• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AkimboChainz

Oct 28, 2017

We have reviewed the leaked code and believe it to be a reposting of a limited CS:GO engine code depot released to partners in late 2017, and originally leaked in 2018. From this review, we have not found any reason for players to be alarmed or avoid the current builds.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed in an update? Or is the entire game fundamentally compromised? "Source code", to me, sounds like something that is so foundational to the game that a mere update wouldn't necessarily fix our problem.

Source code is just the human readable version of the instructions that make up the program. Having it doesn't make the program more secure. Open source programs address usually more secure because they are vetted by more eyes.

Yeah it would interesting to hear more. Exploits in multiplayer games are nothing new but finding something critical so quickly by just looking at the code would be a bit concerning.

If an exploit is discovered merely by reading source, it is because of a programming mistake. And that can always be patched.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed in an update? Or is the entire game fundamentally compromised? "Source code", to me, sounds like something that is so foundational to the game that a mere update wouldn't necessarily fix our problem.

Absolutely it can be fixed. If the security of your product depends on people not knowing the source code, it's not secure at all. They'll just have to be better about identifying potential exploitable issues in their code.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

We have reviewed the leaked code and believe it to be a reposting of a limited CS:GO engine code depot released to partners in late 2017, and originally leaked in 2018. From this review, we have not found any reason for players to be alarmed or avoid the current builds.

This needs to be in the OP.

Nothing new, stuff from 2017 that's been out there since 2018.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Full tweet thread.

twitter.com

CS:GO on Twitter

“https://t.co/Wgdica8Xas”

1500x500

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say I honestly think this will be the end of TF2. Valve doesn't seem to care and the fact that they haven't even updated their TF2 twitter leads me to think they forgot the password.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Isnt the games source code installed on everyones pc who has the game installed and it just can be checked out? Or is it encrypted?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
having access to a source code wouldn't really make remote code execution any easier. One of the security courses I took in college was actually about arbitrary code execution, they usually come from doing things like purposefully inducing a segfault to branch to a custom trap code, or exploiting buffer overflows, things of that sort.

This sounds like fear mongering from people who know nothing about hacking.

Yea I'm a little confused by a lot of the comments here. Unless the devs have written horrendous and unsafe code I don't see this becoming a big deal.

Honestly if anything this source code release could be a "positive" thing for modders. I don't know anything about the Source modding community (Im assuming they have great tools) but getting Source code it's obviously pretty great for them. Specially for a "dead" game like TF2, that hasn't received updates in a long time.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Why am I not surprised at all the people in this thread spreading false fears about playing Source games? This leak has been out in the wild for over two years. Cheaters have already seen the code.