• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I can barely navigate my own standard stairs sober without holding the railing. I wear indoor grippy slippers for maximum traction.

This, this would end me.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
So, going down the first step with my left foot? I would kiss the floor if not paying attention, for sure.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
remember that ep of Family guy where peter couldn't use the new stairs? this is that real life

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to lead with my left foot so this is pretty much unscalable for me.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Now these would be good for some "stair sledding" as a kid.

What's the goal here? To have steeper stairs?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
falling-old.gif

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This looks like a non-conventional alternating tread staircase. They are sometimes installed in a smaller space to access an attic or something, and sometimes for the safety of at-risk older adults and to accommodate certain types of disabilities. I suspect the latter is true here because of the two-tiered, double-sided railing.

Traditional alternating tread staircases are considered much safer. I'm not sure in this case, as the design is unusual, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't be too hard. Whenever I want to go up a flight of stairs backwards, which is a thing I do for some reason, I just touch my heels against the back of the step to feel out where it is.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those are way easier to walk on than "normal" stairs. What's difficult is old stairs. A couple thousand years ago, carving stairs out of rock, they just made them tall and skinny.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Better than my current "stairs". Basically have to scale a ladder into our bedroom, which makes laundry complicated. The layout apparently killed a resident some decades ago.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we complicating shit we've already figured out????

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I used to rent a home where the stair heights for each step varied slightly with about two inches of range lol. I tripped up on those so many times

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
good lord that went from 1 to 10 in sentence

Yeah, there's a reason I always sleep on the couch when I've drank. When we first moved here we both hit our heads on the opening at the top a dozen times between us. Hell, even our cats were falling off these "stairs" regularly the first few months we were here. Not graceful feet landing mind you, full cartwheel side landing weirdness. Had to put down pads until they figured it out. Apparently the artist that used to live here was into occult stuff and made a bunch of ladders, lofts, and hatchways in some 13 Ghosts / Winchester house kinda sense until he fell off one of them while drinking one night and bit the dust.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, even our cats were falling off these "stairs" regularly the first few months we were here. Not graceful feet landing mind you, full cartwheel side landing weirdness.
The clarification gave me quite a chuckle, although I'm glad the kitties are okay.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, doesn't seem bad. Feet go basically in the same place, just a bit steeper than most 'normal' stairs. So long as each step height/width is even with the rest it'd be pretty easy.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Imagine moving in or out of this place and carrying a large box and being unable to see where your feet are in relation to these

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sober in daylight or in absolute darkness, yes.
I have very little experience dealing with being drunk, so probably not drunk.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My brother has stairs similar in a way to his loft that are basically each step for each leg is one up like this, it's so fucking weird, my brain and motor skills are still confused every time.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
This is like if someone intentionally designed stair steps for people who go up stairs skipping every other step.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Better than my current "stairs". Basically have to scale a ladder into our bedroom, which makes laundry complicated. The layout apparently killed a resident some decades ago.

I used to have this from Ikea and let me tell you if you have to get up at night to take a whiz or frequently get home drunk, never get a loft bed. That ladder is more precarious than it looks.

stora-loft-bed-frame-black__0749152_pe745510_s5.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Up - easily.

Down - I'm slipping and falling down on that shit hard and hitting my ass on every stair on the way.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
is the design supposed to make it faster to traverse? I think I'd do fine except in complete darkness, better know where that first step is or else

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the purpose of this staircase (to save space) but these seem really unsafe. If the point is to try to save horizontal space, then a spiral staircase would be much better.

Spiral staircases are very underrated.