• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Seems fitting. The Electoral College casts their votes to officially elect Biden and the U.S. starts to get its COVID-19 vaccines. The U.S. starts the first steps of getting back to normal....

The first public coronavirus vaccinations in the United States were administered Monday, a promising sign that comes as Covid-19 continues to kill thousands of Americans every day.
The first vaccines were administered just as the number of Americans killed by Covid-19 approaches 300,000. And while the vaccine's arrival is a meaningful development in the battle against the pandemic, experts say it is far from an immediate fix and that the number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths will continue to rise without concerted efforts around mask wearing and social distancing.
Sandra Lindsay, a critical care nurse at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in Queens, New York, was among the first Americans to receive the first of two doses Monday morning — marking a new chapter in a crisis that withered the city for much of the spring.
"I feel hopeful today. Relieved," she said. "I hope this marks the beginning of the end of a very painful time."

Lindsay's injection was carried live on several news channels. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo monitored the proceedings remotely from the state Capitol in Albany before participating in the state's Electoral College vote.

"The vaccine only works if the American people take it," Cuomo said during the event. "It's going to take months before the vaccine hits critical mass. So, this is the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's a long tunnel."

Health experts believe that a vaccination rate of 75 to 80 percent of Americans could potentially achieve herd immunity in the U.S. by the fall and bring the pandemic to a close by year's end.

"By the time we get into the fall, we can start approaching some degree of relief where the level of infection will be so low in society we can start essentially approaching some form of normality," said Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, Monday on MSNBC.

www.politico.com

Covid vaccinations begin in the United States as deaths surpass 300,000

“First Vaccine Administered. Congratulations USA! Congratulations WORLD!” President Donald Trump tweeted.

EDIT:

www.nbcnews.com

Covid vaccination tracker: See the latest trend and count

NBC News is tracking Covid vaccine and booster doses in the United States. These charts will be updated weekly.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My wife and I are fairly high up the vaccine. chain (At least for Washington). She is an essential worker (She is a teacher) and I just got diagnosed with Cancer and also an essential worker.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man, the normal days feels like such a long time ago. Can't wait for this goddamn virus to just bloody fuck off and thing go back to normal.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Man, the normal days feels like such a long time ago. Can't wait for this goddamn virus to just bloody fuck off and thing go back to normal.

They do, and yet it feels like just yesterday that Trump was trying to keep people stuck off shore on a cruise ship to keep the Covid numbers artificially low.

That was March 6th.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to even picture life being normal again at some point. Of course for some idiots their life basically didn't change

Jan 29, 2018
I will have basically missed out on over a year of my life because of this shit by the time it's all 'over'. It didn't need to be nearly this bad.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that 1000 yard stare.. Can't imagine the shit she's seen.

I'm so glad the vaccine is finally otw.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not to be a downer, but between now and April, consistent mask wearing would still save at least 4 times the amount of lives than the best case scenario for vaccine rollout during that period. So the lack of masks will still continue to cause lot of damage

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I am middle of the waiting list for the vaccine, hoping I can get it by summer time. And hoping that this vaccine actually means that things can start returning to normal.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I'm so glad a vaccine is here, can't wait to get it, but it's somewhat internally conflicting because I'm extremely nervous about going back to "normal life". Working remote has been incredible for my mental health, the idea of going back to my office is crippling me with anxiety.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
My wife and I are fairly high up the vaccine. chain (At least for Washington). She is an essential worker (She is a teacher) and I just got diagnosed with Cancer and also an essential worker.
Since children cannot get vaccinated till sometime next fall based on what i have read on news sites ii say teachers are the first workers that should be vaccinated.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Not to be a downer, but between now and April, consistent mask wearing would still save at least 4 times the amount of lives than the best case scenario for vaccine rollout during that period. So the lack of masks will still continue to cause lot of damage

There haven't been any changes in mask wearing advice that I've seen. The morons who still refuse to wear them aren't going to be convinced at this point.

I confronted an old guy with his nose out of his mask in a store yesterday, and he told me to kiss his ass. You can't fix stupid.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Does anyone know how you get word when it's your turn, so to speak? This is something I'm not sure about. Is there any indication yet of when you'll know you can go get vaccinated?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad we have a thread for this, thanks OP.

This isn't the end, it's perhaps the end of the beginning, and maybe becoming the beginning of the end. The people who worked around the clock on this vaccine are brilliant, and I'm so happy for the healthcare workers who can start getting vaccinated and hope to have some protection without COVID hanging over their heads.

It's a bleak world, and we're going to be in very dark days over the next 2-3 months, but this is truly an amazing achievement worth celebrating.

[Fauci] predicted that the average person with no underlying conditions would get the vaccine by the end of March or beginning of April. If the campaign is efficient and effective in convincing people to get the vaccine, most people could be vaccinated by late spring or early summer, he said.

Also pretty amaziing at the delivery timeline that a lot of people can expect to get vaccinated by the end of March/April.

How does one get prioritized? My wife and I are both essential workers.

States are going to be strictly controlling access until at least the end of 2020. It's best to look up what public health experts have outlined in your state. Right now, most states are following a strict rollout going to healthcare workers first.

Last edited:

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell my local/state government still hasn't figured out the order that people will get it in. I'm an essential worker who has to work closely with my coworkers, but my job-related interactions with people outside of coworkers are almost all conducted outdoors and limited to a handful per week. I definitely shouldn't get it before a pharmacist or cashier, but way before people working from home.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know how you get word when it's your turn, so to speak? This is something I'm not sure about. Is there any indication yet of when you'll know you can go get vaccinated?

I assume that they will make public announcements when it's available publicly. Not sure if it's a thing you can just walk into a pharmacy and sign some paperwork to do, or require to go to a hospital/doctor office.

The Bay Area is receiving 70,000 this week, for a population of close to 8 million. Since I'm not medical/essential/at-risk, I'll be waiting a bit :x

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Saw a dude on the corner today holding a sign that said something like, "No to the vaccine, don't let them control you" or some nonsense.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how early USPS carriers will be eligible. I'm out there six days a week, and a vaccine would do wonders for my stress levels.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
the office i work at will be a site for distributing the vaccine, at least to healthcare workers

means i should get it quite soon!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Wow, it's actually happening.
It's really weird, isn't it? We went from those eerie days of tracking it by individual country with tangible, "real" numbers, and then it just exploded in March. Suddenly it's Christmas and a vaccine is being rolled out. It's been both the slowest and fastest year ever. I feel like it started with Kobe dying in a helicopter crash, I blinked, and now it's year-end.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
How does one get prioritized? My wife and I are both essential workers.

call the health department/your local hospital (since they will be the first ones getting the vaccine).

At least in my state the first wave is going to those in long term care facilities and only health care workers (not counting those who work in retail pharmacies, surprisingly)

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad a vaccine is here, can't wait to get it, but it's somewhat internally conflicting because I'm extremely nervous about going back to "normal life". Working remote has been incredible for my mental health, the idea of going back to my office is crippling me with anxiety.

Same kinda. Though I'm pretty sure my office will allow us to work from home part time going forward, so that's something.

Any chance of that in your workplace?

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Same kinda. Though I'm pretty sure my office will allow us to work from home part time going forward, so that's something.

Any chance of that in your workplace?
They've been talking about it, but no real updates on it, so more than likely I'd be returning for at least a decent chunk of time while the executives still sit on that decision and it slowly peters out over time...

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Just attended a press event where doctors were getting their first dose. Pretty surreal to see at this point. Fingers crossed everything goes as planned from here.