• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Prof Mark Walport, a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), likened the virus to influenza, as he said repeat inoculations on a global scale would almost certainly be required to control it.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme coronavirus was not "going to be a disease like smallpox which could be eradicated by vaccination".

The scientist said it was possible the virus could get "out of control" again, with the percentage of positive tests rising around the UK as the R number hovers between 0.9 and 1.1, but he said more targeted, localised measures could be used instead of a full lockdown.

Walport said he was worried about the spread of the virus. "You've only got to see what's happening in France, Spain, [and] in [South] Korea, which got it under control very quickly and is now seeing a rise in cases. And so this infection is with us."

He said less than one in five people around the UK had had the virus, and 80% of people remained susceptible to Covid-19.

However, he warned draconian measures could be imposed if the virus got out of control and added it was an "enormous tragedy" that many people in care homes caught the virus and died after people were discharged from hospitals back to care while infected with coronavirus.

www.theguardian.com

Covid-19 will be around for ever, says former UK chief scientific adviser

Prof Mark Walport says regular vaccinations are likely to be required to control coronavirus

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Spanish flu died out after 2/3 years tho?

EDIT: Not quite died out. Yeah it's a different situation I guess.

By the summer of 1919, the flu pandemic came to an end, as those that were infected either died or developed immunity.

www.history.com

Spanish Flu - Symptoms, How It Began & Ended

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet’s population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I mean I expect repeat doses of whatever vaccine, but it's not going to mutate like the flu...
Just remember this is one guy's opinion. Quite frankly, we can't say for sure.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
I thought most people were aware of this.

This is never going away, while society will find ways to adapt, this is the new normal.

Would like to see how long vaccines can protect us though. If we can get one year guaranteed protection, people will treat it as a mandatory flu shot.

Anti vaxxers though...

Oct 27, 2017
Every assumption they have made about this pandemic as being similar to past flu pandemics (waves, environments, symptoms, protection, etc.) has been wrong, and the corrections have come late and have been too costly.

That said, it is way too premature to even consider an "end" or vanquishing of the virus.

Rex Griswold

Oct 29, 2017
There needs to be a strict approach to dealing with these people. No freedom of thought when their erroneous and illogical stance literally puts lives at risk.

Im so sick and tired of people hiding behind MUH FREEDUMBZ

This 100%. I'm tired of paying for the stupidity of others. Some asshole decided to travel to Florida, come back to work, lie about his symptoms and expose a bunch of people, only to get sent home and come back positive. He was one of those "it's overblown" types.

Fucking tired of this shit.

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017
At some point we will develop antiviral medicine or something to make covid less deadly and I believe that is what will give us a chance to go back to normal. That plus a vaccine.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, as a healthcare worker and former scientific researcher, this headline is just fear-mongering. It's possible it will be around for a while, but I haven't seen any evidence that it is impossible to contain and control in ways we don't do for the common cold or the seasonal flu.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
That's a given, but the Human body will adapt as it did with other viruses that were deadly when they came first broke out. Hopefully with vaccines it becomes benign.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Well, yeah. All diseases live forever, there just won't be exploding cases every time they resurface.

Smallpox was eradicated though, internationally declared as well.

Also this guy is saying something completely different from what the WHO chief stated, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus:
We have a disadvantage of globalisation, closeness, connectedness, but an advantage of better technology, so we hope to finish this pandemic before less than two years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...could-rein-in-pandemic-in-less-than-two-years

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much the assumption for a while already I thought? It was always likely to end up as an endemic thing that is vaccinated for on a seasonal basis.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. We'll need vaccines and treatments. On top of that we'll probably have a lasting change in the way we go about our lives daily to help manage.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be around for years yet, but hopefully given that currently it seems to be slow to mutate the virus can gradually be vaccinated and the worst symptoms of it can be treated much more efficiently. Plus if T-Cells remember what the virus is that will help things out.

We're certainly in a better position (Knowledge wise) about treating the virus than we were back in March.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Eh, we'll see. It'll still be around for sure, but we'll see what the vaccine trials tell us.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't smallpox come back though due to people ignoring vaccinations or am I imagining things?
Measles and whooping cough have done this, maybe also others I don't know about. Not smallpox though. Smallpox is literally gone except for a couple samples in a lab somewhere. Its only reservoir was humans, which made it possible to vaccinate it out of existence.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like influenza at all. Covid-19 doesn't mutate a lot. The vaccine will hopefully be enough to eradicate it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You can still get the black plague if you go poking around into rural areas of Washington state. COVID-19 might be around forever, but we will continue to study it, develop treatments, develop more effective vaccines / booster shots, and eventually reduce it to a point where it's not wrecking our society.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Anybody who think's this is just a one time thing that goes away is out of their mind. Until there is a vaccine each year this wont' be a problem that goes away.

Don't know why some people are so hard set on them or their family and friends dying before they accept it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the bubonic plague hasn't gone away, either. It just aint a pandemic anymore. Eventually the COVID-19 won't be a pandemic anymore, either.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
but then it has people asking "what were the other 18"

and COVID-19 is the sickness. It isn't actually the virus. It's called SARS-cov2 or whatever.
It needs a common name like "the cold"

I wish people would refer to the virus by its name (SARS-CoV-2 or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome - Coronavirus 2)

The cold is a misnomer in that there isn't just one cold virus, there's a multitude of different viruses (Rhinovirus being the most common) that cause the symptoms we associate with the common cold. There are also four strains of Coronaviruses that cause cold symptoms.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, as a healthcare worker and former scientific researcher, this headline is just fear-mongering. It's possible it will be around for a while, but I haven't seen any evidence that it is impossible to contain and control in ways we don't do for the common cold or the seasonal flu.

Well, the seasonal flu is 'around forever'. So I don't think he's suggesting it's different to that. The headline is obviously designed to grab attention, but what was said seems fair. I just hope that the vaccination period is longer than 6 months, and that vaccines cover a wide range of mutations (I don't know if that's possible?).

Flu vaccines work for 6 months, and are only effective 67% of the time right? So that's pretty crap. I can see the majority of folks not keeping up with those vaccinations, even if they aren't explicitly opposed to vaccination.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the seasonal flu is 'around forever'. So I don't think he's suggesting it's different to that. The headline is obviously designed to grab attention, but what was said seems fair. I just hope that the vaccination period is longer than 6 months, and that vaccines cover a wide range of mutations (I don't know if that's possible?).

Flu vaccines work for 6 months, and are only effective 67% of the time right? So that's pretty crap. I can see the majority of folks not keeping up with those vaccinations, even if they aren't explicitly opposed to vaccination.
Well, "the flu" can be caused by several different viruses and even then, the mutation rate is extremely high. That's part of the difficulty of controlling it. There also isn't an incentive to do more to get rid of it because it's been around forever and (generally speaking) is pretty mild. If it were killing a huge percentage of the people who got it every year, much more would be done to control it. Comparing SARS-CoV-2 to influenza viruses isn't really fair as there's currently a large push to squash SARS-CoV-2 (especially considering it is killing the global economy). If treatment gets better, people will care less about totally getting rid of it. If SARS-CoV-2 mutates and becomes far more deadly, the push to eradicate it will become even larger. From what I read, the mutation rate of SARS-CoV-2 is significantly slower than that of the widely circulating flu viruses. The bigger problem is that animals will remain carriers and we will have to be wary of local outbreaks.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
No it didn't - there was an H1N1 pandemic just 11 years ago, same virus as Spanish Flu.
No, there wasn't. The 2009 flu wasn't the same as the Spanish flu. They are both H1N1 viruses, but there are multiple of them. Humans tend to be immune to strains once they have done an epidemic. Influenza A viruses just mutate so fast that even just looking at the families we have 20 of them.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
This was always going to be the case. The Bubonic Plague is still around and unfortunately kills people with limited access to medical care but it's very treatable and not something most people ever think about.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
but then it has people asking "what were the other 18"

and COVID-19 is the sickness. It isn't actually the virus. It's called SARS-cov2 or whatever.
It needs a common name like "the cold"
"The cold" is a disease caused by several different, unrelated viruses. Predominantly the rhinovirus, but also multiple different strains of human coronavirus, or HCoV.

Oct 26, 2017
The virus and the state of pandemic are two completely different things. Just because the Virus will persist, doesn't mean it will stay as dangerous as it is today.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
The Pandemic will end, the virus might not. Depends on how humans act, as long as people don't get vaccinated, take care of themselves or stay in contact with people who can transmit it, of course it will never leave.

But with Vaccination and discoveries of medication that can fight the Virus better, at least it will not be as lethal or contagious as its now. Causing the Pandemic to end, but we might still see Epidemics tho.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Of course it wont. Covid-19's cousins SARS and MERS still exist today, but effect very little of the populous now in comparison to this new strain. That is why vaccines and better treatments was always going to be the solution. Once available the world will shift from a pandemic state to more localized epidemics then eventually just small outbreaks.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif