• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This tweet was posted in the COVID thread. 9% sounds absolutely insane and if that is representative of reality things are going to get a lot worse for the economy before it gets better :(

I truly hope this isn't the case... Have any ERA members been affected job-wise from COVID? Figured this deserved its own thread. A place to support each other during these uncertain times.

Best of luck and stay safe.

Full survey results: http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=23b10fd3-4f50-43a0-b722-64b5a9fc143d

Original tweet:

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I handed my notice in in December (been there 6 years), left Feb 28th with a view to taking a few weeks out then looking for a job. Yeeeeah, that hasn't panned out so well

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I personally haven't, as my job shifted to working remote, but my girlfriend has been out of work for about a week now. Her job hopes to open back up at the end of the month, but honestly I think it's going to be longer than that considering how things are going.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, 14 million already? We're only a few weeks in, I can't see it getting better until it gets worse.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My office announced today that everyone is taking a 20% compensation cut (hourly employees are going to 32 hours, everyone else gets a pay cut). Based on projections this probably won't be enough and we'll likely have to lay everyone off (especially if all of Kentucky is going to be shut down longer than March).

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I hate this. My job made us wfh so that part isn't an issue but our company hasn't been in the best of shapes and recently had layoffs, so if this goes on for much longer, I don't know if my job would be safe.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My work started implementing working from home features. That's what I'm currently doing.

Mother-in-law worked retail though (Home Goods) and they FINALLY announced their stores closing today. She'll be off for the next two weeks, with pay. But no news on what's going to happen afterward.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Not me, but my brother was a sushi chef at a restaurant that could only sell takeout. He was on his way out anyways so they let him go early because it was so slow.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm unemployeed, but my oldest sister was told to apply for unemployment this morning, and my youngest sister works for AMC.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend is a week or two away from being laid off. I'm a software developer for a large auto manufacturer. So I'm probably fine for a little while, but I'm definitely non essential. So who knows.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I've been working as support staff for a school (counselor) contracted through a local nonprofit (originally done for my Master's internship, which I completed in December). I'd been applying to jobs since getting my degree January but still working at the school, but now in Kansas, schools are closed until the end of the school year. To make matters worse, the state (who appeared interested in hiring me as a VR counselor) is delaying interviews until mid-April, another interview I had for an addiction counselor position is delayed indefinitely, and because I'm a contractor, there's no unemployment for me (and the nonprofit cannot find any hours for me now either). So I'm out of work with no prospects willing to interview in the near future, and until and unless those government checks get passed, I'm pretty much fucked financially.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had my hours trimmed to 20 hours a week, all from home. I work for a non-profit and this is killing us. I'll probably be laid off before this is over. The cut to my hours already means my SO is going to be supporting us for a bit. She's still getting 40 a week working from home.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
A few SO of some teachers at my SO preschool have been let go within the last week.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, my partner was just laid off this week due to reasons directly related to the coronavirus. It's definitely a hit on our finances.

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sister was laid off as she works in the food industry. My job is safe..I think

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Me and my company are not affected (actually we are expanding at the moment), but my brother was forced to lay-off all his workforce.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, one job is closed until further notice, so I'm not working there, and my other job is non-essential retail so it's just a matter if time till they close

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know multiple friends and family that have either lost income or had their hours reduced. Shit is going to get a lot worse too

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
No, we're doing okay (Wife is a teacher - they are getting paid but still working somewhat) and I've been working remotely for the last 5 years.

One of my brothers Works in Health care - he will be fine, my sister in law is a OR nurse and she will also be fine.

My other brother is in real estate- Not a good market, but usually the best ones survive tough times.

My mother in law has a dry cleaning business. Shes closing for at least two weeks No one does dry cleaning now. My cousin has 2 firehouse sub restaurants, shes trying to keep open for to go orders, but her business is down 60-70%.

This is bad for everyone.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Won't be surprised if I'm laid off this year. In sales, so the business is slowing obviously. If I can't meet my number...

I'll be fine regardless, I'll just get another job.

zerohaste

Oct 27, 2017
Voluntary furlough... for now.

I can't afford that, but expect that if I don't choose it and go on unemployment that I'll be worked like a dog to cover the people that do.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
laid off like temporarily suspended or laid off for good and start looking for another job?

Do you get paid if suspended?

I,m not from US.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
As of today I'm out of work until further notice. I assist in the training if Air Traffic Controllers, they sent home all the trainees* at the facility I work at, and shortly after sent us home as well. The trainees will probably still end up getting paid, we however are contractors so we'll probably be shafted like during the shutdown.

*This was unexpected, normally even the trainee controllers are considered essential employees. They worked through the shutdown.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I'm not. I teach at a juvenile detention center and we are being transitioned to work remotely. Honestly the school I work for have been great about this whole thing as far as treating employees well.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Movie theater employee. I'm out of a job until at least May, but it will probably be more like June or July at this rate.

My employer says I'm welcome to come back, but even if we reopen eventually I'm not sure what movies we'll have available to show.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My job has been great about transitioning people to Work From Home since I'm in a very fortunate sector / company to weather this storm, but my company's stock price (like the rest of the Dow) has been shot with a cannon. My company put out a hiring freeze for now, but no layoffs expected for the next couple months at least.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm lucky enough to be in a public sector job where I can do 90%+ of my work remotely and extremely grateful for it - but I'm hearing some grim stuff from folks I know in a whole range of sectors. Definitely worried about some of them as this drags out.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I work for a US Cellular store and as of now, we're still open. We're not doing any sales calls or anything, it's mostly tech support for old people (hooray). There's talk that the store might close, but nothing's been determined yet.

My fiancee works for JCPenny's and their closed until the 2nd of Apri.

Oct 25, 2017
I volunteer for the americorps and it looks like this will be the end of my service for the year, which is a huge bummer. I'm gonna miss all the kids I worked with. Not even able to give a proper goodbye.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
My company is taking care of us, thankfully. They've been very flexible and accommodating, not just with the engineers and other technical staff, but also with all the support and administrative staff.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
9 percent?! Holy shit. Luckily I'm able to work from home but fuck. Godspeed to those out there.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I work in a law office and was expecting to get laid off or furloughed for awhile, but calls have been pouring in so it looks like I'll be okay.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I work in retail so I'm safe. I'm doing overtime every week at the moment. My fiancee is a teacher and her pay is guaranteed even if schools close.

I did have another job lined up with a much higher pay that can't hire me anymore though. :(

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Got let go from a hospitality job and was lucky enough to find a job in essential retail. But yeah things are bad

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
So far my job has sent everyone home and we keep getting scheduled as if we would be going to work and get paid based on that. I have no idea how much longer they can keep that up though.

Nov 21, 2017
I work when sporting events and entertainment events come back. That might happen in May. Thank god I live with the parents and have inheritance. I'll also finish my masters online instead going on campus this December.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I work retail at a pet store. My job is actually looking for people. I'd rather be working less or no hours. My husband works from home and his job pulls in way more money then mine. Mine is chump change in comparison. On the other hand a lot of my coworkers would not do well if we closed and many don't have health insurance. And while my company is not gamestop levels of crappy they certainly aren't giving us hazard pay and aren't closing parts of the store that are definitely not essential (grooming salon). And I doubt they'll close unless we are forced to. I'm betting anything corporate people are working from home and at glee that for us this is probably getting them more sales.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I was given the option today of reduced hours but work from home or opt to be laid off to get unemployment. I can still get unemployment for having cut hours, so I think I'll hold my job and try and get some subsidization.