• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Could the "red pill, blue pill", predestination and Matrix stuff translate to a 9th gen AAA game?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • No.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I think by the 10th gen the tech will be there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There will never be tech good enough to realize a game of this scale.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Tech wont be a problem necessarily, but the budget would be so high no one would fund it.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • There is not a feasible market for this game.

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I honestly think tech could be good enough now that this game could be possible and a hit depending on who gets to work on it.

What would it look like? Who could work on it?

Before someone says Remedy, I honestly think if they started working on it in 2021 a project of this cale from them wouldnt come out before the 10th gen, especially considering they already have a project with epic and other stuff.

Is this something you would personally want?

If rights for the Matrix are a problem, could a new IP with these elements work?

Edit: For those not getting the question, it is a Matrix game yeah, or as close to that as an AAA Matrix game can be in the 9th gen.

Edit 2: Further clarification, when I say red pill, blue pill, predestination and rest of the Matrix stuff I dont mean like previous Matrix games, more of what Hockeymac18 said in post 30 ITT and I do realize tech and budget are hurdles that make this nearly impossible so I had that reflected in that poll, I am sure a new Matrix game that is nothing like what we are talking about here will happen or it at least has a good chance of happening some time soon.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I think you need to explain a bit better. Do you mean a video game set in the Matrix, or a real Matrix type of thing like an advanced version of VR?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Are you asking if it's possible to create a game based on The Matrix on next-gen hardware?

Like...what?

mddover

Jan 9, 2019
I don't really get what you mean, either. Do you mean a game where the player picks either a "red pill" or "blue pill" option and depending on what they pick they get a different story/game? Cause I suppose that would work - that's basically what picking Jill or Chris in RE1 does.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think you need to explain a bit better. Do you mean a video game set in the Matrix, or a real Matrix type of thing like an advanced version of VR?
I don't understand your question
Are you asking if it's possible to create a game based on The Matrix on next-gen hardware?

Like...what?
you've got some blanks to fill in here, OP
I don't really get what you mean, either. Do you mean a game where the player picks either a "red pill" or "blue pill" option and depending on what they pick they get a different story/game? Cause I suppose that would work - that's basically what picking Jill or Chris in RE1 does.
What in the goddamned?
Yes an AAA 9th gen Matrix game, sorry if the OP wasnt clear, I edited it.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Poor OP. Everyone is so confused. (I am too, lol)

But I think what OP means is a game based on the Matrix franchise, yes. Probably a "you are part of the Matrix" as a new character, akin to the new Hogwarts game where you basically live a full experience within that universe, as opposed to simply playing as one of the franchise leads through events that mirror one of the film stories.

I'd be super down for it.

I have no idea what 9th or 10th gen means -- haven't seen those numbers before, lol. Is 9th the gen we just entered with the PS5/Series X? What gen is the Switch part of? lol

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
So what, Second Life but more detailed and occasionally you see someone in a trenchcoat doing wirefu in the background?

That isn't a matter of the tech not being there, it's way too expensive in every respect.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I mean VR exists now so yeah, they could make a game where you enter the matrix.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I don't think it's a matter of tech, it's a matter of it being an old IP, would cost a shitton, no guarantee it would sell.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
tenor.gif

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
OP why didn't you simply ask "Can they make a matrix game in 9th gen?" instead of whatever you wrote?

Cause the answer to that is yes, the made a matrix game on PS2 even, it's not a special in translateable source material. But would they make one? No one knows.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Yes. We've had Matrix games before, one of which let you chose which pill to take. But choosing the blue pill just ended the game.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Yes it's called VRChat and you can play it now for free. There was also The Matrix Online. Still have no idea what this thread is about.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Yes an AAA 9th gen Matrix game, sorry if the OP wasnt clear, I edited it.
Like you mean a completely artificial Earth that we "play" in? Like what the Matrix is in The Matrix movies? Sounds amazingly difficult and still out of reach for our technology.

Or do you mean a game based on the The Matrix movies where you play as a character following the typical story arch of those kinds of games. Yes, of course. And there have been versions on older generations.

May 19, 2020
i'm not really confused by the premise of the OP, i'm confused why there are seven goddamn poll options. brevity son

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Like you mean a completely artificial Earth that we "play" in? Like what the Matrix is in The Matrix movies? Sounds amazingly difficult and still out of reach for our technology.

Or do you mean a game based on the The Matrix movies where you play as a character following the typical story arch of those kinds of games. Yes, of course. And there have been versions on older generations.
The first yeah and that is why tech and budget are part of the poll because it would require tech advancements and an insane budget to pull off.

Nov 1, 2017
I think it's less of a question about the tech and more about whether the franchise could get such a budget. If Matrix 4 delivers and kicks off another trilogy I can see it happening with the right partners. I imagine it would probably end up as some kind of live service thing though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sure but the phrase "red pill" is synonymous with toxicity nowadays.
People here get that. But you can't discuss the particulars of the plot of The Matrix without its dinstiction between the red and blue pills.

That being said, I could see a remake of The Matrix dropping the pills for something else, given what how their meaning have been coopted by chuds.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You're basically asking for a full-blown metaverse. That won't be happening until at least PS7, and it will have to be built around VR/AR rather than traditional interfaces.

It's not that we don't have the tech to create such a world - we mostly do, but creating it at a scale and fidelity that you want is such a massive undertaking that it will take many years and likely many companies all adding to a decentralized world.

Sure, Microsoft Flight Simulator is the entire globe, but you can't just get out of the plane and enter a shop, or play basketball, or visit a night club - that is all content that has to be developed for.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you can use the red pill/blue pill stuff specifically because it's been co-opted by radicals.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
The first yeah and that is why tech and budget are part of the poll because it would require tech advancements and an insane budget to pull off.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess one option that I didn't see was a future generation. I think we're still a bit far off even for technology to simulate the entire Earth and all of the things happening in it.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Further clarification, when I say red pill, blue pill, predestination and rest of the Matrix stuff I dont mean like previous Matrix games, more of what Hockeymac18 said in post 30 ITT and I do realize tech and budget are hurdles that make this nearly impossible so I had that reflected in that poll, I am sure a new Matrix game that is nothing like what we are talking about here will happen or it at least has a good chance of happening some time soon.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for clarifying. I guess one option that I didn't see was a future generation. I think we're still a bit far off even for technology to simulate the entire Earth and all of the things happening in it.
I should have an option for gen 11 and further, but that is 15 years from now, things will be so different.

I am sure there will be some tech for it in the 10th gen at least, not just hardware, I think software improvements will make it possible.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
People here get that. But you can't discuss the particulars of the plot of The Matrix without its dinstiction between the red and blue pills.

That being said, I could see a remake of The Matrix dropping the pills for something else, given what how their meaning have been coopted by chuds.
I wanna hear a discussion around the matrix that doesnt mention the pills or predestination, what would that look like lol?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
So OP if I chose to take the blue pill does that mean my console will shut off on its own?

If I take the red pill will I transform into a true gamer who's super Misogynistic?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna hear a discussion around the matrix that doesnt mention the pills or predestination, what would that look like lol?
The nature of the robot uprising, the existence of the supernatural within The Matrix, etc.

There are a million things to discuss about The Matrix that have nothing to do with the pills, and I feel like the technical achievability of the game you're proposing is one of them, mainly because many other games and series have done that premise without that discussion. You're basically asking if it's possible to have a fully rendered earth to screw around in that you can choose to leave at any time for another simultaneously active Zion.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
you're asking for ready player one i think. i very much doubt microsoft/sony/nintendo are going to rob us of all or clothes and stick us into jelly baths while plugged into their new consoles through our necks.

maybe amazon or google though

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I still don't really understand exactly what the OP is talking about. He said similar to what's in post 30, but like, how similar? What exactly do you want? A fully rendered alternate reality? All this pill talk and how you worded your OP is really confusing.

Edit: like you bring up remedy so I think, ok a remedy game, they make linear, narrative third person shooters, but you seem to think they would be a fit, but then you say you want a fully realized, real actual matrix, which is so far beyond the scope of remedy games that it doesn't make sense, so then it seems like you mean a game based on the matrix movie?

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what OP is asking for. There are open world games that are like the real world, like GTA. That was possible on the PS2. Do you mean something that is completely indistinguishable from reality? Because that will never happen. Aside from that there are just different levels of approximation to that, and every gen it gets better. So it depends how you define your goal.