• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
I got a different take on Cozy Atmosphere...

What comes to mind is not the environment the game is in, but one it might create, mainly by its background music.

With that said, I give you 'Wii eShop music'

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Since Breath of the Wild has been mentioned, I'll put up Windfall Island from Wind Waker as my candidate

0403269816f460949fcb0bdfd75c5dea.jpg

The concept of a small island town is so comforting to me, and Windfall does it so well.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
The homebase in Monster Hunter World, something about the major communal spirit of the place, everybody working together for the good of the expedition without any self serving interests, it just sinks right in.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Attack of the Friday Monsters, an amazing game that makes you feel nostalgia for a childhood you never even had.
Made by the My Summer Vacation people and released on the 3DS, I'd kill for a Switch port.
Cmon Level 5, port it and the other Guild games!

rvNJnBH.jpg
This sounds fantastic. Is it open world or linear open world?

Edit: I see now. Will definitely try it.

Last edited:

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018

The Nexus in Demon's Souls is one of the saddest and most melancholic places I've seen in a video game. Yet, its atmosphere is very cozy. Whenever you finish a world, you have to come back to the nexus and choose your next destination. The characters are very symbolic, their ideas and goals are very different than most NPC's you'd find in a video game. And yes, "The monumental awaits thee above".

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

I used to love keeping the Animal Crossing attract mode running on my gamecube while I was drawing or doing something else. The relaxing music was always so cosy, and I loved watching the villagers go about their day without me. This was the first game to show me the value in slowing down and enjoying the world rather than rushing to accomplish a task.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This might sound weird, but MGS1. The idea of infiltrating a military base during a blizzard with only a radio to communicate always seemed cozy to me. It helps that the game has a great ambience and contrast between safe/dangerous areas. Crawling around in air ducts while shit is going down is thrilling, yet cozy.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
Man, games are the coziest medium for sure. So many good answers in this thread. I thought of Breath of the Wild first as well, Zelda games have always been cozy and those towns in the BotW are just top tier.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Skyrim. Sorry, I thought I had put it along with the .gif. Though, as a disclaimer, the game is probably modded, given the nicer barrel textures.

Oh, didn't expected it to be Skyrim, the setting looked kinda samey from what i played of it (Which wasn't much tbh).

It gave me a sorta late 90's adventure vibes for some reason. Like something pre rendered.

The composition of this gif is really great, btw.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
Pretty much anything you want around a small Japanese town:
Shenmue 1 (Sega)

BcRCYysCAAAo-0h.png

Attack of the Friday Monsters (Level 5)
14.jpg

Etc

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
The different areas in NBA Playgrounds 2 just feel so homey, they make for half of the appeal of the game for me. Very cosy atmozphere. And they add new free ones regularly !

079836.jpg

NBA2KPlaygrounds2_Switch_Test_012.jpg

I also think the save rooms in Persona 5 dungeons are very cosy. All the characters are relaxing, the music is nice.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Ru...
Gravity Rush 2. Especially after a certain part of the game.

Pokemon Platinum too.
Flying through Lei Having was great, that music was heavenly
Listen to them.

Gravity Rush 1 and 2 have some really amazing feeling. Sometimes I even like sitting in Kat's room when I want to take a break. That's how immersive it was to me.

Kamorucho from Yakuza is another good one. Revisiting it each game and seeing what changed is awesome. It is like revisiting your home town.

I also like Onomichi and Okinawa. Shenmue 1 is another great choice.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
FFVIII's Balamb Garden or Balamb for me. The calm school/small port town atmosphere really contrasts with the themes of war.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush.
No enemies in the open world outside of missons is a great idea for creating a comfy atmosphere, more games should do it.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
Yonder, The Cloud Catcher Chronicles:

The game has no combat, and a wonderful atmosphere.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
My first thought was Super Mario Sunshine. My second thought was Hearthstone.