy stunts without worrying much about anything. It is not going to win any awards or change the industry in any way; but it is a sweet option for mindless gameplay fun. It is more Crackdown madness.

Feb 15, 2018
Some shots

iverdenai_crackdown3copjn9.png

iverdenai_crackdown3cjck98.png
Nice shots. I bought an Xbox 1X, a year of Gamepass and an LG OLED TV last weekend. This looks like the perfect game for it.