• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
lol no.

You make a compelling case but I feel like "the next chapter in cinematic storytelling" is just buzzwords that could apply to virtually any game. Same with them looking for an artist " to create photorealistic 3D characters with highly realistic textures such as worn fabric and accessories". What game (with characters) does that not apply too?

We're never seeing The Order again. About 70 people have a strong desire to see it return with a reboot and everyone else in the world forgot what it was when RaD moved on to better things. Still, prove me wrong Sony. If they can return to that IP with a brand new team and make something undeniably good from it then I'll tip my hat to them. I'm sticking with 'feels like a stretch' though.

Last edited:

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
You and the others aren't a large or extensive group otherwise the first game would have sold and been recieved much better. A lot of movies that did incredibly poorly still have their proponents but doesn't mean you're getting a sequel.
2m sales for a new IP was not bad.
Reviews bombed the game unfairly as the reputation it got did not help. One of the main concerns being the length, which I don't care about. Took me long enough on hard to beat it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2m sales for a new IP was not bad.
Reviews bombed the game unfairly as the reputation it got did not help. One of the main concerns being the length, which I don't care about. Took me long enough on hard to beat it.

HZD sold over 10 million as a new IP. 2 million in sales for a AAA game in development for 4 to 5 years isn't much. The game was already half off less than a few weeks after its release as well.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
No chance in hell. Sony is doubling down on what has worked out for them. The Order didn't work out.

They would greenlight 10 more Uncharted games before a forgotten IP like The Order.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I wish.

It sounds like they're working with Naughty Dog, so if it isn't Uncharted, it's either a spin-off or Jak reboot

Oct 29, 2017
I would love for this to be true. I paid full price for 1886 at launch and liked it a lot.
Amazing characters, setting and graphics. Gameplay was basic, but good enough, except for the werewolf fights.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
My guess... they are either remaking The Last of Us 1 for PS5 in collaboration with ND who'd be working on the Factions multiplayer or remaking God of War 1 in collaboration with SSM.

Let's not forget that this studio was said to have been built to work on existing IPs, for either spin-offs or remakes.
I recently saw a job listing for the new Sony VASG studio in San Diego.

They're working on a new title referred to as the "next chapter in cinematic storytelling".

Shinobi already stated that it wasn't Uncharted. Also that it would divide people and should be announced soon.

The job listing stated that they want to create photorealistic 3D characters with highly realistic textures such as worn fabric and accessories.

What piqued my interest is experience with Marvelous design, Mari, Agisoft, Substance, Mudbox and photogrammetry.

Many of these technologies were discussed as used to create the engine that created the visuals of The Order: 1886.

Could Sony be trying to reboot the franchise?
These softwares are also used in a plethora of other games.
The Order was a massive commercial and critical failure, unfortunately.

The game had incredible potential and RAD are incredibly talented, it's just unfortunate that it didn't pan out. Otherwise RAD would no doubt be a Sony 1st party studio by now.

The gameplay wasn't what it was advertised to be in interviews. The gameplay was initially supposed to have a lot of physics-based destruction (bending of metal and what have you). Given the CPU of the last-gen consoles and RAD's small size, that's probably why it was cut.

It isn't easy for a small studio of about 50-70 people to develop it's own, brand new AAA IP, even with Sony's backing.

For what it's worth, their technical achievements with the game still impress. But no, it's highly unlikely we'll ever see a sequel.
No. It was said that the game broke even.
The Order was a massive commercial and critical failure, unfortunately.

The game had incredible potential and RAD are incredibly talented, it's just unfortunate that it didn't pan out. Otherwise RAD would no doubt be a Sony 1st party studio by now.

The gameplay wasn't what it was advertised to be in interviews. The gameplay was initially supposed to have a lot of physics-based destruction (bending of metal and what have you). Given the CPU of the last-gen consoles and RAD's small size, that's probably why it was cut.

It isn't easy for a small studio of about 50-70 people to develop it's own, brand new AAA IP, even with Sony's backing.

For what it's worth, their technical achievements with the game still impress. But no, it's highly unlikely we'll ever see a sequel.
No.
Yeah, so it's easy to see why there'd be so much smoke around this being Uncharted. But I guess, if you wanna play devil's advocate and believe that Shinobi info, it could be that they're working with Guerilla to reboot Killzone, or Bend with Syphon Filter. Killzone would be most likely in this scenario though imo.
There appears to be melee combat in the game. So probably not Killzone nor Syphon Filter.

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The Order 1886 was a commercial and critical failure. Why do people think Sony would waste time and and money reviving this IP?

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
The Order 1886 was a commercial and critical failure. Why do people think Sony would waste time and and money reviving this IP?
The Order 1886 was not a commercial failure. It just didn't lit the charts on fire. The game broken even. They also revived MediEvil among all their IPs, just saying. 😂

streepmeryl

Mar 4, 2018
maybe, but it would be a shame if it wasn't made by Ready At Dawn. Why would it be anyone else?? That's bs

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It's dwarfed in sales by other new Sony IPs like Horizon and Days Gone. Even Death Stranding did better.
You are comparing it to points in time where the PS4 had much bigger install base (~ 63M units as of June 2017 and ~92M units in January 2019). If we go by that metric, Bloodborne and InFamous Second Son would also be considered as commercial failures (at launch). By the time Death Stranding came out, the PS4 was nearing 100M units.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
maybe, but it would be a shame if it wasn't made by Ready At Dawn. Why would it be anyone else?? That's bs
Because it was "co-developed" with SSM and it's a SIE IP in the end. For the same reason they (SIE) commissioned Other Ocean to work the MediEvil remake when it was a Guerilla Cambridge IP (formerly Sony Cambridge).
Is there any indication that they're working on an existing IP? Also, how soon is "soon"? May?
That new team was said to have been created to work solely on existing SIE IPs.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are comparing it to points in time where the PS4 had much bigger install base (~ 63M units as of June 2017 and ~92M units in January 2019). If we go by that metric, Bloodborne and InFamous Second Son would also be considered as commercial failures (at launch).

I'm comparing new IPs that had similar development times. I'd even argue launching earlier in the consoles life cycle gives a game a much better chance of breaking out with less competition. This isn't even getting into how heavily discounted the game was like 3 weeks after release. So yeah it's a dud out of the gate and in the long run which you can't say about the games I brought up.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

They're working on a new title referred to as the "next chapter in cinematic storytelling".

Shinobi already stated that it wasn't Uncharted. Also that it would divide people and should be announced soon.

The job listing stated that they want to create photorealistic 3D characters with highly realistic textures such as worn fabric and accessories.

What piqued my interest is experience with Marvelous design, Mari, Agisoft, Substance, Mudbox and photogrammetry.

Many of these technologies were discussed as used to create the engine that created the visuals of The Order: 1886.

Those technologies are probably used by multiple Sony first-party games, so that's probably not strong evidence.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I'm comparing new IPs that had similar development times. I'd even argue launching earlier in the consoles life cycle gives a game a much better chance of breaking out with less competition. This isn't even getting into how heavily discounted the game was like 3 weeks after release. So yeah it's a dud out of the gate and in the long run which you can't say about the games I brought up.
Lol. No.
Polygon: I feel like I see the game on sale a lot. Does that drive a lot of sales?

RW: I would say it's [been] pretty steady since the game has been released. Of course, counting out the first few months for any game is pretty huge, it's been pretty steady. There's been kind of a constant group of people playing. And every time people play ... they're kind of like, 'Hey, just played your game, loved it. When's the next one coming out?' We keep on getting those. So yeah, I think it's got a long life as far as the game's concerned.
www.polygon.com

Revisiting The Order: 1886 with developer Ready At Dawn

We look back at one of the prettiest — and shortest — PS4 exclusives

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
People should be trying to find the studio making Uncharted knowing it isn't VASG instead of trying to find the game VASG is making.

Zach19593

Dec 10, 2019
Well, a cinematic Sony dormant IP could also be Heavenly Sword, by another developer of course.
Or, more probably, some IPs the respective devs don't care anymore, like inFamous.
As for Syphon Filter, I think the situation is way more complicated there. I could see Bluepoint to cover that spot rather than VASG or anyone else.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's the worst game Sony's put out in like 20 years so god I sure hope not. What a complete waste of 7 hours for that platinum. Realizing the copy/pasted fight complete with identical tooltip was actually the final boss was just insulting.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020

Order 1886 sequel?
I wish. The franchise is dead most probably

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
There's as good of a chance of getting a sequel to Dark Sector, Fracture, or Haze. It's a dead IP.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It's the worst game Sony's put out in like 20 years so god I sure hope not. What a complete waste of 7 hours for that platinum. Realizing the copy/pasted fight complete with identical tooltip was actually the final boss was just insulting.
Lol, no. You clearly haven't played White Knight Chronicles or Kung Fu Raiders.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Also this Polygon interview with Ru at RAD is bizarre. He's talking about the game as though it were a particularly risky blend of cinema and gaming. It's just a worse version of what Naughty Dog was already doing. I find this perplexing. It was not an attempt to redefine the medium or change what games could be.

edit: and I like the game!

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Honestly... I would be hyped if Cory Barlog led a soft reboot for The Order 1886 as a spiritual sequel. That man (and his team) creates magic.

Don't you find it peculiar that they had Kratos literally fight werewolves in hand-to-hand combat in God of War 2018. They were probably testing the mechanics for a new The Order 1886 spiritual sequel called The Sentinel. 🤔😂
Nah, they're making Twisted Metal.
No. Some jobs are asking experience in Melee combat.
Almost 100% of the people on Earth who care about The Order post on these very forums.
😂
giphy.gif

I wouldn't mind if they do a sequel to 1886 since I did like the game, but it is really time for Syphon Filter to come back.
If the rumors of MGS being remade by Bluepoint/SIE are true, it's not.

Last edited:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Lol, no. You clearly haven't played White Knight Chronicles or Kjng Fu Raiders.

I finished both White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 and they were both MILES better than anything Order 1886 contained. Kung Fu Riders is probably about the same level of bad but at least I never paid money for that trash.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Well, Shinobi also many times said that The Order IP is dead.
Well... Shinobi also said that there isnt a The Order sequel in development.
Well, if they made a spiritual sequel, technically it wouldn't be The Order. 😏
No, I once asked Quentin Cobb on Twitter and he basically laughed at me lol
Doesn't he work for Zenimax Online now?