• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
This is pretty high on my list of "societal things that make no goddamn sense to me". Why is it funny or seen as cheesy to be adamant about using a coupon when dining out? I had an ex that was extremely embarrassed because I wanted to use a work discount for eating at a local restaurant, and it was a punchline in Schitt's Creek Season 2.

Am I a hopeless poor for wanting to save money? Or am I committing a pretty embarrassing act by not seeing what the harm is? Don't worry ERA, I'm still tipping on the full amount :3 Perhaps there's a bit of nuance in the way you're supposed to go about using a coupon - never on your first few dates, never when the restaurant is busy as hell and the waiter can't keep up?

Help me understand!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ive got a discount card from work and i use that fucker whenever i can

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Chain restaurants don't do it anymore but 15-10 years ago they gave badass buy one entree get one free/half off deals.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong at all with using a coupon, as long as you still tip as if you hadn't used a coupon, which you already covered.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
My mom used to lie about my birthday to get me a free whatever at restaurants when I was a kid. Coupons ain't shit, use 'em!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
latest

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Tip on the pre-discount / coupon amount and you're fine

edit: oh yeah you mentioned this, nothing wrong with it then

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing wrong with it is if you don't tip based on the pre-coupon price. If you don't, you're a monster.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this anti coupon stuff is stupid. If you're not paying, I don't wanna hear it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
lol, corrected! Thank you! My brain still has to translate NEOGAF into RESETERA whenever i talk about it, i dunno why.
Lmao you good. Will echo others on the coupon thing too. If you're tipping staff normally while saving on the meal as a whole, can be a decent excuse to eat out on a whim when you happen across one. Mind you, that seems like a pretty alien concept in 2021 lol.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tips, pre or post coupon
Coupons to restaurants

No thread is more American than this thread. The American eating out system is broken.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Don't try to stack half a dozen coupons, tip on the full amount, I don't see the problem. The restaurant chose to make the coupons, why wouldn't they be cool with people using them.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sounds like someone who's easily embarrassed for no apparent reason. I'll take a discount any chance I get, my money doesn't grow on trees.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is such a uniquely American thread, lol.

The whole anti-coupon thing is similar to other things like the diamond industry where businesses push this message to consumers that it's not socially acceptable to save money. It's dumb, I have no other words for it - it's fucking dumb that regular people buy into something that conceited.

OP
OP
SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Tips, pre or post coupon
Coupons to restaurants

No thread is more American than this thread. The American eating out system is broken.

In the midst of watching our government and health care system falling to pieces, this is so sad and funny. No lies detected though. Add it to the list!

Sounds like someone who's easily embarrassed for no apparent reason. I'll take a discount any chance I get, my money doesn't grow on trees.

She was. And I was codependent enough at that time to be mortified at my "behavior" D:

Mind you, that seems like a pretty alien concept in 2021 lol.

Jeeeeesus I know. I'm over here daydreaming about committing social faux pas at a restaurant because i havent been to one in so long. My girlfriend and I have been dating for about 8 months. We have yet to go to dinner or a movie.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I feel like it's the whole introvert fear of confrontation going on. Like the same feeling people get when you go into a store and leave without buying anything.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What restaurants have coupons? I don't see the problem with it, it just doesn't seem like a thing that would happen at an establishment that required tipping.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only go to McDonald's when I have coupons. Big mac combos is too expensive without the meal deal coupon. You save like 4 bucks with the coupon.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If restaurants has a coupons or special deals through their apps, you're damn right I will take advantage of them. Same goes from within other apps like Groupon.

If it's at a dining establishment, I would tip them for it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Depends if the coupon is worth it. Like, sometimes I want a 2 Can Dine so my bowels and body are fucked up, and most times I ain't assing it for 30 cents off a sandwich.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I've felt this pressure. Ultimately the restaurant took banked money that helped them and now they've gotta provide service for it. No one should feel badly. But you just do feel like kind of a cheesedick using them.

EDIT: wait I am fully thinking of gift cards. Yeah I basically never use coupons lol
The nazi convention is in the other building.
oof

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
If whoever you're out with can't handle some good deal making through coupons or specials then they ain't worth it long term.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Theres this really good sushi place that gives you a free meal on your birthday. It's like a $45 value. Damn straight I take advantage. Anytime I can. Coupons anytime I can.

Now when you're using a stack of coupons at the grocery store well, I hope I'm not behind you.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
What restaurants even have coupons?

Do you mean gift cards? Or are you talking about like, fast casual places where you can order via mobile app or at the counter, like Shake Shack? Or via Groupons?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna save a couple bucks wherever I can. I'm not the type to try to use expired coupons or be a dick about them but I will use em.