• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
No-one will be held accountable, but people should learn as a species not to turn a blind eye to diseases spreading wildly in another country. Hopefully more global emergency legislation and procedures come from this.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the way chinese authorities handled the whole thing is bordeerline criminal if not outright so, no freedom of expresion over there tho.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
My mom thinks he's doing great.

Let that sink in.
Here's a quote from my mom, "Despite what you hear Trump worked super fast to contain this."
FOX NEWS IS ON THAT SPIN CYCLE!!!

giphy.gif

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
It is up to the voters to hold the Trump administration accountable. If this is cleared up by November, do not forget how terrible their response to this was.

Vote.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Do you remember when Ellen was at a baseball game with George Bush and Samantha Bee facilitated Glenn Beck's grifter redemption tour.

If we can't even get ostensible allies to take monsters from the old guard to task, what's going to happen here?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Nope. Not at all. In fact we will probably unlearn valuable things and hold people less accountable.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
I think we will see the following changes in the short-term:
- all countries and the WHO will become much better prepared for these type of pandemics
- countries will boost their industrial capability and supply chain resilience

Over time the memory of this will fade and the desire to make money will win, so we'll end up back to where we before this crisis eventually.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If you're talking about the politicians who are making the calls here and fumbling daily, it's unlikely. I can't think of an example where fumbling the ball in critical decision making has resulted in much aside from resignation or career killing. And these days your career is just moving to cable TV.

I'm more of the idea that the Chinese government will be accused of a coverup and some international issues will take place following the end of this. This is no matter who wins the US election. That will be called your justice and them being held accountable.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I could see this all blowing over like usual if coronavirus just disappeared from the earth tomorrow.

We are looking at months, upward to a year though of this crisis with it very likely impacting a massive number of humans in some way personally. I can't see the complacency of people taking over this time when their very survival is threatened. Expecting some levels of civil unrest to follow due to the pandemic followed by poverty from a global economy that enters a depression.

The politicians though are above the law so they'll slither away as usual.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only country that really honestly would deserve a passing grade for how they've handled this situation is South Korea. Everyone else gets a failing grade.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Austria yes. I think we will hold people in Tyrol accountable. Things got really big here in the news. The ones that are responsible for the situation are well known now.

In America?
No

People still shout Trump. I don't know what's up with America but it doesn't look too hot.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
according to facebook idiots i run into, trump supporters basically think covid19 is the flu and everyone who 'complains' about it is a snowflake and trump is doing great. people literally fucking dying, hospitals overrun... theres a hospital a block from me, a doctor was interviewed for the news and said it's apocalyptic, worse than 9/11 in the hospital (we're in queens)... but these dumb fuckheads think its the fucking flu. Obviously they know better than people who are actually there.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You can hold people accountable for how they handled it, though that's probably not happening, but you can't really hold anyone accountable for the virus itself.
I guess the closest you can come to that is pressure China into changing their regulations regarding wet markets so that hunted meat is not sold at the same place as farmed meat, as well as changing the conditions they are stored in (i.e. cages stacked on top of each other thereby the top ones infecting everything underneath them)

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Knowing how hundreds of thousands of people will die from it, I doubt even the officials who neglected on this crisis will be held accountable.

When this is all over (assuming it'll ever be over), we will just go back and act like nothing happened. And learn not a single goddamn thing from this.

At this point, I'm welcoming a goddamn meteor to take us all out. I'm so done with this life

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Accountable for what? That china didnt react fast enough so that the virus could leave the country? Or that they tried to hide it? Or that italys reaction lead to a spread in europe? Or that Austrias Ischgl didnt react correct and developed to a Corona hotspot? Or that the USA have an Idiot as president who did everything in the past to make this pandemic more problematic? Or the UKs fatal strategy?

We are all accountable and no one is. Do we have to search for a fault in a time where we have to secure everybody that is at risk?

We are social animals and we created this virus in a kind with our actions. China is the product of our consume and sometimes we have to pay the price. We are sitting in the same boat now. Everybody, every country, every religion.

Oct 27, 2017
You have to wait at least a month or two before planning the tribunals, right now it hasn't really hit the general public how many people will die and how hard it is to deal with death on that scale.

Most people think this is still a bipartisan issue, no one they know is intubated or dying so it's just filed under "Other Peoples Problems". I am glad that there are at least some states that took it seriously since we can show how different the outcomes might be. I think that it is most likely that this will lead to the end of a lot of political careers and push for more transparency and accountability in government decision making but no one can say anything for sure at this point.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean China is currently saying the US created the virus and launched it into China so yeah I'm not sure you should expect them to self regulate anything in their country and owning up to any mistakes regarding wet markets.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
All this will result in is stronger border control and restrictions for every country moving forward.
It's a bit of a wake up call seeing how fast this thing spread and brought the entire world to its knees in a matter of months.
If this virus had been Ebola there would be hundreds of millions dead right now.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
No, if we are not allowed to blame China & WHO for covering it up together since November, we can't blame Trump either.

mashoutposse

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No criminal accountability.

Fewer supply chains will be all-in China.

Global collaboration around the monitoring of emerging infectious disease will increase.

Political views will move further to the extremes as everyone blames someone else.

Certain population segments may renew their respect in science and expertise.

Xenophobia will increase.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I would like to see China pressured into starting a FDA type organization but i don't know if that would hold any real power

Trump admin will skirt by, if this had happened in 2019 then dems would be able to use everything leading up to 2020 election really hammer home blame

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think the only possible outcome that leads to any sort of consequences is if one country does significantly worse of a job of dealing with it than others. If all of Europe gets this shit under control and it's going mad in America, I feel like the news might filter down that Trump has seriously mismanaged things. But I might be wishful thinking.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I mean China is currently saying the US created the virus and launched it into China so yeah I'm not sure you should expect them to self regulate anything in their country and owning up to any mistakes regarding wet markets.

They are at least paying lip service toward shutting down the markets, but that's not the problem. China's problem is *once again* their first response is to cover it up, waste time that should be spent contact tracing and stopping the spread, punishing doctors who take an enormous risk speaking up on behalf of public health

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Who knows? This is like speculating in 1939 what the world would be like after the war.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Of course not

Do you honestly expect any real accountability or meaningful positive changes in this day and age?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knew you could be infected for a week before you ever showed any symptoms, which made it so much easier to spread. It was those early days when nobody understood it that it got out of control. I can't see blaming anyone specifically for this. It was going to happen no matter what anyone did. As much as I hate Trump, he couldn't stop this. I still see people in parks getting too close to one another. Humans, in general, don't take anything seriously until it's already too late.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already know.

Not enough.
Clearly, since like you said you're not an expert so you would know. Are you seriously going to argue that a travel ban and a pandemic designation should have been in place in December/January? The WHO wasn't even involved until January. If you recall Trump instituted his travel ban in January. Whatever good that did, the virus was already in the US by that point. Travel bans aren't particularly effective.

Last edited:

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
It's clear that we've abandoned our basic humanity. Unless there's a massive cultural shift the world over, it's unlikely we'll learn any positive lessons.

Instead, countries will use this experience to see how effectively a virus can disable a society and it'll usher in a new era of bio warfare.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
China should be held accountable above all else. The Chinese government should pay the price. They won't.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The chinese leadership should be executed. The Trump administration should be abolished. Will it happen? Fuck no.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
No. It's a virus that nobody understands right now
How can you hold people accountable when as of right now we don't even know what the correct decisions are? For all we know the countries doing this 'right' will be struggling with massive outbreaks in 6 months while the rest of the world will have moved on.