• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Hardcore Microsoft fans have felt like DC fans for a long time now. No matter what DC/Microsoft releases they take it and like it and then they wonder together why none else like it and they keep telling themselves "others just don't get it"

we need a hat saying
"Make videogames fun again"

When your "connect the dots" formulations around discussion on how good/bad a game is end up this labored, I'm not even sure I consider it a good-faith reply.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
What does this even mean?
Not entirely sure, but to me at least it seems like this gen reviews have changed. It feels like reviewers either find a game to be great or garbage and there's really not as much in-between as there used to be. Crackdown 3 is not a masterpiece but there's definitely fun to be had with it and rubbish is too critical imo.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks how this game turned out. I don't use my Xbox for anything other than watching the occasional blu-ray or playing Halo Wars 2.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does this even mean?

It means would any Marvel movie ever win best picture at the Oscars? It seems like some people have a stick up their ass and don't know how to have plain old simple fun. Which is exactly what this game is, it doesn't take itself serious and can be quite enjoyable if you let yourself.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not entirely sure, but to me at least it seems like this gen reviews have changed. It feels like reviewers either find a game to be great or garbage and there's really not as much in-between as there used to be. Crackdown 3 is not a masterpiece but there's definitely fun to be had with it and rubbish is too critical imo.

There are plenty of games that get rated in between rubbish and masterpiece. As it so happens CD3 has landed on the lower end of the spectrum, and for damn good reasons.

starbuck2907

Jan 29, 2018
You gotta remember that Jim also said Apex Legends was basically mediocre and had to re-review it. It's not his best month...

Also, I wouldn't call 3 million players in 48 hours and front page of the Xbox and Windows store a "stealth launch".

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not entirely sure, but to me at least it seems like this gen reviews have changed. It feels like reviewers either find a game to be great or garbage and there's really not as much in-between as there used to be.

It's sitting on 60/100 on Metacritic which sounds about right. That to me means it's a fun but flawed experience.

I just don't get the "it doesn't have to be TLoU" comments that keep popping up. IMO the game has been reviewed based on its own merits and any other explanations just seem like paranoia or strange fanboy logic.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It means would any Marvel movie ever win best picture at the Oscars? It seems like some people have a stick up their ass and don't know how to have plain old simple fun. Which is exactly what this game is, it doesn't take itself serious and can be quite enjoyable if you let yourself.

So Jim and all the other critics and myself, we didn't let ourselves have fun?

Do you suppose we are all masochists or something?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
You gotta remember that Jim also said Apex Legends was basically mediocre and had to re-review it. It's not his best month...

Also, I wouldn't call 3 million players in 48 hours and front page of the Xbox and Windows store a "stealth launch".

It might just be my own social media landscape, but I was confused by Jim's repeated stress about the game being "stealth launched." I saw a lot of traditional web ads, a huge social media push in the ten-ish days before launch (a lot of it centering on Crews' work with the game), and there had been a string of interviews in/around the last few Inside Xbox specials. It had top billing with the launch date for the 15th in the last several trade shows, as well.

Does anyone know what Jim was talking about with this?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Jim and all the other critics and myself, we didn't let ourselves have fun?

Do you suppose we are all masochists or something?

Did I say that? I implied it's not for everyone but some of you think it's unfathomable that others seems to be having fun with it.

It's sitting on 60/100 on Metacritic which sounds about right. That to me means it's a fun but flawed experience.

I just don't get the "it doesn't have to be TLoU" comments that keep popping up. IMO the game has been reviewed based on its own merits and any other explanations just seem like paranoia or strange fanboy logic.

Have you played it?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, Jim Sterling aside almost all reviews are pretty much in the 5/10 range, which is fuckin' right on the money.

I played a couple of hours, and like, it was fine, but I ultimately just felt like I was wasting my time.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I played a few hours of the game last night and while I enjoy the orb collecting the actual game itself hits that repetitive nature fairly quickly and it becomes pretty routine. This was fine in the first game because it was more of a new idea back then but this many years on they needed to take what that game did and add to it. I don't find the platforming or vehicles control all that well but it has been a long time since I played a Crackdown game so maybe that's what they feel like, but it doesn't feel like a first party release.

The issue with this and other recent first party titles that have been mediocre at best (State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves) is that people will say it's not that bad of a deal since you can play it through Game Pass. At the same time it's a full priced retail game that falls well below the mark and personally I would have been even more upset with the game had I paid the $80 instead of $2 for Game Pass this month.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
All just opinions I suppose. I've been having a great time with the game so far. It's not groundbreaking, but it's just fun. I loved the first Crackdown and 3 feels like a natural progression from there. Not every game has to be a huge monumental genre defining thing for me. Sometimes mindlessly blowing up a whole bunch of stuff whilst leaping across buildings and collecting a whole load of orbs feels refreshingly enjoyable.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's fine considering it's part of my ongoing Game Pass subscription, but if I'd paid $60, I'd be a bit regretful. I feel that I'd be fine with a full on purchase if it was $30-40 though (if I had bought it outside of Game Pass, I mean).

It's a bit evocative of a middleware game, and generally that's how I felt about the first two during their releases. And that's not a bad thing.

I really like the aesthetic and while the lock on gameplay feels a bit strange in 2019 when it's not melee centric, jumping around and causing chaos is fun, even if the the feeling of combat feels a bit outdated.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol

WTF are you talking about.

c36GgJQ.png

Just a screenshot of the current MC front site. There are actually more 7s and 8s then ever, every week, again and again...

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did I say that? I implied it's not for everyone but some of you seem it's unfathomable that others seems to be having fun with it.

I've got no problem with people having fun with it.

I just happen to agree with Jim and most of the critics that the game isn't very good.

And that's not because I have a stick up my ass or didn't allow myself to enjoy the game.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All just opinions I suppose. I've been having great fun with the game so far. It's not groundbreaking, but it's just fun. I loved the first Crackdown and 3 feels like a natural progression from there. Not every game has to be a huge monumental genre defining thing for me. Sometimes mindlessly blowing up a whole bunch of stuff whilst leaping across buildings and collecting a whole load of orbs feels refreshingly enjoyable.

Exactly. To me Katamari is a big pile of boredom but obviously others seem to enjoy it. It's amazing how so many like to dogpile on some games, same thing happened with Knack but that actually wasn't too bad and it even got a sequel.

I've got no problem with people having fun with it.

I just happen to agree with Jim and most of the critics that the game isn't very good.

And that's not because I have a stick up my ass or didn't allow myself to enjoy the game.

The reference was about the Ocscars and how the old and grumpy never give fun movies a chance to win best picture. TLoU is a serious game that was very well done with very high production values, Crackdown 3 is far from that. It's silly fun and that I believe was the connection between the two.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see the final cost for development.

Crackdown should be a cornerstone franchise, it's bee woefully mismanaged.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Mediocrity can be fun. Nothing wrong with it.

I watched Happy Death Day 2 U yesterday. I know the movie is shit, but I still had fun watching it.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jim just hates fun, because this game is really funny. Hell even when I watch Twitch streams of Crackdown 3 I can't stop laughing, please send help.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The reference was about the Ocscars and how the old and grumpy never give fun movies a chance to win best picture. TLoU is a serious game that was very well done with very high production values, Crackdown 3 is far from that. It's silly fun and that I believe was the connection between the two.

Fair enough and I apologize for misreading your intention with that statement.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got done watching this. The visuals and gameplay look like some hot garbage. Really hoping MS gets their first party stuff together.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mediocrity can be fun. Nothing wrong with it.

I watched Happy Death Day 2 U yesterday. I know the movie is shit, but I still had fun watching it.

The first one I actually enjoyed, probably because I didn't have very high expectations. I suggest going into this game with the same attitude.

Fair enough and I apologize for misreading your intention with that statement.

No problem at all and if you read my earlier comments about the game it's not like I am trying to sell it on people. I even got flack for it,

https://www.resetera.com/threads/crackdown-3-ot-quack-quack-motherducker.99429/page-21#post-17988436

Jim just hates fun, because this game is really funny. Hell even when I watch Twitch streams of Crackdown 3 I can't stop laughing, please send help.

I don't think he hates fun but it's obvious he has taken the role of being extremely pessimistic. Most of his videos are complaining/being negative about something.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
WTF are you talking about.

c36GgJQ.png

Just a screenshot of the current MC front site. There are actually more 7s and 8s then ever, every week, again and again...

They telling me Moster Energy Supercross, Astroneer, Yokai Watch 3, and Melbits World, are all better than CrackDown 3?
Preposterous.
There is something Rotten in Denmark. Thats whats what.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
They telling me Moster Energy Supercross, Astroneer, Yokai Watch 3, and Melbits World, are all better than CrackDown 3?
Preposterous.

I am sure some people are having fun with those games. Are you saying they are wrong for having fun with them and reviewer reflecting that? Mindless fun no doubt.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preposterous.
Lmao, holy shit. Why can't those games be better than Crackdown 3, exactly? Why is that preposterous?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people are so offended by this game getting whipped in the reviews. I'm playing it too and the reviews are mostly all correct. It's a decently fun, mediocre game. Definitely deserves a rating in the 5 - 7 range.
It's kind of how I feel. It's a fun game (I loved the first Crackdown) but Sterling is right, it doesn't do anything new. It's a perfect Game Pass game and I think MS knows that.