• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
So, it's been over 3 years since we got the last trailer for FFVIIR at PSX 2015, 2 years since the last screenshots at MAGIC 2017 and the key visual (on its 20th anniversary), and a year since the last concept arts (around its 21st anniversary). On January 31st it'll be its 22nd anniversary and as before-mentioned there's been a precedent of showing new content on/around that time.

By then Kingdom Hearts 3 will also have released worldwide for a few days, so there's a chance they might be ready to shift some attention to FFVIIR again after Nomura has stated multiple times that KH3 was the reason they haven't shown anything of FFVIIR last year and not because it hasn't been progressing well:
When asked about Final Fantasy VII Remake during a recent interview, director Tetsuya Nomura said he acknowledges that there's been some fake news [Likely about the rumored 2023 release window] and fans may feel uneasy about it but he said the development is going favorably and solidifying.

However, Nomura said that the lack of new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake has nothing to do with its development Status. According to the director, the reason for this is because Square Enix is prioritizing the release of other titles, including Kingdom Hearts III.

Square Enix is currently looking ahead for a possible timing to release new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Nomura asked fans to wait a little while longer. Kingdom Hearts III releases in January 25-29, 2019, so hopefully we'll get a more steady flow of news on the game after its release.

Source.

Additionally, a few weeks ago both Kitase and Nomura hinted pretty clearly at finally showing off FFVIIR again in an Famitsu issue where they were asked about their plans for 2019:
Nomura:

Keyword: 7

Thoughts: Various presentations to be released.

Kitase:

Keyword: Long-awaited!

Thoughts: Development on Final Fantasy 7 Remake is progressing smoothly! I would like to try hard to meet the expectations of fans.

Source.

In regards to its development status, fwiw, it's apparently going well according to last year's comments from Kitase, Hamaguchi, Hashimoto, and SE's president Matsuda (also Uematsu accidentally leaked that at some point FFVIIR was actually supposed to release in 2018, lol):
Jan 2018:
Kitase-san mentioned that the game's development is going well. Asked his goal for 2018, he explained that about the remake he'd like to work on "comfort," also playing on words by mentioning that on a personal level hopes to take it easy (using the same word, "raku" which means "ease" or "comfort") if possible.

Source.

Feb 2018:
Hamaguchi goes on, after Nomura leaves, to comment on the long draught of info since the first trailers, and apologizes. He goes on to say that the project has moved completely in-house, and is again, progressing very smoothly. At the current point they're at the stage where they're basically cramming a bunch of stuff into the game, but once they hit the stage of polishing up the look of things and can deliver something with suffuciently high quality, they will be releasing new footage.

He anticipates this will be in the near future due to how smoothly things are progressing.

Kitase then signs us off by making the joke previously mentioned in the thread, saying he wishes to keep on polishing up the game for the 35th anniversary, to which they all laugh and Hamaguchi responds objectingly "Hey that's a long ways off!"
He then however, also goes on to say that a lot is hanging on the next (presumably big) event, and that they're hoping to show off (the game) by then.

Source.

June 2018:
It's been three years since we've seen anything from Square Enix regarding its episodic remake of Final Fantasy VII. The game was a no-show again at E3 this year, but it remains in development, according to Tetsuya Nomura, who has a hand in the title along with directing Kingdom Hearts III. "We are developing [Final Fantasy VII] in parallel, and it's not just in the early concept stages," he tells The Verge. "We are actually in development."

The longtime Square Enix developer says he's been giving equal effort to both highly anticipated games. "So right now, it's like I've been putting in 100 percent into Kingdom Hearts, 100 percent into Final Fantasy VII, 100 percent into Kingdom Hearts... just going back and forth," he says. "It's just like [working on] two titles is just going to be one [after Kingdom Hearts III's launch]. That's pretty much how I see it."

Source.

June 2018:
Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura commented on the status of the game's development in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu.

Here are the tidbits:
"We're trying to figure out when we will put out the next news release."​
"Production is going well."​
"The scenario will also delve into the members of Avalanche."​
"[Development] is moving along more than expected, so please wait for the next news release with peace of mind."​

Source.

June 2018:
Square Enix Holdings 38th General Meeting of Stockholders [June 2018]

Question: Regarding Final Fantasy VII Remake, it's been three years since it was announced at E3 2015. About what percentage has development progressed?

Shinji Hashimoto: "I can't say a single word about that. As it has been reported, we took a second look at the development structure and continued from there. It's certainly hitting its milestones accordingly."

Yosuke Matsuda: "There is a lot being said about it, but it's progressing as it should so please don't fret. Things are coming along well."

Source.

June 2018:
When asked about Final Fantasy VII Remake during a recent interview, director Tetsuya Nomura said he acknowledges that there's been some fake news [Likely about the rumored 2023 release window] and fans may feel uneasy about it but he said the development is going favorably and solidifying.

However, Nomura said that the lack of new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake has nothing to do with its development Status. According to the director, the reason for this is because Square Enix is prioritizing the release of other titles, including Kingdom Hearts III.

Square Enix is currently looking ahead for a possible timing to release new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Nomura asked fans to wait a little while longer. Kingdom Hearts III releases in January 25-29, 2019, so hopefully we'll get a more steady flow of news on the game after its release.

Source.

Dec 2018:
Nomura:

Keyword: 7

Thoughts: Various presentations to be released.

Kitase:

Keyword: Long-awaited!

Thoughts: Development on Final Fantasy 7 Remake is progressing smoothly! I would like to try hard to meet the expectations of fans.

Source.

So I think there might be a good chance we'll get to see something new, even if small, with a bigger re-reveal following some time later this year e.g. at their own press event like they did for FFXV and KH3, or E3, or maybe at possible next-gen console reveals (MS more likely than Sony, I guess)?

Here's the countdown to January 31st:

blu_1548892800.png

[Original link if the image embed doesn't show the correct time]

Nomura era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

CJBx0Y2.gif

Last edited:

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think so. IMO next reveal will happen at the Sony event this year or SE something at E3.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think we'l get a trailer or anything, but at the very least I expect them to hint at the next big reveal.

I BALEE!!

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
i kinda doubt, i imagine square doesn't want to put out info that soon after KH3

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How many years has it been now and we don't even have an image of Tifa from the new game?
Day by day the game feels more like vapourware to me.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
How many years has it been now and we don't even have an image of Tifa from the new game?
Day by day the game feels more like vapourware to me.
Did you say the same about RE2 that hadn't been shown for 3 years after its announcement until it was re-revealed at E3 2018? Or Cyberpunk 2077 which was announced in 2012/2013 and wasn't shown until E3 2018? 🤔

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
At best we will get a new key art with a comment of Nomura saying it's going smoothly and Hashimoto saying "please be excited"

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Did you say the same about RE2 that hadn't been shown for 3 years after its announcement until it was re-revealed at E3 2018? Or Cyberpunk 2077 which was announced in 2012/2013 and wasn't shown until E3 2018? 🤔
No because I have a small amount of trust in Capcom and CD Projekt Red.
I have zero in Square.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Very unlikely. It doesn't seem like Square has ever released any new trailers or major game announcement to celebrate anniversary events before. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Very unlikely. It doesn't seem like Square has ever released any new trailers or major game announcement to celebrate anniversary events before. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Tbf, I said "something new, even if small", so I'm not necessarily expecting a trailer :P They'll keep that for the next big event obviously.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I think the best we could hope for is an announcement of a date when they will show more, but most likely is a new image or two from the game. I agree with OP's optimism that they'll do something to mark the anniversary.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf, I said "something new, even if small", so I'm not necessarily expecting a trailer :P They'll keep that for the next big event obviously.

That would not be good, game is already a vaporwave show it when you have something big. Basically do it like Capcom did with RE2 Remake, show the game with a trailer and release date at the end ideally 6 months before release. No more baits.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If Square really want to restore peoples faith they need to release a demo.
They need to prove to people that there is something here worth all the wait.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They will announce they finally reached the milestone of finishing the factory setpiece.

The most productive team in all gaming.

Mar 23, 2018
I almost feel bad for laughing, dang. I don't think the Shenmue fanbase were expecting a Shenmue 3 release date before the FFVII remake, especially with the FFVII remake being episodic.

Then you have this, the RE2 Remake announcement, from a couple of months after the FFVII remake announcement... and it's being released tomorrow.

Square Enix is... slow but I'm not really sure about them using all of that time to deliver the best possible product.

And they can't even release a demo if they're going to re-design the game... again. "This looks nothing like the demo I played" I don't think they're doing it.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That would not be good, game is already a vaporwave show it when you have something big. Basically do it like Capcom did with RE2 Remake, show the game with a trailer and release date at the end ideally 6 months before release. No more baits.
That's exactly what SE's been doing with all of their latest releases from last year, and I think they'll do the same with 7R.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree with that too, tbh. Let's say it releases in late 2019/early 2020, then just announce its own press event for Spring this year or so (or big re-reveal at E3) and don't talk about it until then. They could do such an announcement on the anniversary though.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I honestly forgot this game even existed.

They haven't shown much since 2015. I doubt they will show something in few more days.

And even if they do show something, I bet you right it's going to be the teaser of the teaser.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
If Square really want to restore peoples faith they need to release a demo.
They need to prove to people that there is something here worth all the wait.
In early 2017 (before they announced the shift from external to in-house development) Kitase actually mentioned wanting to have it in a playable form for an event on its next showing, but that didn't happen, lol:
Director Tetsuya Nomura said that he would like to show the progress of Final Fantasy VII Remake at some point this year…

Kitase: "I have hope that it will happen, but that still hasn't been decided. However, when we show it next, I would like to do so in a way that's a step further than a trailer, such as at an event where people can experience it."

Source.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless its info on a release date within this gen I'm at the point that the game can go away. I'm honestly tired of SE handling of their game and honestly the less I hear about them the better.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I'd much rather we keep getting little pieces of bait. Keep the hype and anticipation strong... because I think that's going to be the best part of this whole experience anyway. It's a real love hate game for me.

I've already kept my expectations in check on this one. I'm buying it regardless of what happens (aren't we all?), and I know that the joy and anticipation of this game from it's announcement to it's launch will not be matched by whatever they end up producing. That is not a criticism. Not at all. I think it's just the nature of the beast... they set themselves the very definition of an impossible task.

FF7R will still be a joy to play through and experience the game in a new way, but it'll never meet my expectations. So yea, for that reason, keep a trickle of information coming, and hold off on that big trailer for as long as possible.

Last edited: