• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Were there any black people in the writing room? This scene 100% should have been axed or rewritten. Some white guys writing these lines is huh really not acceptable. It's unnecessary blatant black fetishism.
I'd like to know the same. I'd doubt it and even if there was, to think that was ok is so wrong regardless.

I think this show would benefit with a lot more editing. Basically trimming the fat. Some scenes with weird, bad and or offensive dialogue like that could've been cut completely or cut short. Weird scenes where it feels like they're just standing there can be trimmed ( big on episode 1).

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
I had to stop watching. It's honestly too painful. The whole thing is way too cheap, the acting is atrocious with how it tries to sort of mimic anime stuff but not really, and the humour just doesn't land at all and just makes me cringe. Honestly a miss on all accounts.

MAJOR SPOILER:

They really fucking cranked Ed up to a 12:

This is exactly what I mean. I can't watch this shit. It doesn't work at all.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Most of the actors fessed up to not being familiar with the source until after being cast (not uncommon). The actress that plays Julia stated she watches the anime once a year though. I found that amusing.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to know people are writing off the show by looking at a clip of what is the last 2 minutes of the entire season.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
objectively hilarious that they hid Ed in all the marketing material and then randomly reveal them in quite possibly the world's worst clip ever released

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
MAJOR SPOILER:

They really fucking cranked Ed up to a 12:

The quirkiness of the character would've been better expressed in a more understated manner for an adaptation, as having her be exactly the same as the anime in terms of loudness and exaggeration of mannerisms simply doesn't translate to live-action without being awkward.

Last edited:

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I didn't care for that line either, and I actually liked this show. It sounded corny and really weird, which I think was the point. To be fair, they did establish her character as being weirdly fixated on Jet in an earlier episode, saying he's a tall glass of hot cholocate or something. Again, I think the point was to make her out to be a weirdo character that Jet spurns. It feels like a line from a noir-film character who's chasing after another character.

Out of context and in a tweet, it sounds 200% awful, but within context it's still lame.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So I won't be able to watch until tomorrow, but quick impressions from fans. Is this shit or is it a decent adaptation?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So I won't be able to watch until tomorrow, but quick impressions from fans. Is this shit or is it a decent adaptation?

bb0ec3d5987cff5c6bf8699b0d4e53b2.jpg

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yo. I'm gonna be straight up. I enjoyed the show. I was ready to give it a 7/10, but damn

The Ed reveal straight up deflated me.

Its brought it down to a 5/10. Like goddamn. Any good will I had almost all of it went out the window. I'll check out season two, if they do have one, but it needs to go through changes in writing and fight choreography. The actors were great. The changes they made, some made sense, but damn. That moment deflated me.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly can't tell because the reactions here are as divisive as the reviews.

The CB reddit and discord are absolutely hating it though. My expectations are low so I'm wondering how the general audience will see things.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
of all the changes, why is Ed basically the same but infinitely more annoying

why hide Ed in the promotional material when Ed is gonna be the exact same lol

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, so far, I'm kinda enjoying it. A solid 7/10. There's some issues with some awful dialogue and moments, but I feel the characters ultimately work.

I'm legit not getting where all these "this is the worst thing ever" takes are coming from. Though I will say that the first episode is a pretty bad first episode. Gets better from there.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I do find it hilarious that the guy who plays Jet is actually younger than John Cho.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
of all the changes, why is Ed basically the same but infinitely more annoying

why hide Ed in the promotional material when Ed is gonna be the exact same lol
Because Ed isn't in most of the season, but the last two minutes. You can't really promote a character when they are basically your stinger for a season 2.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinkin about paying for a month of 4khdr netflix for this, anyone wanna tell me if that's a bad idea? Is it sufficiently 4key and HDRish?

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago

I'm halfway through and for me it's fascinating. The overall show is not bad (the interactions between the main 3 are consistently good albeit with some weak writing) but there are some moments that are some of the worst TV I've seen outside the CW. Their decisions to adapt certain characters are baffling.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Bums me out that people are so mad/upset by the show. I "get" it to some degree, but it feels like people can't have fun anymore. Seems like nothing is able to be "worthwhile" nowadays unless it's a perfect adaptation that takes all the content seriously and has the air of prestige television.

I have a feeling that years down the road this show will join the ranks of things like the Mario Brothers movie, Godzilla '98, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat as all being "bad adaptations" of their respective series, but really fun in their own regard with cult followings. This show feels like such an obvious passion project, they just made a social miscalculation in leaning harder in the wacky/cheesy direction than they did in the serious direction. And people aren't going to like that.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Bums me out that people are so mad/upset by the show. I "get" it to some degree, but it feels like people can't have fun anymore. Seems like nothing is able to be "worthwhile" nowadays unless it's a perfect adaptation that takes all the content seriously and has the air of prestige television.

I have a feeling that years down the road this show will join the ranks of things like the Mario Brothers movie, Godzilla '98, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat as all being "bad adaptations" of their respective series, but really fun in their own regard with cult followings. This show feels like such an obvious passion project, they just made a social miscalculation in leaning harder in the wacky/cheesy direction than they did in the serious direction. And people aren't going to like that.
It was funny because in their review, Double Toasted said the same thing. The adaption kind of has this unique style that they feel will make it have a cult following in a few years.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
If you're comparing this to the anime, whew boy you're probably gonna hate it

But if you see it as a remix of sorts, it's probably a 7/10. It's hammy and feels like it tries too hard sometimes but overall it's fun

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
User warned: drive-by posting
Cannot believe there are people out there defending this piece of shit lmao

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
After 2 episodes, im done. Is the soundtrack available anywhere yet? I would still like to hear Kanno's new arrangements.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017

Me too, it's really weird to see how people just revel in hatred and lash out. Also, I find it really funny that people ditch all etiquette and decorum for putting out spoilers if it's a show that's "disliked". It's not even 12 hours and people are already sharing end of season stuff and appearances. That sucks.

I guess spoiler rules are BS in the end, lol.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to episode 5, and while I'll say it's not a "good" adaptation, it's an enjoyable show, and I'm starting to really enjoy the interaction between the main crew (especially with Faye Valentine, her actor plays the scenes really well).

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Me too, it's really weird to see how people just revel in hatred and lash out. Also, I find it really funny that people ditch all etiquette and decorum for putting out spoilers if it's a show that's "disliked". It's not even 12 hours and people are already sharing end of season stuff and appearances. That sucks.

Specifically for this I think there were multiple factors in play. I think one of the Netflix twitter accounts tweeted a spoilerish clip literally this morning as the show premiered which is ????? and also people heard there was a surprise at the end so they just skipped ahead.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

One of the show's most ardent defenders on this forum spoiled it 40 minutes after the show went live. I agree it's super annoying.