• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Inappropriate commentary, perpetuating a racial meme
Do you know da wae?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The style guide itself seems rock solid. If this is a fake, it's a very good fake. (I wouldn't rule out this being fake at all. Remember the Grinch leak.)

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, it looks amateurish. The perspective on the art is poor at best, not to mention the shading and coloring.

Compare it to the Chris Pratt image above, for example (or even unofficial ones like the Santa Monica version).

Yep, I'm not sure how this got any sort of traction to be honest, it's some Deviantart-tier work at best... Anybody could make up a URL to a supposedly deleted Hamagami / Carroll webpage (the fact it's called 'Sonic Boom' is likely just meant to throw people off)... And after looking at the quality of their actual portfolio, I have serious doubts that they would be willing to put anything out that looked as crap as this.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of impressive that they made something so similar and recognizable but also worse. It's like they took every element of the design and found a worse version of it.
Its not as bad as I thought as it would look. In the sense that like, I thought it would be like a negative 2 in terms of design and its like... a normal 2. But I generally share your sentiment.

Like someone looked at what people liked about sonic stuff and went

" How about we do none of this "

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Yep, I'm not sure how this got any sort of traction to be honest, it's some Deviantart-tier work at best... And frankly anybody could make up a URL to a supposed deleted Hamagami / Carroll webpage (the fact it calls itself 'Sonic Boom' seems like a red herring). Plus looking at the quality of their actual portfolio, I seriously doubt they would be willing to put out anything that looked as crap as this.
It's confirmed real https://twitter.com/tssznews/status/1102705749124358144?s=19

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
They should just make Sonic a hairy man covered in blue paint wearing nothing but shoes.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I'm not sure how this got any sort of traction to be honest, it's some Deviantart-tier work at best... And frankly anybody could make up a URL to a supposed deleted Hamagami / Carroll webpage (the fact it calls itself 'Sonic Boom' seems like a red herring). Plus looking at the quality of their actual portfolio, I seriously doubt they would be willing to put out anything that looked as crap as this.
Nah, at least give many kids and deviantartists some credit here. They're more often following the official design of modern and classic Sonic. This is something else. The limbs on this thing remind me more of Ken Penders art than anything else.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
When I see shit like this it just reaffirms my belief that at least half of the artists who work in Hollywood need to be fired.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nah, at least give many kids and deviantartists some credit here. They're more often following the official design of modern and classic Sonic. This is something else. The limbs on this thing remind me more of Ken Penders art than anything else.

Yeah sorry, the DA jab was unfair, but you know what I mean though; it does seem hugely amateurish for sure. It seems like someone basically just saw that Chris Pratt picture that was going around, and decided to draw that design of Sonic in a handful of poses from past promo materials. But why would they consciously base one off of an '06 pose? In a 'style guide' for a movie and movie merch? Makes no sense.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry, the DA jab was unfair, but you know what I mean though; it does seem hugely amateurish for sure. It seems like someone basically just saw that Chris Pratt picture that was going around, and decided to draw that design of Sonic in a handful of poses from past promo materials. But why would they consciously base one off of an '06 pose? In a 'style guide' for a movie and movie merch? Makes no sense.

I do wonder why media relating to the film might lack originality and/or try to piggyback on existing imagery to appeal to fans.

Wait, no I don't.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Man, y'all are wack. Considering how much worse this design could've been I am pleased as punch that it looks like this. We could've had something truly horrific like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

And y'all are still complaining about this design? Be grateful they went as cartoony as they did with this look. What did you want, fuckin Roger Rabbit?

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
This looks rather amateurish, the anatomy isn't symmetrical and the shading is flat for the fur texture.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It could honestly be much worse. Sonic ain't gonna look natural in live action, but given that Jim Carey is Eggman, I think the movie is going to slant self aware and absurd which is so much more palatable than when Sonic tries to be serious.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they just go the whole hog and make his eyeballs furry too? If the limit didn't stop white fur gloves you might as well not have one.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I do wonder why media relating to the film might lack originality and/or try to piggyback on existing imagery to appeal to fans.

Wait, no I don't.
What? No need for the snark, come on. Take past instances where they've redesigned/'reinvented' Sonic; they've never just copied "iconic" (the '06 one I mentioned is anything but) poses wholesale. They especially wouldn't do this for a movie that's designed to appeal to the mass market first and foremost. Plus this is a style guide, why would they use those very specific poses in media that isn't meant to be seen by the 'fans' (or general public) anyway?

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know that opinions on Pikachu's design is a bit decisive here, but my God does this film suffer from having Pokémon releasing, it was destined for ridicule in concept alone, now it has a far superior video game movie design to deny even the "we tried to make it look good" argument.

The tone of this film needs to be beyond spot on for audiences en mass for this to not be amongst Sonic's worst failures.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the final design.

This is using early paintings for the slides. Any and all products will end up using final CG model marketing poses straight from the render stations.

Like just think yall, for just for one second, why on earth would they plaster some photoshop painted shit on toy boxes and marketing stands when they have direct render models they could use? This was likely put together before they could hand out model poses.

That said, Sega needs to release the final look for Sonic live action yesterday to avoid the damage these leaks are doing.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
What? No need for the snark, come on. Take past instances where they've redesigned/'reinvented' Sonic; they've never just copied "iconic" (the '06 one I mentioned is anything but) poses wholesale. They especially wouldn't do this for a movie that's designed to appeal to the mass market first and foremost. Plus this is a style guide, why would they use those very specific poses in media that isn't meant to be seen by the 'fans' (or general public) anyway?

I didn't mean for the snark to be taken insultingly. I'm sure those renders will be used in actual marketing, like on toy boxes - in adapting a character to a different medium using a visual shorthand of a recognizable pose is something quite common, at least in my perception. It's less conceptual work, and can be additionally impactful for fans.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I know that opinions on Pikachu's design is a bit decisive here, but my God does this film suffer from having Pokémon releasing, it was destined for ridicule in concept alone, now it has a far superior video game movie design to deny even the "we tried to make it look good" argument.

The tone of this film needs to be beyond spot on for audiences en mass for this to not be amongst Sonic's worst failures.
Pokemon is apparently good enough to make a sequel lol

This gonna shit on all the videogame movie goodwill from that film. And I'm all for it