• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Same thing in Germany. It's like people just can't handle vacation times. First wave started during Easter holidays, second wave now during summer holidays...

Oct 25, 2017
Is mask usage in America actually way higher than anywhere in Europe? Because it seems that way.

There just aren't outbursts of people being upset at having to wear them in stores lmao.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who could have seen this coming after opening the fucking borders. It's a fucking mystery.

At least a bunch of people got to go to fucking spain or wherever else for two weeks. Imagine the terrifying world where people had to stay in their own home country for a fucking summer. Unbelievable.

nyheder.tv2.dk

Dagens coronatal: Stort overblik opdateres på hverdage kl. 14

Få Danmarks bedste coronaoverblik med alle graferne over nyeste coronatal fra Danmark og verden. Så mange er smittede, indlagte og døde.

From 12 infected daily on juli 1st, to 24 on juli 26st, to 112 on august 3rd.

The raise fits exactly with people going on summer vacations and coming home.

Not to single out Spain. It's just a popular vacation place
And it's not the Danes themselves not following social distance rules ot easing up on school and sport regulations. Nope it's the borders, sorry but that's so stereotypically Danish.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal, contrary to other EU countries, has now less new cases per day.

www.worldometers.info

Portugal COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Portugal Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

People have been using masks to enter any internal place or public transportation. In the streets very few people is using, though.

Yep, I wear a mask whenever I'm out, but you see a lot of people in the street without one- I'm glad for the restrictions on closed spaces, in shopping malls, for instance, every single person wears one.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Is mask usage in America actually way higher than anywhere in Europe? Because it seems that way.

There just aren't outbursts of people being upset at having to wear them in stores lmao.
Not really. They're about in line. UK is the only strong outlier.

Eb85RD_VcAEKJRf.jpg

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's happening everywhere in Europe, we're back on the March levels as far as active cases and daily new cases are concerned.
I'm expecting mask mandate and regional lockdowns to come back before the end of August.

It's only gonna get worse as the flu season starts in two months.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Borders were opened purely for financial interests. Many rural towns would go bankrupt if they miss just one season.
Which isn't just financial interest, unless you're willing to UBI and heavens know that isn't going to happen without people screaming: I works for my monies! Why he's gettingz it's for freesies!

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much like this, yeah.

Helps that here it's not so easy to obtain firearms, although there was that case of a bus driver in (I think) France who was beaten to death after requiring passengers to wear masks, so... it's not all roses here either.

EDIT: Well I guess that chart about disproves what I just said, but maybe I just have wrong perception. I thought that mask wearing in the US is at a much higher percentage than it is.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Question to Era members who live in this region, are people still wearing masks, or did that decrease significantly once infections became infrequent?

I feel like the key to preventing repeating outbreaks might be just constant mask wearing and distancing going forward, no matter what the current status.

And if they are allowing travel, that is obviously another vector.

In Germany, there is still mandatory mask-wearing in all official institutions, retail, public transport etc. My state had 0 to 5 new cases for weeks now and I don't see any complaints personally, when someone is told that Mask are mandatory, they either get it out of their pocket and put it on, excuse themselves, or just grunt and go away. never saw anyone going full Kevin and Karen.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
And it's not the Danes themselves not following social distance rules ot easing up on school and sport regulations. Nope it's the borders, sorry but that's so stereotypically Danish.
Yes. This tracks with the opening they did of the borders. They reopened in stages and Schools reopened back in ~april/may, so if it had been those, we still wouldn't have seen it tracking down. That is a weird comment. Before corona I was all for open borders. Once we get a way to get back to normalcy, I will again, but controlling it under 1 set of rules is a lot easier than letting people travel to vacation spots with different rules and where people usually cluster, at hotels and such. Of course it's going to spread. But sure, don't let me stop your prejudice.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Also in Finland, sports series have been running since June - no infections at all were traced to these outdoor events with ~1000-2000 spectators allowed.

However open the borders, people fly on vacation and infections start soaring.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. This tracks with the opening they did of the borders. They reopened in stages and Schools reopened back in ~april/may, so if it had been those, we still wouldn't have seen it tracking down. That is a weird comment. Before corona I was all for open borders. Once we get a way to get back to normalcy, I will again, but controlling it under 1 set of rules is a lot easier than letting people travel to vacation spots with different rules and where people usually cluster, at hotels and such. Of course it's going to spread. But sure, don't let me stop your prejudice.
But in those cases, it's still locals who don't follow social distancing rules after returning home.

Open borders per se are no issue, if people got tested after returning and self-quarantined until receiving a negative test result.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah cases are going up here in Netherlands as well, deaths haven't gone up yet but I guess that will have a delay of 2 weeks.
The tourism is insane here, I live in a little historic town and there's 2 big restaurants here that seat people almost next to eachother. The smaller eateries are more strict so it's gonna be shit for them if restaurants have to close again because of those big ones that don't adhere to the rules as much.
I have some family members who are planning to go to family in France next week, I really hope that they will all cancel last minute.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
But in those cases, it's still locals who don't follow social distancing rules after returning home.

Open borders per se are no issue, if people got tested after returning and self-quarantined until receiving a negative test result.
The problem (atleast here in germany) is that politicians fucked up by not making tests and quarantine mandatory. They overbid each other with new easings and people just went fuck them we'll do whatever we want since there are no repercussions anyway

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. They're about in line. UK is the only strong outlier.

Eb85RD_VcAEKJRf.jpg

US as a whole isn't a good metric IMO given the exponential spread in South/West. NY state requires masks in all indoor settings and we've been at or under 1% positivity with no sign of an increase for over 2 months now. Granted we're still getting 600-700 cases a day but we're also testing 70,000 people a day, so compared to where we were at the peak, it's a massive sustained reduction in the spread.

I know Europeans really loath they idea of masks but they help mitigate your stupidity. Human nature is to give up the vigilance towards this awful, exhausting virus so masks help when you get lax with the other mitigating factors.

EDIT: Well I guess that chart about disproves what I just said, but maybe I just have wrong perception. I thought that mask wearing in the US is at a much higher percentage than it is.

It is in the Northeast which is the only area of US besides super rural states (and even those are starting to get fucked now) that has any semblance of control over their outbreak. We also were the area hit hardest back in March/April when this all started

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem (atleast here in germany) is that politicians fucked up by not making tests and quarantine mandatory. They overbid each other with new easings and people just went fuck them we'll do whatever we want since there are no repercussions anyway
This is probably the same for a lot of europe. Like I mentioned early, our government closed down fast originally and had so much shit about how it was unnecessary from the loud minority since clearly a lot of people didnt get infected, that the government is probably hesitent to put actual restrictions on people again.

If you look at the actual polls, most people were really happy with how the government handled it. That's not the impression you get though.

Also, It would be super hard to force people into self quarantine. (though they should at least tell people to do it).

US as a whole isn't a good metric IMP given the exponential spread in South/Wesr. NY state requires masks in all indoor settings and we've been at or under 1% positivity with no sign of an increase for over 2 months now. Granted we're still getting 600-700 cases a day but we're also testing 70,000 people a day, so compared to where we were at the peak, it's a massive sustained reduction in the spread.

I know Europeans really loath they idea of masks but they help mitigate your stupidity. Human nature is to give up the vigilance towards this awful, exhausting virus so masks help when you get lax with the other mitigating factors.
Yeah I'm all for masks. I hope they mandate them for indoor stuff soon.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Situation is still quite in control in Slovenia (10-20 new cases per day with over 1000 tests done), but almost all new cases are connected to vacations abroad.

We have a lot of tourists around here. Mostly from Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. But they are keeping the distance, wearing masks etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's either have some kind of tourism or have southern countries drown in unemployment and possibly default half the countries.

Should've implemented stronger regulations
Yeah, it's a huge factor.

Like, Germany removed its travel warnings for these 4 Turkish regions 2 days ago. It's exactly the places where people go on vacation. Mostly a business decision, if you ask me.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
What's frustrating is that opening up too early will only meaning needing to be closed down for longer overall until things actually get under control.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Banning travel was a bad decision and a way to kill the economy of countries that relied on tourism without any guarantees that they could get help after.

In Portugal we had our first day without deaths and cases seem stable. Even with borders open. Blaming people traveling to Spain without any kind of study is irresponsible.

The focus should be on safe travel.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
For the Netherlands; after spending 3 months of March, April, and May in partial lockdown with heavy restrictions on social contact, and the month of June and first half of July in relative freedom again (without an uptick in cases), people just don't have the stomach anymore for sticking to the social distancing measures. People are having parties indoors again, any semblance of keeping distance in shops is gone, and people carelessly going on holiday without going into a 2 week self-quarantine afterwards (which the government also doesn't enforce, only advices).

Anyone can get tested here since June 1st (before that only hospitalized patients and careworkers were tested, so comparisons with daily cases before June 1st are irrelevant), the same day most restrictions were lifted and masks were enforced in public transport. Since then we managed to reach a low of 36 new cases on July 6th. Since mid-July we have steadily climbed back up again to ~450 cases a day. Hospitalizations are still very low. So it's not so much the lifted restrictions that is causing the uptick in cases, but more that people just stopped caring when they saw nothing changed for 1.5 month since reopening, and ignore the 1.5 meter distancing.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Banning travel was a bad decision and a way to kill the economy of countries that relied on tourism without any guarantees that they could get help after.

In Portugal we had our first day without deaths and cases seem stable. Even with borders open. Blaming people traveling to Spain without any kind of study is irresponsible.

Are you for real? You can see what happens as soon as travel is allowed again. There are no checks at all and even Americans are able to get into Europe through the UK. Doesn't change the fact that traveling is the biggest Covid spreader.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I wear a mask whenever I'm out, but you see a lot of people in the street without one- I'm glad for the restrictions on closed spaces, in shopping malls, for instance, every single person wears one.
I don't use it on the street because i live in the interior, not really many people in the streets. I keep a safe distance, pretty much everybody does it over here.When i go to Lisbon or Porto, mask on the street always.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Are you for real? You can see what happens as soon as travel is allowed again. There are no checks at all and even Americans are able to get into Europe through the UK. Doesn't change the fact that traveling is the biggest Covid spreader.

Traveling inside the the EU shouldn't have been banned past the initial lockdown. The UK is not EU and neither is the US.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Traveling inside the the EU shouldn't have been banned past the initial lockdown. The UK is not EU and neither is the US.

They should have done it even earlier when everyone knew what was happening, but instead carneval and people going skiing was more important. Opening up is the worst spreader so far. Yeah everyone is fucked when it comes to economics currently. Seems like daddy government should have put things in place and support business in different ways, huh? No we have that shit show again. Also yes UK is not the EU, but that doesn't stop American people to travel to the UK and from the UK to European countries like Spain (see first page thread about that).

Oct 25, 2017

Portugal has also had a 95% decrease in travel, which will impact the economy.

There was never going to be a way to have both.

Also, in general we should note that current testing is always available whereas it wasn't in March and April. So a percentage of current cases are the ones we did not detect before, meaning that the current wave is still smaller than the original spread.
That's no excuse though.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I reckon it's the same everywhere but atleast here in germany politicians really fucked up by opening too much too fast.

Most businesses in Germany have been opened up since the beginning of May and there has been no uptick in cases until very recently.

The problem was not opening up non-essential businesses but rather vacation time and people getting more and more careless about this. My region has seen very little new cases (0-3 per day) in all of May and June basically but in the last two days alone there have been 19 new cases, almost all attributed to travel activity.

Start of the school year next week in NRW will be interesting.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal has also had a 95% decrease in travel, which will impact the economy.

There was never going to be a way to have both.

Also, in general we should note that current testing is always available whereas it wasn't in March and April. So a percentage of current cases are the ones we did not detect before, meaning that the current wave is still smaller than the original spread.
That's no excuse though.
Yes, things are difficult to countries that rely on tourism. Portugal in particular and in the south is going to be rough, but i don't see any other way of containing this thing. Also is weird that people need a government to forbid them from travelling on vacation when it should be the 1st thought in their minds not to do so during a pandemic.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Same thing in Germany. It's like people just can't handle vacation times. First wave started during Easter holidays, second wave now during summer holidays...
First wave started way before Easter holidays. Easter was in April when everyone was already on lockdown.

Also I disagree with those saying that borders opened too early. For most EU countries infection rate was very low when they allowed the borders to open up again and at some point many more people would die from the collapsed economy if they hadn't done that.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the terrifying world where people had to stay in their own home country for a fucking summer. Unbelievable.

As a Brit this is the crux of it for me. There is a cross section of people who like to utterly desecrate the memory of the war dead to support their diatribes about people's "privileged" lives these days, while at the same time being completely unable to cope without their summer holiday going to plan for a year.

Yes lockdown is tough - I've had my ups and downs despite being in a fairly good situation just like everyone else will have - but nobody needs to be travelling about this year purely for leisure.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I understand you live in a tourism heavy country so I'm not gonna shit on you but c'mon man, you can't have "safe" international travel on a large scale during this pandemic, especially when it involves people going on vacation where they're going to be the most lax with Covid mitigation behaviors.

International leisure travel is essentially dead until a vaccine, it's just the hard truth

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I live in the Faroe Islands.. we have had no Covid19 for 11 weeks. The day before Yesterday they found 3, Yesterday they found 14.. and not many were tested. BUT yesterday more than 1500 people were tested, we are still waiting for the official numbers, but we know they are higher than yesterday, so at least 14 new confirmed cases.. the thing is.. we are only just above 50.000 people living up here, so the numbers are way to high.. so we all expect some serious stuff to happen later today-.-

the reason for the sudden spike in numbers is that they allowed the national day called "Ólavsøka" to happen in the end of July. Many thousand people celebrated the national day in Tórshavn, and now the virus is spreading because of that... fuck people and their selfishness .. fuck this situation.. I am so fucking mad, I am in the high risc group... fuck it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Like, Germany removed its travel warnings for these 4 Turkish regions 2 days ago. It's exactly the places where people go on vacation. Mostly a business decision, if you ask me.

Well, of course it is a business decision, but also a way to give back certain luxuries to the German population, in a structured fashion.
I can see the logic behind it. In these coastal regions, people travel to have cheap all-inclusive resort vacations. They don't mingle with any locals, they tend to stay amongst themselves. And i would presume that the pools and beaches there aren't overflowing.

Allowing parts of your population to go on vacation to a somewhat limited set of regions, monitoring any outbreaks there and having the necessary workflows set up to deal with those who return from these regions can work. If you're a family of 4 living in a 70m² apartment, i don't blame you for yearning for that beach vacation.

I think there's plenty of space between "everyone lock yourselves in, we'll just sit this one out, however long it takes" and "just do whatever, it is what it is".

The whole fight with COVID is about keeping track of infection numbers, clusters, hot-spots and reacting accordingly lest the numbers spiral out of control.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
Turns out there's a protest against masks supposed to go on today in copenhagen?!? I almost want to go just to see the who'd be that out of their gourd to want to protest masks.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Same thing is happening in Finland.

yep. i went biking around Turku yesterday, saw thousands of people on the riverboat restaurants etc, and literally ZERO masks. i tried spotting at least one mask, but nope. of course absolutely no social distancing either. every single person apparently forgot about the virus.

fun times being a hospital worker in the city.. we have some suspected cases every day and there's constant fuck ups with failed quarantining, co-workers and even patients refusing to wear masks, people fighting over protocol, confusion about testing and every little thing... if we start to get waves of corona patients we cannot handle them, no way in hell. and it feels quite bad seeing my fellow citizens not give a shit :/ i'm going to be constantly exposed to the virus for the next god knows how many months because people here are so uncaring and/or stupid.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Getting pretty awful in Germany again too. People can't fucking stay in this country, it's insane. Obviously a lot of German tourists went to Spain, Austria, Croatia & other countries, but especially close to where I live it's been mostly people who either came from or have family from the Balkans, especially Bosnia, Croatia & Serbia. Legit had relatives go to Bosnia & Croatia to visit family, then came back & spread Covid in a city in my state. At this point we're literally the only ones who are still deadset on not visiting our family this year or really until it genuinely calmed down everywhere/there's a vaccine. Of course relatives that live in Sweden & Austria already went to Bosnia, Serbia & Croatia too. I get it, I fucking miss my family too. But my parents', my & other people's health is so much more important than visiting the rest of my family, Jesus Christ. Doesn't help that most of my family lives either right in or very close to the zones with higher Covid numbers & deaths. I can wait a year or two to see my family again if it means keeping the people around me safe.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yep. i went biking around Turku yesterday, saw thousands of people on the riverboat restaurants etc, and literally ZERO masks. i tried spotting at least one mask, but nope. of course absolutely no social distancing either. every single person apparently forgot about the virus.

fun times being a hospital worker in the city.. we have some suspected cases every day and there's constant fuck ups with failed quarantining, co-workers and even patients refusing to wear masks, people fighting over protocol, confusion about testing and every little thing... if we start to get waves of corona patients we cannot handle them, no way in hell. and it feels quite bad seeing my fellow citizens not give a shit :/ i'm going to be constantly exposed to the virus for the next god knows how many months because people here are so uncaring and/or stupid.
i live in finland and the only time i've seen someone wear a mask it was an actual gas mask.

to be honest, i don't wear masks, either. don't even know where to get them, and haven't bothered to make one.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017

Here in Sweden I've seen maybe 5-6 people wearing a mask since April. Yeah...

Turns out there's a protest against masks supposed to go on today in copenhagen?!? I almost want to go just to see the who'd be that out of their gourd to want to protest masks.
The EU has what, like 10-20% (depending on the country) voting for fascists. There are a lot of ignorant people in Europe.

Last edited:

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Cases are rising all over Europe. The fact of the matter is that , and people keep trying to resist it, we are going to have to completely change the way we live until there's a vaccine. Which could take years. There's no getting away from it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents want to go see my sister in Denmark in October...I'm trying to convince them not to go. They're in their 70's, it's not worth the risk.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Question to Era members who live in this region, are people still wearing masks, or did that decrease significantly once infections became infrequent?

I feel like the key to preventing repeating outbreaks might be just constant mask wearing and distancing going forward, no matter what the current status.

Here in Germany you only occasionally see someone wear a mask outside. Only inside stores, on public transport or in a hospital everyone is wearing masks since it is still mandated.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Germany, there is still mandatory mask-wearing in all official institutions, retail, public transport etc. My state had 0 to 5 new cases for weeks now and I don't see any complaints personally, when someone is told that Mask are mandatory, they either get it out of their pocket and put it on, excuse themselves, or just grunt and go away. never saw anyone going full Kevin and Karen.

Hamburg here and just yesterday 5 man group just getting inside the train without mask and laughing at everyone else. Last week two people that fought with the Lidl security man. Ffs

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017

yeah, this is completely fu**ed up!

not sure who came up with this idea. On wait: Erdogan... 🙂

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Hamburg here and just yesterday 5 man group just getting inside the train without mask and laughing at everyone else. Last week two people that fought with the Lidl security man. Ffs

Big cities are always more destined to have outliers or a bigger chance to have assholes. But here in rural Germany in my 80.000 people city, I only see compliance, even if it is sometimes reluctantly.

We must be in the same state because a lot of posts here seem like bizarro world to me. For example, I haven't seen anybody NOT wearing a mask in the supermarket etc. for months now (like, literally not a single person). lol

Just last week, when I was grocery shopping in Aldi, one of the cashiers, a little thing (one of the young trainees/Azubis) told a bull of a man that he wears his Mask wrong and that it must go over the nose. He apologized and complied with the request/order.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I might have misread this but I was looking at the stats and here in the Netherlands daily new cases is currently 4x higher than when the initial lockdown measures were introduced.

Oct 27, 2017
wear one next time you go to Citymarket and enjoy the hundreds of people looking at you like you're the crazy one.
Last time I went to a Lidl was maybe 2 or 3 months ago and I was wearing a mask, and I can confirm this. I've been only ordering grocery pickups ever since...

I cannot believe we finns are so fucking stupid when it comes to this virus. And it seems our government is not going to react fast enough judging from the things THL/STM said today, so the situation is gonna get bad really fast especially with schools starting soon and everyone getting back to their workplaces this week.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I might have misread this but I was looking at the stats and here in the Netherlands daily new cases is currently 4x higher than when the initial lockdown measures were introduced.

I don't think so. The curve is going up again but not (yet) to those levels. You also have to take into consideration that they're doing way more tests now than back then

ZSSgqL6.jpg