• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it even possible to make a good speed racer game? Dare I dream?

• Stop it. You're just hurting yourself.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Sure? Maybe?

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Yes, definitely, here's my design doc.

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Speed Racer is one of the most significant anime franchises for the way that it crossed cultural lines, and has managed to maintain a presence over 5 decades. They're still showing reruns on Disney XD. But, the last major media we got from Speed Racer was the 2008 Wachowski film, which was critically panned. I know a lot of ya'll probably don't care for it, and that's because you're all damn heathens. Still some of the hypest depictions of racing in media (I'd take Speed Racer over Fast and Furious. Yes, of course neither is real racing, but WHATEVER. Just take a look at this clip from the movie and tell me this wouldn't be fun to experience.

The last real Speed Racer video game was 20 years back, aside from a web browser game and maybe a movie tie-in. Could we ever see a return of a Speed Racer game? The challenge, of course, is that it's almost impossible to capture the feeling of SR within the confines of a normal racing game. It becomes a normal race with a couple of jumps and explosions and stuff. Meh.

I imagine it would have to be less of a pure racer (ie: not just a Forza Horizon expansion, though that could be cool), but something that really pays off the feeling of momentum and violence (insert Forza ramming joke here). I don't think OnRush is the model, but it is a game that takes racing and turns it into an entirely different genre focused on moving through enemies.

Plus, Speed Racer is an anime - there's some interesting story both overall and from episode to episode. What do ya'll think?

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My man Speed couldn't even get a cameo in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, it's not looking good.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Speed Racer is one of the most significant anime franchises for the way that it crossed cultural lines, and has managed to maintain a presence over 5 decades. They're still showing reruns on Disney XD. But, the last major media we got from Speed Racer was the 2008 Wachowski film, which was critically panned. I know a lot of ya'll probably don't care for it, and that's because you're all damn heathens.
i stopped reading here

youve never seen any discussions about this movie on this board before have you?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
youve never seen any discussions about this movie on this board before have you?
I'm not the OP, and I haven't, and I don't have extensive memories of the anime either, but... well, this being more of a gaming discussion board, I wouldn't expect seeing the movie being discussed here, no. :P

More on topic, I guess I could see something like a Speed Racer game... but, well, a good Speed Racer game would, I think, be harder to make than a good NASCAR Racers game. Far more ways to mess up a story-driven sci-fi racing-based game, than essentially an arcade sci-fi racing game with "story elements".

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will be a new Speed Racer game sooner rather than later, and it's a mobile game. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'm not the OP, and I haven't, and I don't have extensive memories of the anime either, but... well, this being more of a gaming discussion board, I wouldn't expect seeing the movie being discussed here, no. :P

More on topic, I guess I could see something like a Speed Racer game... but, well, a good Speed Racer game would, I think, be harder to make than a good NASCAR Racers game. Far more ways to mess up a story-driven sci-fi racing-based game, than essentially an arcade sci-fi racing game with "story elements".
i think its one of the most universally praised movies on this website. i cant think of a movie more people on here like and talk about

www.resetera.com

Speed Racer.

This movie, this movie isn’t a movie. I know there’s been some threads on it, but I have recently finally watched it, and so very seriously think it may be one of, if not my favorite film of all time. Now, I could go into why I feel that way. And I probably should. But...just watch the movie...
www.resetera.com

Why Speed Racer is one of the most visually innovative movies, period. (mobile warning/gifs)

Speed Racer recently turned 10, I think we had a thread about it. Some people around here know it's one of my favorite movies, and for its anniversary I wrote a little something detailing its most unique and peculiar aspect: how it looks. I present it in its near-entirety. This is equal parts an...
www.resetera.com

The New Hollywood "Speed Racer" didn't see coming

The Wachowskis’ bizarre 2008 adaptation of the ’60s anime was a paean to creative freedom—that bombed at the box office behind the success of Iron Man. I thought this was a pretty decent article about the fall of the Wachowskis and the rise of the current Hollywood blockbuster era, how a decade...
www.resetera.com

The Wachowski's Speed Racer is 10 Years Old

It's also on Netflix. If you're already a convert, watch it again. If you haven't, give it a shot. Those who know, know how good it is. Those who don't, will learn soon. Bold art style, brilliant effects, great tone, solid performances with just the right amount cheese and then some more...
www.resetera.com

Speed Racer (2008) is on Netflix GO! GO! GO!

The direction, the visual style, the acting (a good amount of it at least). Holy shit. Here's your live action anime. Yes, it gets waaay too convoluted in the middle with all the talk of stock and manipulation, but the beginning and end are absolutely perfect. That first race shows...

and thats not even all of them

skim any of them and theres just tons of praise. i dont think saying "I know a lot of ya'll probably don't care for it" is even close to accurate

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Oh hey, an IP we made a game on!

Some Speed Racer: The Movie: The Videogame on PS2/Wii trivia
  • We actually got the opportunity to develop this game because the niece of the Wachowskis played out original title GripShift and loved it. They called me directly on my mobile just as I was going to sleep one night. That was maybe one of the most surreal phone calls of my life.
  • When, for various reasons, we couldn't get a publishing deal done with Ubisoft who was first in line to publish, Joel Silver called me at the office. I wasn't in so one of my team asked how to spell his name. Apparently, he just said "I produced the Matrix" and hung up. In any case, I chatted with him later and he got a publishing deal drafted and done with WB Games within a day, which is about as fast as I have ever seen anything move in the games industry.
  • Working with them was great and we had unprecedented access to material, while they were also very receptive to ideas. Some of the character names we made in the game ended up in the film. The game is actually set a year after the events of the film, so we had a lot of room to build out the world, like designing a car for Trixie.
  • We were finaling the game right as a new epilepsy scare hit Nintendo. They suddenly rolled out a new set of tests you had to adhere to which was essentially avoiding triggering a machine designed to detect whether TV content could induce epileptic fits. Unfortunately the machine was super sensitive when it came to videogames. All communication around it was handled by phone because nobody wanted to commit to a paper trail in case there was liability for something eventually. We essentially had to remove many effects and textures which gave a greater sense of speed and the replay/tracking cameras which necessarily had hard cuts that triggered the detection device. It sucked stripping stuff out that made the game better.
  • There were plans for a sequel movie (focused more on the Racer X story I think) and associated game, but already in the first week of the movies release it was only tracking at half of what WB needed it to in order for WB to move forward (the game actually did 4x expectation!).

However, we had already done a quick port of the game to PS3 to push forward the project quickly. I posted on Twitter about it recently with some screens from the prototype

We also have been channeling some Speed Racer (and Fast and Furious vibes) in our recent Apple Arcade title Agent Intercept. We are continuing to build that out, and it may come to console and PC eventually.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

• We actually got the opportunity to develop this game because the niece of the Wachowskis played out original title GripShift and loved it. They called me directly on my mobile just as I was going to sleep one night. That was maybe one of the most surreal phone calls of my life.
  • When, for various reasons, we couldn't get a publishing deal done with Ubisoft who was first in line to publish, Joel Silver called me at the office. I wasn't in so one of my team asked how to spell his name. Apparently, he just said "I produced the Matrix" and hung up. In any case, I chatted with him later and he got a publishing deal drafted and done with WB Games within a day, which is about as fast as I have ever seen anything move in the games industry.
  • Working with them was great and we had unprecedented access to material, while they were also very receptive to ideas. Some of the character names we made in the game ended up in the film. The game is actually set a year after the events of the film, so we had a lot of room to build out the world, like designing a car for Trixie.
  • We were finaling the game right as a new epilepsy scare hit Nintendo. They suddenly rolled out a new set of tests you had to adhere to which was essentially avoiding triggering a machine designed to detect whether TV content could induce epileptic fits. Unfortunately the machine was super sensitive when it came to videogames. All communication around it was handled by phone because nobody wanted to commit to a paper trail in case there was liability for something eventually. We essentially had to remove many effects and textures which gave a greater sense of speed and the replay/tracking cameras which necessarily had hard cuts that triggered the detection device. It sucked stripping stuff out that made the game better.
  • There were plans for a sequel movie (focused more on the Racer X story I think) and associated game, but already in the first week of the movies release it was only tracking at half of what WB needed it to in order for WB to move forward (the game actually did 4x expectation!).

However, we had already done a quick port of the game to PS3 to push forward the project quickly. I posted on Twitter about it recently with some screens from the prototype

Wow that's some interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
cyrribrae

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
SteveWinwood Lol appreciate the receipts. But that comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek haha.

There will be a new Speed Racer game sooner rather than later, and it's a mobile game. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
T_T Why you do this.

We also have been channeling some Speed Racer (and Fast and Furious vibes) in our recent Apple Arcade title Agent Intercept. We are continuing to build that out, and it may come to console and PC eventually.

Man that is so cool!!! I totally overlooked the game cuz movie tie-in, but watching some footage, you cemented what I was thinking but struggling to put into words. Taking some really smart liberties from normal racing expectations. I can't believe how surreal it must be to just get a call from the Wachowski's directly LOL. Gosh, I would love see another one XD.

How did you guys approach making the track design?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

A trivia that i absolutely love is that because of marketing stuff from the movie, there is a car based on the brazilian state oil producer ... it is so random looking back

HKtk6Oj.png

yF96Jas.png

It is fun because the car is basically an easter egg in the movie so it had more representantion in the game

Nov 2, 2017

Awesome! I love the PS2 game, delivered an updated F-Zero experience with a cool license.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
SteveWinwood Lol appreciate the receipts. But that comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek haha.
okay okay you got me

it did sound a little too goofy for this place

pretty cool stuff!

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Man that is so cool!!! I totally overlooked the game cuz movie tie-in, but watching some footage, you cemented what I was thinking but struggling to put into words. Taking some really smart liberties from normal racing expectations. I can't believe how surreal it must be to just get a call from the Wachowski's directly LOL. Gosh, I would love see another one XD.

How did you guys approach making the track design?

They didn't actually have full track layouts designed for the movie from what I recall, but did have different sections for the final track and for the brief snippets of other track based races you saw in the film (but not suitable to go into the game really, even in a stripped down form), so we just extrapolated from that as inspiration as well as coming up with our own environments and themes. We had quite a lot of freedom which was great, and never really had any pushback on anything or got bogged down in approvals.

The Lead Designer on the project was Andy Satterthwaite, who worked on some of the WIpeout games and Quantum Redshift, so he brought a lot of experience to the table for this sort of game. The tracks were mostly designed and tested as splines, and then later had the wider environments dressed and lit to whatever the theme and location of the track was.

This video is a little interlaced but gives a broad look at some of the tracks in the game

I think we ended up making the game from start to finish in just 9-10 months. Was a short and tight project, but a lot of fun. WB Games was a great publisher to work with, as were the Wachowskis and their team.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
There was a Speed Racer game on PS1 that I remember being fun as a kid.

Also kinda off topic but I'm still salty that Speed wasn't in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, presumably because of the Wachowski's film?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
As an expert armchair developer, I'm fully qualified to declare that a great Speed Racer game is not just possible, it's inevitable.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
No, Speed Racer is simply too complex and awesome to be possibly translated into video game form.

*cough*

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
There was a Speed Racer game on PS1 that I remember being fun as a kid.
I bought this a few years ago along with the Wii game after feeling a wave of Speed Racer nostalgia. Didn't care for the PlayStation game as it was a pretty basic racing game (although the two or three looped lines of dialogue probably soured me on it more than anything). Maybe I'll give it another shot and finally get around to playing the Wii game.

Speed Racer is probably the first anime I ever watched without even realizing it. And while I'd love for it to be more popular than it is currently, I think it's one of those things where everyone gets the references to it and kinda knows what it is, but nobody actively thinks about or cares all that much. Which is too bad. But the interest in automobiles and racing has waned over time, so I guess it's not a huge surprise.

That all said, I just got the idea of a point and click adventure game/racing sim with the classic animation style made by Vanillaware and I really wish that was a thing.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this a few years ago along with the Wii game after feeling a wave of Speed Racer nostalgia. Didn't care for the PlayStation game as it was a pretty basic racing game (although the two or three looped lines of dialogue probably soured me on it more than anything). Maybe I'll give it another shot and finally get around to playing the Wii game.

Speed Racer is probably the first anime I ever watched without even realizing it. And while I'd love for it to be more popular than it is currently, I think it's one of those things where everyone gets the references to it and kinda knows what it is, but nobody actively thinks about or cares all that much. Which is too bad. But the interest in automobiles and racing has waned over time, so I guess it's not a huge surprise.

That all said, I just got the idea of a point and click adventure game/racing sim with the classic animation style made by Vanillaware and I really wish that was a thing.

To be fair, I was very young when I played it, so I was probably just excited to be playing something that I enjoyed watching. I remember my dad having an MS-DOS Speed Racer game, but it's probably worse than the PS1 game.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii game had nooooo right being as good as it was.

Shame it'll be lost to time.

OP
OP
cyrribrae

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
They didn't actually have full track layouts designed for the movie from what I recall, but did have different sections for the final track and for the brief snippets of other track based races you saw in the film (but not suitable to go into the game really, even in a stripped down form), so we just extrapolated from that as inspiration as well as coming up with our own environments and themes. We had quite a lot of freedom which was great, and never really had any pushback on anything or got bogged down in approvals.

The Lead Designer on the project was Andy Satterthwaite, who worked on some of the WIpeout games and Quantum Redshift, so he brought a lot of experience to the table for this sort of game. The tracks were mostly designed and tested as splines, and then later had the wider environments dressed and lit to whatever the theme and location of the track was.

This video is a little interlaced but gives a broad look at some of the tracks in the game

I think we ended up making the game from start to finish in just 9-10 months. Was a short and tight project, but a lot of fun. WB Games was a great publisher to work with, as were the Wachowskis and their team.

That's awesome! Pretty cool that they were willing to give you guys leeway to do what worked. Crazy that you got it done that quickly and also got it to feel good haha. Seems like quite the challenge with everyone spinning around all the time lol.

Yea, my original comment was based on seeing footage of the PS game, I totally missed the Wii game. I've actually thought along this very line. So much of what happens in the anime is not just racing. How interesting would it be to include some of those elements into a game. I don't think it'd be very good haha, but it'd be interesting. Uncover a mystery, find secrets in levels.. use your drone XD. But yea, who knows. The racing is the key part, but there's a lot more going on that would be interesting to adapt as well.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
To be fair, I was very young when I played it, so I was probably just excited to be playing something that I enjoyed watching. I remember my dad having an MS-DOS Speed Racer game, but it's probably worse than the PS1 game.
For sure, and heck, if you like it now just as much, that's great. My comment was a little more adversarial than my intent, so sorry about that.

I'm going to look up that DOS game now, as I am very curious. Apparently, there's also a Super Nintendo game made by Accolade and an arcade game by Namco. Kinda thought there'd be more than just a handful of games, total. There being no Famicom game is especially surprising.

Nov 2, 2017

That's a cool trailer. Y'all did great work. Really recommend folks to pick this game up. I play the PS2 version. Fast cars, stunts, Car-fu! Very fun.