• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Some of those people are gonna freak the fuck out. Do not envy people that have to enforce this. In Texas of all places.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So surreal how here in NJ everything is slowly opening back up (outdoor dining only, etc) while red states are slamming shut (again).
We gotta stop comparing Red and Blue states because Red states have a looooong ways to go to reach blue state numbers. If Texas got fucked as hard as NJ did in the first place they'd be opening up too.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, nothing is being done/feet are being dragged in regards to unemployment supplement extensions and more stimulus funding.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
So we're just going to keep doing this over and over until a vaccine is done huh?
Was just saying this to my wife. We had one chance to be smart and minimize the spread of the virus, and we blew it. There were always going to be those who refused to abide by the recommended measures, but the active downplaying and straight up denial of the seriousness of the situation by Trump made it so much worse.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We gotta stop comparing Red and Blue states because Red states have a looooong ways to go to reach blue state numbers. If Texas got fucked as hard as NJ did in the first place they'd be opening up too.
It just occurred to me that this is likely a major contributor to the politicization of the issue of lockdowns, masks, etc. Higher population densities are likely to have been impacted more severely by COVID, and they also happen to usually be more blue than the rural red regions where the spread is slower. It's the same old story of rural areas resenting laws passed from urban areas. It gives some insight into why Republican political figures have been behaving as if there is no problem, they are catering to their constituents.
I know this is probably obvious to most of you already, but I hadn't thought about it that way before.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
First off, this sucks that it's happening and is so sad.

Second, we all saw this coming.

Third, this couldn't be happening in worst places at worst timing for Trump right now. Especially with those poll numbers.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, it's almost like they should have never opened anyways when there's still a pandemic in place? But I mean, who could have ever forseen that?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

No, Texas still would have opened sooner than NJ. They are currently not taking it seriously enough, and NJ should have shutdown sooner too. Texas has had the opportunity to learn and they failed. Their leadership just looks worse and worse with every passing day.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Both of these idiot governors need to be outed at the next election. They way they bungled the handling of this, especially DeSantis. How could people possibly elect these fools again?

This shows they admit they made a huge mistake with the early reopening. Any expert could have told them that. B-b-b-but the economy!!! assholes

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
All of these people are going to come to Vegas.

And to my resort.

They're seriously trying to kill me.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I think they're waiting until June jobs numbers come out so that when they don't look as bad as expected, they can pretend that neither of those are really needed.
Can't wait to see how badly those numbers get fudged in transparent fashion only for the media to cite them at face value and assure the public that nothing is wrong.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
source.gif
giphy.gif

source.gif

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just occurred to me that this is likely a major contributor to the politicization of the issue of lockdowns, masks, etc. Higher population densities are likely to have been impacted more severely by COVID, and they also happen to usually be more blue than the rural red regions where the spread is slower. It's the same old story of rural areas resenting laws passed from urban areas. It gives some insight into why Republican political figures have been behaving as if there is no problem, they are catering to their constituents.
I know this is probably obvious to most of you already, but I hadn't thought about it that way before.
Oh this is absolutely the case. Look at Michigan, outside of Detroit, it barely got touched and the state went with a one size fits all approach that angered a lot of people.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
No one... absolutely NO ONE... could have foreseen this!!

Poor conservatives getting smacked by this virus, learning they can't make it a political thing... I wonder how this is affecting their egos, knowing there's something that doesn't give a fuck what they want or think and they have to believe the science...

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oh this is absolutely the case. Look at Michigan, outside of Detroit, it barely got touched and the state went with a one size fits all approach that angered a lot of people.
Seems like a vocal minority, though. Whitmer has seen good approvals with how she handled everything. Even despite armed protests and POTUS going after her.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

if you dig in to PA numbers, you can see that the red areas that were fighting the one size fits all approach are currently rising in cases per 100k while the cities are dropping rapidly.

the virus doesn't care where you live. You want to go into your packed bars, be prepared

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a vocal minority, though. Whitmer has seen good approvals with how she handled everything. Even despite armed protests and POTUS going after her.
Her approvals are really good in Detroit, and really bad everywhere else, so yeah she has 80%+ approval in metro Detroit, but leave the metro and her approval ratings drop to being very negative.(last I checked her approval was mid 50's)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why anybody NEEDS to be in a bar now anyway. It's summer! Grab beers from the liquor store for much cheaper and just drink with friends in your yard, in a park, by the water, on the beach, fucking wherever. There are so many other, safer venues for drinking it really boggles the mind that people are deliberately cramming into the worst options.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the slew of bars that will try to stay open in defiance of this order

Dec 22, 2017
GOOD! Bars should never have been open to begin with.

Here in WA state, "tasting" rooms like for wine and beer are allowed to be open and it's fucking ridiculous. They are bars in everything but name.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Her approvals are really good in Detroit, and really bad everywhere else, so yeah she has 80%+ approval in metro Detroit, but leave the metro and her approval ratings drop to being very negative.(last I checked her approval was mid 50's)
The last polls I saw have her in the mid 50 range overall and hitting 60% statewide for the pandemic response specifically. And that represents improvement versus her approvals prior to the pandemic.

Most politicians would probably kill for a mid 50% overall rating in this day and age. That also contrasts sharply with federal leadership polling.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when you turn public safety into politics. I feel for the people suffering due to incompetence and willful ignorance.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I said it months ago:

Reopening and closing again weeks later is more damaging to the economy and the shops than staying closed.

- employees are more likely to search for other jobs that are more stable
- most shops have to invest in their reopening to either apply social distancing rules or trying to stand out among the other shops who open at the same time, plus advertising costs
- chances are, the owner of the shop already had issues getting their trained employees back and had to invest in training new employees who need weeks and months to recover the costs and time
- Banks are now more likely to not grant a loan or make loans more expensive, The economy was dreaming of a fairy recovery when everything was closed, most thought that they just had to reopen to live happily ever after. Now they see that the dream is dead.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last polls I saw have her in the mid 50 range overall and hitting 60% statewide for the pandemic response specifically. And that represents improvement versus her approvals prior to the pandemic.

Most politicians would probably kill for a mid 50% overall rating in this day and age. That also contrasts sharply with federal leadership polling.
Yeah Detroit skews that heavily, metro Detroit is roughly half the state's population and her response was very well received there, the rest of the state not so much.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
GOOD! Bars should never have been open to begin with.

Here in WA state, "tasting" rooms like for wine and beer are allowed to be open and it's fucking ridiculous. They are bars in everything but name.
Well, I can kind of get that. When my wife and I went to Napa we went to a couple of very small wineries that you could only do a tasting via appointment. When we showed up it was only her and I and the winery person. That's not really a bar. For the large wineries that shuttle in hundreds of people, of course they should not be allowed to continue doing that. But for the small ones that have one-on-one tastings, I'm okay with it

Dec 22, 2017
Well, I can kind of get that. When my wife and I went to Napa we went to a couple of very small wineries that you could only do a tasting via appointment. When we showed up it was only her and I and the winery person. That's not really a bar. For the large wineries that shuttle in hundreds of people, of course they should not be allowed to continue doing that. But for the small ones that have one-on-one tastings, I'm okay with it
I am talking wine bars that line the main street of my town. Tourists from Seattle daytrip over and sit and socialize like it's a bar. The servers are wearing riot gear face shields lol. It's insane.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I am talking wine bars that line the main street of my town. Tourists from Seattle daytrip over and sit and socialize like it's a bar. The servers are wearing riot gear face shields lol. It's insane.
Okay, yeah that's not cool. That IS a bar. I know we're giving a lot of shit to Texas and Florida and Georgia (not so much California interestingly...) but EVERY state is doing stupid shit while there are a couple that are really paying the price. I was just texting with my friend who went up to Vermont to get away. Airbnb is open and they were at a park with a shit ton of people. He took a picture and sent it to me. But Vermont had 7 new cases today. People/states/businesses are doing stupid shit all across the US. It's not just limited to the south.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing worse than living in Florida is living in Florida sober.
But seriously, dumbasses needed to stay home or at least wear masks. Could they do it? Fuck no. Now look.