• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
A 4chan Hacker has hacked into the Source Code for CounterStrike: GO as well as Team Fortress 2. This is extremely problematic for both communties as hackers have full control over the game's source code meaning that can create new exploits much eaiser as well as install a remote code execution that can be used to run malicious code on your game. So right now it would be advisable to not run TF2 or Counterstrike Go.

Link:

twitter.com

Matt on Twitter

“@PresidentMakuta @SoundSmithTF2 tf2 source code leaked”

aJuOtlC.png

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this huge news then since CSGO has had all time high player counts recently? Lots of people won't know about this unless they alert in game

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I've been getting back into TF2 over the past few months. Playing every day. I'm having so much fun with it.

I don't completely understand the ramifications of a source code leak, but if what you say is true that is incredibly disappointing. Like I shouldn't even open the game, huh? I can't play at all? I'm just having trouble processing this.

Maybe this is a good thing for me (in the cosmic sense). I'm a student and am probably playing more than I should right now.

edit: Team Fortress 3 when

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I've been getting back into TF2 over the past few months. Playing every day. I'm having so much fun with it.

I don't completely understand the ramifications of a source code leak, but if what you say is true that is incredibly disappointing. Like I shouldn't even open the game, huh? Like completely?

Maybe this is a good thing. I'm a student and am probably playing more than I should right now.
Pepole will definetly find out how to open the game completly from this source code

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
This is very unfortunate. And by that I mean it's sad that someone would really want to damage these historic games.

And somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if TF2 lives through this. CS:GO definitely will because Valve will find a way to save it. We'll see about TF2 though.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Valve will definetly try and save Counterstrike Go due to its popularity though TF2 may be a different story

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I don't completely understand the ramifications of a source code leak, but if what you say is true that is incredibly disappointing. Like I shouldn't even open the game, huh? I can't play at all? I'm just having trouble processing this.

Maybe this is a good thing for me (in the cosmic sense). I'm a student and am probably playing more than I should right now.

edit: Team Fortress 3 when

My friends and I have been playing again as well recently. It still feels good. The game is just fun. Goofy, stupid, fun. We all played beta in 2007.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Pepole will definetly find out how to open the game completly from this source code
Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed in an update? Or is the entire game fundamentally compromised? "Source code", to me, sounds like something that is so foundational to the game that a mere update wouldn't necessarily fix our problem.

My friends and I have been playing again as well recently. It still feels good. The game is just fun. Goofy, stupid, fun. We all played beta in 2007.
Yeah! That's what I always loved about it. You get these chaotic kind of firefights with strange abilities and it's just a ton of fun. Always loved some of the wacky stuff you could do that doesn't really happen in any other game I know.

Before revisiting it, when was the last time you played it?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
VNN has denied it was him but says he knows who it was.

If he knows who it is, then fuck him if he hasn't snitched anonymously. I feel like this type of theft is always underplayed. People spent their whole lives in prison for commiting crimes that are way less damaging than some of this "hacker" thievery.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
He already said he reported it to Valve's legal team privately. What else do you want? A public execution?
Ehh that's good then. I don't keep up with him or anything didn't know what he did, just heard about the story in this thread. But I usually don't like a lot of his videos I've seen where he draws things way out, even if I don't hate him or anything personally.
I'm glad to hear he's handling it right instead of being stupid.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
The "security" derived from not having the source code open is very low anyway. In the short run it'll help people find exploits, but as the fixes for those come in it'll only make the servers and clients more safe in the long run.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
install a remote code execution that can be used to run malicious code on your game

How would this part happen? I don't know what modded servers are capable of installing and executing on your machine, so I guess I would avoid those. But if you were just playing on official servers, wouldn't it require some kind of social engineering to get you to run malicious code on your machine?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah! That's what I always loved about it. You get these chaotic kind of firefights with strange abilities and it's just a ton of fun. Always loved some of the wacky stuff you could do that doesn't really happen in any other game I know.

Before revisiting it, when was the last time you played it?

2016, according to Steam. All of my friends have ~1000 hours logged.

But yeah, no other game lets me conga line in spawn.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
This could be a big problem or its just nothing, just remember that the leak codes is from 2017-2018, Valve could have changed alot of those codes since then, if they already knew it was leaked back then.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Last time I remember a Valve source code leaked, it didn't end well for the leaker. Valve came very close to arresting him but his home country intervened last minute. That was before the release though, this is for ongoing live MP games, which could be even worse. Bad time to be a CS: GO player right now

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
This sounds like a ploy from Valorant fanboys to spike it's popularity by making people fear to play it's main competitors. The timing can;t be a coincident