• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Could you be a Hollywood level actor?

• Yes

Votes: 213 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 361 62.8%

• Total voters

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was once cast as an extra in that one George Clooney movie "Monument something". I didn't even go to see the movie, I heard it sucked and that my scene was cut out anyway.

What I'm trying to say is no.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hayden Christensen is a Hollywood actor.
Now I've heard he's done better in other roles but, based on Episode II and III...

I could absolutely be a Hollywood actor. Probably not a voice actor though. And I'm neither attractive or charismatic enough to warrant me chasing such a career on a whim. I'd rather write novels.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dated an actress who was on some soap operas, worked on Broadway, went to a GREAT school, had tons of connections, was legitimately great looking and she'd barely sniffed a minor recurring role and had been doing this awhile.

Anyway the acting part is a trained, professional skill. It's a craft that only equates to high success when the perfect cocktail nepotism, skill, and a bunch of other things come together. It's exceptionally competitive and extremely difficult to find success in.

it's more about connections and less about skill and talent.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mentioned nepotism and 'other things' coming together. A cocktail. Who you know matters quite a bit, but talent often or attractiveness separates the one from the others that know someone. Also it really really depends on fit. Artists are visionaries and a lot of times knowing/having talent doesn't matter - the vision and who fits that aesthetically/delivery-wise in the director's head.

Also, good directors can improve bad ones. Bad directors can ruin good ones. Same thing goes for fit.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's astounding to me that 40% of people here think they could be a Hollywood caliber actor. Absolutely fucking delusional lol.

Are these the same people that claim they could throw better than the NFL quarterback they're watching on TV?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's astounding to me that 40% of people here think they could be a Hollywood caliber actor. Absolutely fucking delusional lol.

Are these the same people that claim they could throw better than the NFL quarterback they're watching on TV?

i'm sure i can run faster than usain bolt if i have the same coach and start training at the same age..

in my daydreams at least

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
38.9%. Lmao. Is this the narcissist version of being a temporarily embarrassed millionaire?

I see nobody who answered yes on that poll has ever worked as a casting editor before.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Acting is hard work that requires a lot of time and dedication. If you're not putting that in you're probably going to look super stiff on camera.

That number indicates a lot of people voting yes probably don't realize that.
I'll ask you again, why do you think people are voting seriously?

Do you really think that people don't already know what you just wrote?

Why would people not take a poll seriously online?

Etc...

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Nope. It might seems easy to just show up on a set and put feeling into reciting your lines, and for some actors admittedly they don't do much more than that (or even meet that standard in some films), but being a truly talented actor requires a significant amount of emotional labor, memory, and study of literature and psychology. If you really want to be that good it can be very challenging to be 'on' all the time like that.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask you again, why do you think people are voting seriously?

Do you really think that people don't already know what you just wrote?

Why would people not take a poll seriously online?

Etc...
You don't think people overinflate their sense of self-worth and underestimate fields they don't understand? You're right that a lot of people aren't taking this poll seriously because it's the Internet but I bet a lot do nonetheless.

I think a poll like this is revealing because it's a sentiment I hear all the time outside of this thread.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think people overinflate their sense of self-worth and underestimate fields they don't understand? You're right that a lot of people aren't taking this poll seriously because it's the Internet but I bet a lot do nonetheless.

I think a poll like this is revealing because it's a sentiment I hear all the time outside of this thread.

Yes they do, we see it on this site all the time.

But it's also an open poll that has no real weight.

I'd ignore the poll results and look for telling posts if you want evidence of what you're describing.

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord no. I've taken a lot of film classes in college and have has to act a few times because of that. My bad acting stands out as terrible even among bad actors. I can't improve to save my life either.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yep.
But not an academy award winning actor. More like that guy from Troll 2.

Charismatic AF

giphy.gif

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they do, we see it on this site all the time.

But it's also an open poll that has no real weight.

I'd ignore the poll results and look for telling posts if you want evidence of what you're describing.
Right. I'm weighing both. There's plenty of posts that read both ways we're approaching this from. Lol

The ratio of honesty to dishonesty in Era polls is fun to think about though. I spent a lot of time in that thread asking people whether they'd save themselves or a child on a sinking ship for that same reason. For all we know there could be a contingent of people that answer the poll honestly because they find an open poll with no real weight a freeing place to tell the truth and casually forget their /s in their reply. 🤷‍♂️

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
No, acting is actually pretty difficult. I could do a passable job in high school/college plays, but acting in a movie is way different, since the camera actually focuses on you and there aren't as many distractions to cover you if you slip up or don't do your best that day. Sure, you can have multiple takes, but still.

Also I love people pointing out shitty B movies as if that is what is implied by the OP.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I'm sure there are plenty of excellent actors out there that could easily be one of Hollywood's next greats. But the bigger issue doesn't always lie with the talent. It's an incredibly competitive industry with thousands of people striving to accomplish the same goals.
I don't think the survey is asking about this. Its just saying "if cast in a movie, could you pull it off without looking like an idiot" isn't it?

I've never been in a play or anything. I'm 99.99% sure I'd be awful, but I'm also wrong 99% of the time, so I'd probably be pretty good. Also I'm unattractive.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Maybe a voice actor after lots and lots of training, but not a Hollywood level actor. I would not be able to deal with the constant publicity though.

And I have no idea if what I have as charisma would translate to screen at all.
So probably not.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
No. I would be awful, razzies for days.

Ha! I have fooled you! My acting was superb, to the point that you could not separate fact from fiction! My schedule is currently open, accepting all offers.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that we all think we have a high ceiling as we see "Hollywood caliber" as the absurdly low floor it is. Hollywood sure don't cast on talent. A lot of it's purely based on looks, to the point that casting calls for minor roles can be downright offensive, like "old fat Mexican woman" or whatever. They're not casting method actors; they're casting stereotypes. Hell, just ask Peter Dinklage.

So. . . looks. Well sure, I'd never be a Chris Pratt. But I do look like a creep and could probably work as a pervy mook for those occasions when you need some mook to act all pervy so Chris Pratt gets to kill him or beat him into submission to show how much of a badass he is. That's still a "Hollywood actor" job and yeah, I do think I could pull that off.

OP
OP
Snake Eater

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's why when there is an open call audition there is a line around the block

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Not really. But after two or three cosmetic surgeries I think maybe. I'm not impossibly far.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like that apparently over 160 people on this forum could be a Hollywood level actor, yet none of them became one.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
A Hollywood star where they are required to be extremely patient as the character is changed to fit my persona and they feed me every line as we shoot?

Sure.

Community theater or a lesser role where I am required to be prepared ? LOL - hell no.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I always did pretty well in school plays. I would say I'm a 4/10 actor, which is definitely enough for some hollywood movies.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe people are responding this way to "blue valentine".

Just because you are a hopeless loser like Ryan Gosling's character doesn't mean you can act it.

Love to see people here remake this scene on their phone as they're such good actors.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
I have quite a bit of experience as a stage actor but acting in front of a camera is a different beast altogether.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
This is one of those things like professional sports where the talent level is so high that looking from the outside good/solid performers may seem weak, but in reality they are much more talented than people give them credit for.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd have to dedicate most of my time to perfecting the art form. But could I? I don't see why not if I deemed it my profession and focused on it.

Could I do it today without putting in the work? No. Would I be able to get land the roles and navigate the Hollywood scene? Most likely not even if I worked super hard.

That's why I never tried - it seems too risky, like trying to win the lottery.

OP
OP
Snake Eater

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So 37.5% of the voters so far think they could reach the level that less than 1% of actors ever achieve, interesting

OP
OP
Snake Eater

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that 1% are there due to who they know than anything else really.
Obviously there is talent involved, but that's not the whole story.

Not every single person in Hollywood is Casey Affleck, meaning that they have some sort of direct nepotism-like connection to the business, most actors basically start from nothing and make it, you can check anyone's IMDb profile and see how their career started. Obviously some luck is needed, but that usually comes in the form of some agent or casting director taking a chance on an unknown

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
No fucking way. I can't get out of my head enough. I've tried very small roles for school/work related type skits and I'm just terrible.

Good acting is, imo, an under rate skill. I appreciate people that can just become someone else for a couple weeks/months while dozens of people watch them and move lights and rigging around them.