• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Today I had a lady tell me she was gonna wait until people got it so she could see the outcome, which is a very common belief. Makes no sense since millions already go it but whatever, at least more and more people are coming around.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It took me getting the first dose for my group of folks to desire getting it, especially since I had no side-effects from it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The hope was always that skepticism would fade once the vaccine became actually real for people, so this is great news.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Goood, ppl need to realize that if the vaccine had significant side affects we'd hear about it by now. Like 100million ppl have gotten a vaccine and we ain't hearing nothing but some tired ppl/high fevers

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
All my fam (black) got them shots the minute they could get scheduled. The fear of dying outweighed their level of distrust

My wife's side (white) is a bit more broad. Her dad is out there wilding (hard R), but he's already had it so he has some natural immunity I guess. At least she and her mom got their shots.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily my parents (Mexican) didn't give me much hassle when I signed them up. My friend who works at a hospital called me to let me know they were extending it to family and friends of the employees as they are not doing public roll out there yet. So I signed them up. They just got their second Pfizer dose on Friday and thankfully they had no symptoms. I had a worse weekend with a foul stomach, nausea, and chills. Father in law is all vaccinated thanks to the VA and mother in law is scheduled this week. That's a lot less stress for us.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Pleased that things are progressing well over there. It was clear to me when the 100m doses in 100 days was announced that it would be quite doable.

Looking forward to visiting again once this madness is all over (have cancelled three planned trips so far!).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bet some White Rs are like "Covids not real, not necessary"

My white Republican mom thinks that all of the people who died from COVID-19 were actually murdered by hospitals for profit.
I told her "So now you agree that private health care is a bad idea?". She was not amused.
But she's not capable of introspection and only laughs at human misery, so... expected.

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Oh, hey surprise! When the king of clowns can't spread his bullshit, his followers are less emboldened to. (You already know who I'm talking about, I don't even have to say it). I have seen a massive downward trend of "Covid is fake news/fraud/communism/Bill Gates plan" yarda yarda online in the last few months, but I still get the occasional one, usually with the same dumb "sheep" comments attached and poor English.

Fauci taking the stand and the rollout has helped, but there will still be hardcore death-cult screechers out there, gasping to their last breath about how right they are as the tube is slowly removed and the oxygen pump turned off.

My white Republican mom thinks that all of the people who died from COVID-19 were actually murdered by hospitals for profit.

Holy fucking shit, that is dangerous thinking.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy fucking shit, that is dangerous thinking.

She's a somewhat recently retired RN, too. Her best friend is a working RN and also believes it. But they got the idea from conservative cable news. There's an elaborate conspiracy theory involving fixed bonuses for various COVID treatments.
As far as I can tell, the conspiracy theory originated from a (n unsubstantiated) comment about COVID-19 patients on Medicare tending to cost the Medicare system more than flu and viral pneumonia patients. That mutated into rumors about fixed government bonuses for specific COVID treatments for Medicare patients. Then that turned into rumors of fixed government bonuses for specific COVID treatments for anyone. Then conservative media also pushed some bullshit viral video claiming to blow the lid off of hospitals using respirators on anyone they could, and using them on egregiously dangerous settings, to get that sweet bonus money.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
She's a somewhat recently retired RN, too. Her best friend is a working RN and also believes it. But they got the idea from conservative cable news. There's an elaborate conspiracy theory involving fixed bonuses for various COVID treatments.
As far as I can tell, the conspiracy theory originated from a (n unsubstantiated) comment about COVID-19 patients on Medicare tending to cost the Medicare system more than flu and viral pneumonia patients. That mutated into rumors about fixed government bonuses for specific COVID treatments for Medicare patients. Then that turned into rumors of fixed government bonuses for specific COVID treatments for anyone. Then conservative media also pushed some bullshit viral video claiming to blow the lid off of hospitals using respirators on anyone they could, and using them on egregiously dangerous settings, to get that sweet bonus money.

Two friends of mine are registered epidimiologists/vaccinologists who work in 3 separate hospitals, and they do not get "bonuses" or "extra money". In fact it's more detrimental for a patient to pass away for them, both have had to go to counsellors and therapy because of the deaths they've experienced. This is in Australia though.

It wasn't long ago people used to say "Don't believe everything you read" now every nutcase is believing any stupid conspiracy they're handed.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's almost if the skepticism was stemming from a government that was sloppy as fuck entirely with its messaging let alone completely apathetic to COVID as an issue as a whole

Who knew a serious government with good messaging could reduce skepticism

However, this did not stop the handful of posters here to utilize the opportunity to talk shit about Black/Latino people when they got the chance

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting seeing that chart. When the vaccines were starting all the news stories were about how black people and other minorities didn't want to take the vaccine. Had no idea a large portion of white people felt the same. The angle was always came off as "irrational minorities" don't want to take vaccine.

Funny thing is black people can't barely get the vaccine anyway. All doses going to rich white people.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
My mom is getting vaccinated today at Walgreens. It was tough fight against all the bullshit Latinos get fed in social media. I was constantly debunking conspiracies on WhatsApp, it's a dark place my friends.

I wish the reasons for my family being anti vaccine were more history based like Tuskegee, that would make more sense.
nope it's all mostly social media, bullshit you see on Spanish television and religion.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people from impoverished and much more conservative countries are desperately waiting to take the vaccine shows you just how incredibly fucking stupid white republicans are.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
My 70 year old white republican friend still doesn't wanna get it even though he is eligible...but I think me and my other friends are wearing him down. I think the whole "whether you believe in it or not, the faster you get the vaccine the faster we can get to normal" is what will convince more people.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
There are asshats in this thread still not so subtlety trying to say the hesitation was stupid from jump. So the sentiment is still there.

the vaccine clinical trials were like n=30,000+ patients worldwide so there was little reason to hesitate once the FDA approved the vaccines. Of course black and brown people have a reason to hesitate given the history of clinical trials in this country, but the science for the mRNA vaccines approved so far has been solid since the beginning.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This is what the difference between "legitimate concern based on historical precedent" and "anti-vax" looks like.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are asshats in this thread still not so subtlety trying to say the hesitation was stupid from jump. So the sentiment is still there.
It was misguided at best from the jump. The clinical trials for the mRNA vaccines were robust and fairly conclusive once the FDA approved them so skepticism focused on the pure science of it was always destined to age poorly.

I think "misguided" is a better word to use than "stupid" here. While I have always disagreed with the skepticism on these particular vaccines, I also empathize with those who questioned them based on the cruel history of unethical medical practice on behalf of the US federal government. To your point, those are very valid (albeit misguided) concerns that need to be handled with patience and empathy rather than blunt dismissal.

There's a big difference between communities of color distrusting the vaccine on historical grounds versus those who distrust it based on anti-science misinformation on social media. Therefore I think there should be a different approach for each.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This is what the difference between "legitimate concern based on historical precedent" and "anti-vax" looks like.
Yep, now what to do about these white folks... 🤦‍♂️

It was misguided at best from the jump. The clinical trials for the mRNA vaccines were robust and fairly conclusive once the FDA approved them so skepticism focused on the pure science of it was always destined to age poorly.

I think "misguided" is a better word to use than "stupid" here. While I have always disagreed with the skepticism on these particular vaccines, I also empathize with those who questioned them based on the cruel history of unethical medical practice on behalf of the US federal government. To your point, those are very valid (albeit misguided) concerns that need to be handled with patience and empathy rather than blunt dismissal.

There's a big difference between communities of color distrusting the vaccine on historical grounds versus those who distrust it based on anti-science misinformation on social media. Therefore I think there should be a different approach for each.
I was watching this show on discovery on something about the MRNA development and there was a spot where they gathered the Moderna folks together and said "the minority representation in your trials are terrible, fix it or your vaccine will never be approved"