• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the US Cadillac just started offer to let consumers buy cars "directly "* online with home delivery so people wouldn't have to visit the dealership.

of course they only did this by getting some agreements to let dealers act as a middle man and even then it can't be offered in several states because dealer networks SPECIFICALLY warped legislation to outlaw even a hint of direct sales to consumers.

our nation's insistence on creaming off profits via often needless and counterproductive middle men is being highlighted by the crisis- cars, healthcare and more — all tangled in industries that are artificially enabled in the first place.

Chris Christie's New Jersey prohibition on Tesla stores and sales was written by rival dealerships and enacted into law less than 12 hours after it was revealed. There are nine states restricting any such method of selling cars in various ways.

car dealers and their networks are among the most influential lobbying groups in states and nationwide and that influence is why buying a car at a dealership is annually listed as the worst consumer experience in the country. They bought the exclusive rights to screw you.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I cannot speak for weed but I'm pretty sure a family member would die if he didn't have alcohol. He is already seriously ill and end of life stage alcoholism, sadly. He also has bad lungs. He is a morning to night drinker, still does part-time work bless him. He cannot function physically without alcohol and any kind of withdrawal would likely make him very, very unwell.

There are a lot of seriously ill people that rely on marijuana for pain relief and a billion other reasons. Shutting down dispensaries is about as cruel as shutting down pharmacies would be.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
No you can't if your job involves driving long distances - maybe in a whitecollar world you can make it at home - thankfully many coffee shops have remained open today.

Pretty much every gas station and convienence-grocery store with stops like Sunoco/Loves/etc is still open and I'm sure coffee is still one of their hottest items for people still commuting. Heck, I'm in shelter in place but drive for my IT job, and still pick up a coffee or monster almost every morning.

No one needs a starbucks, tim hortons, etc open right now. You can buy coffee, and a thermos, etc. It can last you all day. Hell, I'll order you a thermos if you can't afford one right now. None of the stuff in the OP is within an average persons reach of making. Coffee is damn near everywhere.

Hell, buy some MRE's. Coffee in there too. That's the point. Closing places that will tempt people out of their house. Restrict it as much as possible. A gas station store needs to stay open because we still need gas and food. Get your coffee there. That was my point. If you or that poster were referring to those types of coffee places, then sure, they really should stay open. Pure coffee shops? No, they should be closed.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Car dealership, I can understand at the moment because Toyota still has an outstanding recall fix they still need to do on my Dad's car. Something about the gas lines could disconnect, causing the car to stop mid-run and COULD cause a crash.

But being open to sell new cars? Probably not required.
I'm personally not complaining about dealerships being reopened as well since my dad works for Lexus (specifically their bodyshop) and he was worried about having to apply for unemployment since he wouldn't have been able to work from home.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
There are a lot of seriously ill people that rely on marijuana for pain relief and a billion other reasons. Shutting down dispensaries is about as cruel as shutting down pharmacies would be.

Oh certainly. I'm not American and medical marijuana here is rare or non-existent. I'm not saying one is more essential than the other. Forgive me if my post came off that way.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I work in the industry and we are considered essential. That being said our store has gone down to the most essential services and nothing more. Things like flat repairs and mechanical work that qualifies as dangerous ie your brakes are failing. Things like Oil changes, tire swaps and changeovers we no longer do right now because it's not important unless the tires are at the point where they're dangerous.

The thing is people need to stay home if their needs are not essential, there has been way too many people coming in like I have all this free time now from work and I just wanna look at rims and stuff for my car and it's like that's not why your off work, your off work to stay home but alot of people coming in are treating the shut down like a vacation and it's a bit annoying and only putting us at risk.
I'm in a similar situation at a major home renovation retail chain. I get that people need to come in and buy things to fix their toilets and kitchens/get lightbulbs and other things to keep their house functioning, but people are coming in in big family groups and browsing the paint and building decks and shit because they're bored. They're completely missing the point here.

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah liquor stores And pot dispensaries need to be open. People gotta spend that $900 EI cheque to forget their job got obliterated.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is this a canadian thing? I tried but my sister who lives in quebec liquor of amazon.ca once and there was nothing on there. So weird.

It depends on the province. What I listed was for Ontario. That said, I think for most of the provinces you would be hard-pressed to find Liquor on Amazon.ca.

First, regulations and issues surrounding that. You can order online no problem in most provinces, but each one handles it differently. Second, Amazon doesn't really do food/drink delivery here in Canada. So even if the regulaitons allowed it, Amazon probably still wouldn't offer it because we just have a paired down feature set in general.