• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Great to see Sumo went for a full 3D map by the way. The 2017 build still had a 2D map only like in the previous Crackdown games.

3d-map6rd4a.png
Yeah I think they nailed the UI in general. Looks both modern and very Crackdown at the same time.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was a big fan of this franchise but times change and mechanics and technology progress.

Everything about this game looks archaic, stale and underwhelming and the destructibility - which was one of the most hyped features when this was first announced - is nowhere to be seen in the single-player game.

I've got this on game pass so I'll still give it a shot but that video looked flat out boring.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I was a big fan of this franchise but times change and mechanics and technology progress.

Everything about this game looks archaic, stale and underwhelming and the destructibility - which was one of the most hyped features when this was first announced - is nowhere to be seen in the single-player game.

I've got this on game pass so I'll still give it a shot but that video looked flat out boring.

In what way have mechanics progressed such that jumping around in a big city blowing things up and collecting orbs would be any less fun now than it was in 2006?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Agents had tons of flaws, but the movement and shooting mechanics were actually fun and way above what I remember from CD1. Agents works perfectly with free aim, Crackdown 3 seemingly is still built around lock-on. So yeah, the guy has a point.
Visually both games are on the same level from what I see here, but Agents has better animations.
If you want free aim, you're asking for a different game. Crackdown has always had lock on aiming. Don't mess with a mechanic that works well and screw it up. Play a different game instead.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Cloud based Destruction was announced as a MP only feature all along.

Imagine the backlash if they required an internet connection so that people could properly play the SP.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Sorry but I think comments like this are rather ignorant and incredibly disrespectful to the developers who put in hard work to get this game together. The art style or gameplay mechanics don't appeal to you? That's fine and fair, but that's no reason to shit on the efforts done by hard working people.
You know what they say; those who cant do - critique those who can. Lol

Mar 23, 2018
Yeah, I don't think this is my cup of tea, at all. The artstyle and the map look cool, though. If it looked more Saints Row-ish, I think I'd like it more, but I get that this is not what the game is aiming to(Didn't play CD or CD2).

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
A fun game is a fun game. It looks okay, but I am really over these kind of games after games like Spider-Man and inFamous just do it better. Hell even the Saint's Row games.

Will say it looks much improved over previous showings.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
In what way have mechanics progressed such that jumping around in a big city blowing things up and collecting orbs would be any less fun now than it was in 2006?
It's missing a Sad Dad! But seriously, it looks great, crackdown 2 was a let down, this looks like the sequel cd 1 deserved.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Any news on Crackdown 2 being added to BC and enhanced. I am aure I might've made a mistake by buying it but it was a $5 mistake so whatever.

Almost done with 1 a d would love to dive into 2 again.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
A fun game is a fun game. It looks okay, but I am really over these kind of games after games like Spider-Man and inFamous just do it better. Hell even the Saint's Row games.

How do you know the other games do it better? Have you played CD3?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
That's the consensus Spencer has been fighting for. I am sure CD3 will please all CD fans. People are being harsh on it will probably change their minds if the online portion is highly received.

Gameplay wise it looks dated as fuck. I understand orb collecting around environments/city's is a staple for the series, but it's 2018.

Graphics wise I'm actually impressed with character models, and art style. But damn if that gameplay looks dated as fuck. I can see this appealing to the crackdown fan crowd. But being a staple pillar franchise I don't see it being bigger than orginal.

Putting this out gameplay wise expecting gears of war or Halo popularity is a pipedream. And this game has had a terrible development from what I've heard and read.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Obviously not. And obviously my opinion can change upon release. I don't get these kinds of posts.

Would you feel better if I said "it looks like they do it better"?
I dont feel anything either way tbh.

I feel the same way about posts like yours. I find it hard to talk shit about anything unless I've actually experienced it for myself. That's just me tho.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously not. And obviously my opinion can change upon release. I don't get these kinds of posts.

Would you feel better if I said "it looks like they do it better"?

It would be cool to know exactly what you think they do better. The enjoyment one gets from Crackdown comes from a completely different arena when compared to Infamous and Spiderman...

In infamous, You aren't wall-riding a hightech sports car up a sky scraper, then bailing as it hurls into a crowd of Rocket-launching enemies, then finishing them with A chain reaction explosion ignited by a mid-air shot to the cars fuel tank as you free fall to safety.

I think it's fair that someone asks if you ever played crackdown if you are going to argue it "looks" like spiderman and infamous do what Crackdown does, but better. All three games have completely different goals and strengths.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Gameplay wise it looks dated as fuck. I understand orb collecting around environments/city's is a staple for the series, but it's 2018.

So what would make it less dated in your opinion? Genuinely would like to know, as having played through the original again recently, other than the controls, the gameplay was still fun. Collecting the orbs and levelling up was still addictive fun, even though I'd got them all previously, and just going to town on the gangs and freaks with grenades and rocket launchers is very satisfying.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It would be cool to know exactly what you think they do better. The enjoyment one gets from Crackdown comes from a completely different arena when compared to Infamous and Spiderman...

In infamous, You aren't wall-riding a hightech sports car up a sky scraper, then bailing as it hurls into a crowd of Rocket-launching enemies, then finishing them with A chain reaction explosion ignited by a mid-air shot to the cars fuel tank as you free fall to safety.

I think it's fair that someone asks if you ever played crackdown if you are going to argue it "looks" like spiderman and infamous do what Crackdown does, but better. All three games have completely different goals and strengths.

Yup. Being a huge Crackdown fan I went into Infamous expecting something similar, but with a stronger emphasis on storytelling, and I walked away with a huge disappointment. A promising concept, and not a bad game, but the end result just doesn't scratch the same itch (and honestly, overall it doesn't hold a candle to Crackdown).

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So what would make it less dated in your opinion? Genuinely would like to know, as having played through the original again recently, other than the controls, the gameplay was still fun. Collecting the orbs and levelling up was still addictive fun, even though I'd got them all previously, and just going to town on the gangs and freaks with grenades and rocket launchers is very satisfying.

Orb collecting is something that has become used in almost every open world game. From assassins creed, to Imfamous. Collecting for the sake of it is something that doesn't show off great when it is just that collecting.

I would be nice to have some change up, instead of collecting orbs in open area's that you hover/fly and jump around in. Why not make it more about combat from the air similar to a lock on system or ground impound that has lock on for Enemies? Lock on to an enemy from mid air jump, you can do a halo 5 style type of ground impound that kills certain enemies or takes away their armor/shield and they drop power up orbs?

Make it more about the user being able to utilize the open map against enemies to do different combo's that will yield them/ reward them orbs for trying different things.

Makes it more engaging and rewarding when player is given choice in how they can acquire these power orbs that help make them stronger. Running around going from city rooftop or some kind of mountain face to the next, is something you would see in Prototype which is a game from 2009.

Look at how that game Extinction came off as. You jump around doing power strikes at giants, and pick up power items to do powerful attacks on them. It did not end well for that game. Not saying that it's in the same state in terms of polish as CRACKDOWN. Crackdown looks like they polished as much as they could with the given extra time, it shows for sure.

But the gameplay loop is still something seen from way last gen. Reminds me of saints row. Which gameplay wise is also old. It's humor and not serious tone is what drives it apart. Crackdown feels like a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. It seems like it's trying to ride that thin line between a infamous type of game mixed with saints row.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Orb collecting is something that has become used in almost every open world game. From assassins creed, to Imfamous. Collecting for the sake of it is something that doesn't show off great when it is just that collecting.

I would be nice to have some change up, instead of collecting orbs in open area's that you hover/fly and jump around in. Why not make it more about combat from the air similar to a lock on system or ground impound that has lock on for Enemies? Lock on to an enemy from mid air jump, you can do a halo 5 style type of ground impound that kills certain enemies or takes away their armor/shield and they drop power up orbs?

Make it more about the user being able to utilize the open map against enemies to do different combo's that will yield them/ reward them orbs for trying different things.

Makes it more engaging and rewarding when player is given choice in how they can acquire these power orbs that help make them stronger. Running around going from city rooftop or some kind of mountain face to the next, is something you would see in Prototype which is a game from 2009.

Look at how that game Extinction came off as. You jump around doing power strikes at giants, and pick up power items to do powerful attacks on them. It did not end well for that game. Not saying that it's in the same state in terms of polish as CRACKDOWN. Crackdown looks like they polished as much as they could with the given extra time, it shows for sure.

But the gameplay loop is still something seen from way last gen. Reminds me of saints row. Which gameplay wise is also old. It's humor and not serious tone is what drives it apart. Crackdown feels like a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. It seems like it's trying to ride that thin line between a infamous type of game mixed with saints row.

I want Crackdown. It doesn't need to do any of the things you mention. No game I can think of does collecting orbs like it's done in CD.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Um... What you described is pretty much how crackdown works...

Agility orbs is just one way to build your Agility skill. You can also do Agility races.

You build your strength skill by using physical attacks to kill enemies. You get strength orbs.

You build your explosive skill by blowing enemies up. And your shooting skill by using guns. You get explosive/shooting orbs respectively.

Your driving skill by using vehicles to kill enemies and completing races and stunt challenges.

When you chain multiple skills to kill enemies, you Get orbs for multiple skills at once. So if I build up my strength and Agility enough that I can scale a building while carrying a Mack truck then, throw it into a group of enemies standing near explosive barrels, I'll get strength and explosive orbs - enabled by my decision to build Agility earlier. Ofcourse if I leveled skills in a different way, I'd be free to tackle the mission differently, using a different skill set.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Um... What you described is pretty much how crackdown works...

Agility orbs is just one way to build your Agility skill. You can also do Agility races You build your strength skill by using physical attacks to kill enemies. You build your explosive skill by blowing enemies up. And your shooting skill by using guns. Your driving skill by using vehicles to kill enemies and completing races and stunt challenges. When you use combos to kill enemies, you level up multiple skills at once.

Yea I know and all that or most of it was how it played in Crackdown .....from 2007. Wish it was a more organic setup instead of challenges in how things are setup for you to progress power wise.

Thats what I'm saying.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

This is always how Crackdown worked though, you upgrade your characters' skills by using those specific skills. you get driving orbs by driving, shooting orbs by shooting etc...

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
So it's just gonna be go to X and complete X objective X amount of times and bring out the boss? I mean I get that's what the original was but I feel like there is so much more than can be done. I'm interested to see how open and viable experimentation actually is or if you just run in and bang bang shoot every X objective.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Because the open world setup feels just like that, which is what Saints row felt like. A giant playground where you do crazy shit to get more powerful, but the actual city is lack luster.

It feels old in it's design which was a lot of other games back last gen. Games in terms of open world are more dynamic now, and it would have been nice to have your progression be less about you doing challenges and just exploring the city and naturally getting stronger through your activities instead of it being a metric like a challenge thats tracked.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Because the open world setup feels just like that, which is what Saints row felt like. A giant playground where you do crazy shit to get more powerful, but the actual city is lack luster.

It feels old in it's design which was a lot of other games back last gen. Games in terms of open world are more dynamic now, and it would have been nice to have your progression be less about you doing challenges and just exploring the city and naturally getting stronger through your activities instead of it being a metric like a challenge thats tracked.

So it's just gonna be go to X and complete X objective X amount of times and bring out the boss? I mean I get that's what the original was but I feel like there is so much more than can be done. I'm interested to see how open and viable experimentation actually is or if you just run in and bang bang shoot every X objective.

Exactly my point. I guess if thats all people want then give it to them which from what ive seen is what this is. But like I said to me in 2018 it feels old.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I have to ask you a question, have you ever played a Crackdown game? Seriously, please answer that. Because most of what you're suggesting has been a part of Crackdown since day one. Each character attribute is improved through "orbs", i.e. experience points visualized as tiny orbs. Kill a character with melee, including ground pounds, and you get experience points for your Strength attribute. Doing it by using guns raises Firearms, explosive weapons improve Explosives and so on. Often you'll be getting different types of orbs/experience points simultaneously, and their ratio and amount depends on what you did and how. Agility is the attribute that you raise by collecting special containers called Agility orbs, but also by finding Hidden orbs, doing checkpoint races, and, in Crackdown 2, figuring out how to capture Renegade orbs.

Agility orb collecting in Crackdown has never been "collecting for the sake of it", it serves a very tangible and very important function of improving your character's Agility attribute. In addition to that, getting to many of them is an environmental puzzle that you need to figure out and skillfully execute, so they are not just window dressing or a collectible, they are a part of gameplay.

And the bolded part - I have no words. Crackdown has always been Crackdown, and Infamous and Saints Row are both series that have tried to imitate certain aspects of it, with varying success.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

That is how it works.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I know and all that or most of it was how it played in Crackdown .....from 2007. Wish it was a more organic setup instead of challenges in how things are setup for you to progress power wise.

Thats what I'm saying.

I guess I don't understand what yours suggesting.

You say the game should

But that's exactly how it works.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This discussion feels like a different reality. People asking for things what Crackdown exactly is haha.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I have to ask you a question, have you ever played a Crackdown game? Seriously, please answer that. Because most of what you're suggesting has been a part of Crackdown since day one. Each character attribute is improved through "orbs", i.e. experience points visualized as tiny orbs. Kill a character with melee, including ground pounds, and you get experience points for your Strength attribute. Doing it by using guns raises Firearms, explosive weapons improve Explosives and so on. Often you'll be getting different types of orbs/experience points simultaneously, and their ratio and amount depends on what you did and how. Agility is the attribute that you raise by collecting special containers called Agility orbs, but also by finding Hidden orbs, doing checkpoint races, and, in Crackdown 2, figuring out how to capture Renegade orbs.

Agility orb collecting in Crackdown has never been "collecting for the sake of it", it serves a very tangible and very important function of improving your character's Agility attribute. In addition to that, getting to many of them is an environmental puzzle that you need to figure out and skillfully execute, so they are not just window dressing or a collectible, they are a part of gameplay.

And the bolded part - I have no words. Crackdown has always been Crackdown, and Infamous and Saints Row are both series that have tried to imitate certain aspects of it, with varying success.

Yes, a long time ago. What i was trying to get out in that post was I wish the city was more of a character than a backdroo for just sandboxing jumping around, and doing challenge style tracking of abilities through different things you do. Which was similar to the later saints row games when it got wacky with powers. The city should have more character, and be something that feels organic instead of having challenges be tracked from you doing specific actions that level up those aspects. Like spiderman has you try a bunch of different shit when you unlock or pruchase different suits, and doing combos yeild different things. Like theres no manual at a certain point when you can interact with the environment and use a shit load of gadgets in combination with your combat, and your suit abilities that all can chain together.

How you unlock those is kind of shitty though, going specific missions and actions to get tokens. Thats the part that actually detracts from the fun of you having this powerful character and interact with a city that feels alive and doing it the way you want to.

I guess I don't understand what yours suggesting.

You say the game should

But that's exactly how it works.

The city though is one big map with out it feeling like a living city that has organic shit happen. Like unlocking your abilities not through challenges that are met through your just doing whatever. MORE or less you exploring doing random quests/missions that happen organically. Think witcher, GTA V, red dead, and you have your abilities with what ever it starts you with. The setup currently is traverse the city or this area, grab these orbs, super jump over here, super punch these guys or different types of enemies, now you've unlocked this level of strength blah, blah blah.

Imagine a car is on top of a NPC, your strength level is shit, you go over to help, you have to do a "Push" this button has hard as you can, if you don't give up and you get it, you get the xp, and your strength is increased.

Is that in the game?

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
just exploring the city and naturally getting stronger through your activities
But that is how it works...

The more you explore and jump around the city the better your agility gets.

The more you use explosives and firearms the better your explosives and firearms get.

The more you drive around the more your driving skill increases.

etc.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Buddy on PC and me on Xbox. Both taken a day off from work to coop the campaign directly on February 15. Oh man, what a glorious day this will be. Waited 4 years for this moment.

So happy we have Play Anywhere with cross-play for CD3, too.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

I don't see how it's collecting for the sake of it, when you're actually levelling up. You mention AC, a series where you collect things like flags, that have no effect on the protagonist and is just a means to "100%" a game and get you an achievement.

As for your last paragraph, CD has always known what it wants to be, go look back at the launch trailers for the old games, where the general theme is pulling of crazy feats and blowing shit up, the trailers for CD3 have the same exact theme. As for the comparisons to Saints Row, the first 2 are more like GTA games of old, it was the 3rd game that aped the CD gameplay, as CD 1 and 2 both released before it. And whilst I've only played the first Infamous game, going off that, other than the fact that both games feature characters with super powers and have different gangs on each island, they don't really play much alike.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

Go read TruP1aya's post above.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't see how it's collecting for the sake of it, when you're actually levelling up. You mention AC, a series where you collect things like flags, that have no effect on the protagonist and is just a means to "100%" a game and get you an achievement.

As for your last paragraph, CD has always known what it wants to be, go look back at the launch trailers for the old games, where the general theme is pulling of crazy feats and blowing shit up, the trailers for CD3 have the same exact theme. As for the comparisons to Saints Row, the first 2 are more like GTA games of old, it was the 3rd game that aped the CD gameplay, as CD 1 and 2 both released before it. And whilst I've only played the first Infamous game, going off that, other than the fact that both games feature characters with super powers and have different gangs on each island, they don't really play much alike.

My issue is in the city design and questing in how things are unlocked.

Yea, went and rewatched the footage again. NPC's are literally like walking around bare area's. Still feels like prettier crackdown. Which I stand that the design feels old.

Prototype was the same way.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK

I think, seeing as its Christmas with all that festive goodwill hanging in the air, that I may wait to see how CD actually plays myself before deciding that some games do it better, judged purely on a single gameplay video

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017

"One of the most hyped features that was never hyped for single player is a real bummer!!!!1!!"

Some of the posts in here are so lazy and pathetic.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yes, a long time ago. What i was trying to get out in that post was I wish the city was more of a character than a backdroo for just sandboxing jumping around, and doing challenge style tracking of abilities through different things you do. Which was similar to the later saints row games when it got wacky with powers. The city should have more character, and be something that feels organic instead of having challenges be tracked from you doing specific actions that level up those aspects. Like spiderman has you try a bunch of different shit when you unlock or pruchase different suits, and doing combos yeild different things. Like theres no manual at a certain point when you can interact with the environment and use a shit load of gadgets in combination with your combat, and your suit abilities that all can chain together.

How you unlock those is kind of shitty though, going specific missions and actions to get tokens. Thats the part that actually detracts from the fun of you having this powerful character and interact with a city that feels alive and doing it the way you want to.

I'm trying to parse through your posts here, and your suggestions seem so ethereal, I'm having a hard time getting anything substantial out of them.

The city in Crackdown indeed feels like a character, it's very important, and that's why many were disappointed when it was revealed that Crackdown 2 was set in the same location. It's all very freeform, very organic, and there's "no manual". You're thrown into the city and from that point on you decide what you want to do, how you want to do it, and in which orderto attempt things. Your experience will vary drastically depending on those choices. You can even go for the main boss the second you start the game. You will almost certainly fail, but you can do it.

There's a shitload of toys that you unlock, different vehicles you can use to accomplish different things - vehicles with abilites that change depending on your character level - different optional challenges and activities, Keys to the City mode for trying out all sorts of crazy things, alone or with a friend.

If you've really played Crackdown a long time ago, I think it's time you gave it another go, since you've obviously forgotten a lot about it. Perhaps when Crackdown 3 launches, that seems like a good opportunity.