• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The title probably gave it away, but he hates it. The game apparently has rubbish controls, missions, design, graphics, presentation, and feels literally like a mid budget 2007 game in 2019. Sterling recommends playing just about any other open world game over this—not just current gen fare like Far Cry or Just Cause, but even the original Prototype.

I have this downloaded, and I intend to giving this a spin tonight but I am curious as to how Microsoft managed to release a game that is apparently remarkable only in how aggressively unremarkable it is overall.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Game is dope. Give it a try before you knock it. If you don't like it, uninstall.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
The Giantbomb quick look was one of the most negative ones I've seen recently. Usually they're just bored like with Anthem, but this was something else entirely.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, he says go play Saints Row IV instead... I see that's available on PS Now, is it worth playing?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having fun. I enjoy that it feels like a mid-tier game. It's a perfect game pass game.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I'm having a great time with it, but I loved the original, too.

I don't think this game is trying to be the next TLOU, but people are reviewing it like it is.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
In my opinion he is wrong, as are the majority of reviewers. I am loving the game and the fact I don't have to worry about crafting, etc and crap that holds me back from blowing stuff up. Each to their own I suppose!

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a great time with it, but I loved the original, too.

I don't think this game is trying to be the next TLOU, but people are treating it like it.
I mean it's possible for a game not aspiring to push the boundaries of game storytelling and just trying to be fun to be well made as well. See also: Super Mario Odyssey

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
giphy.gif

i agree

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Pretty spot on. I've played for a few hours and killed a few bosses. The game is actually getting worse at this point. The repetitiveness is insane and the combat is unsatisfying garbage. Not to even get started on the vehicles or boring orb placement.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Even know the game is still getting shit. I'm glad it got released.

I'm sure there is still enjoyable parts in the game

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I think Giantbomb said it best, It's a good game pass game because there's no way in hell you should spend 60 dollars on this 7 hour repetitive 360 game lol.

"Just play Crackdown 1"

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Rubbish controls? The game feels great to play. The graphics are perfect for a game like this, and don't diminish the experience one bit. The game looks nice and crisp on the X.

I'm waiting for the Tetris 99 feels like an old game concept take.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to play some good Microsoft exclusives in the future. Quality stuff like Forza.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is why people should express their discomfort immediately instead of "waiting and seeing".

MS studios haven't delivered in years and people just sat down waiting for a miracle. No guys, if they want your money you gotta make then earn it.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
You know, I would have totally pegged Jim as someone who would have liked it! Ah well, to each their own!

I played for around three hours the other day and while I found that the game was never massively thrilling, it was really enjoyable just to control the main character and zoom around the city.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Graphics and controls are fantastic, graphics look incredible in HDR.

Not sure why he has trouble controlling the character lol. Its literally just standard.

I'm having fun with it.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the thing is I would like to know before spending $60

I don't have GamePass and have no interest in it
Makes absolutely no sense, IMO... You can get 2 months of Game Pass for $2 right now (if you're in the US), and try the game, and if you didn't like it, you still have a shitload of other games you could play from there...

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, he says go play Saints Row IV instead... I see that's available on PS Now, is it worth playing?

Play Saints Row The Third and then play Saints Row 4.

They're both amazing.

The first two Saints Row game are also very good but it's the third game where things start getting ridiculous in the best way.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, to each his own. I've been enjoying it a lot since launch in co op with a friend, so there's that. Didn't click with me right away but it sure did now. And for two bucks that's a ridiculous steal.

Also, rubbish controls? Sorry but that's just nonsense, they are absolutely spot on. I get many of the complaints but not this.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
I mean it's possible for a game not aspiring to push the boundaries of game storytelling and just trying to be fun to be well made as well. See also: Super Mario Odyssey
TLOU didn't push the boundaries of game storytelling though, it just ended up popularizing it. I would say games such as Unreal 1 , Half Life and especially The Last Express (despite the latter still not being 100% duplicated) have contributed more in that regard.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand the "perfect for gamepass" comments. Crackdown 3 is helped by gamepass, it doesn't help gamepass. This is the wrong way round as first party games should entice people to pay for gamepass (see games such as Forza Horizon and even Sea of Thieves).

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU didn't push the boundaries of game storytelling though, it just ended up popularizing it. I would say games such as Unreal 1 , Half Life and especially The Last Express (despite the latter has still not been 100% duplicated) have contributed more in that regard.
Sure. My point is that "not trying to be TLOU" doesn't preclude a game from being good.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are giving this game away for really cheap in the UK, you can get a xbox controller + crackdown 3 £60.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Play Saints Row The Third and then play Saints Row 4.

They're both amazing.

The first two Saints Row game are also very good but it's the third game where things start getting ridiculous in the best way.

Nifty, good to know. I've been pondering subscribing to PS Now and was planning to do so once I finished Days Gone, I suppose this might give me one more reason to do so.

Oct 28, 2017

Spend $2 and get a Gamepass then. Even if Crackdown isn't worth that $2 to you, chances are something else will be. Just think of it as a rental you don't have to stay subscribed.

But on Crackdown, I love it. Haven't been able to put it down it's pure fun like the original. Would have fit right in as a Crackdown sequel a decade ago, and I mean that in the best way. Honestly it's the most fun I've had with an open world game in this way since Sunset Overdrive. Also, Prototype was amazing I'd love a Prototype 3.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

While I think it's fine to check if a game is something you want to spend money on. If you are not entirely sure if you want to play it, testing the game on Gamepass isn't a bad idea at all.

Why are you not interested in it? (I understand why some people like to own their games and there is nothing wrong with it. But I mean, as a service to 'test' games.)

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Trolling
I think we all know Sterling has a stick up his arse for microsoft this generation. He probably still holds a grudge over the xbox one unveiling event. Not to say the game isnt shite. But i like the visual and neon aesthetic. I have yet to play this though

May 5, 2018
I actually thought Jim released a 30 second video where he shows some footage, says it's rubbish and ends the video. It's actually almost 13 minutes long.