• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who wins?

• Covenant

Votes: 68 44.2%
  • Empire

Votes: 74 48.1%
  • "Then it is an even fight"

Votes: 12 7.8%

• Total voters

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both at the height of their power. Neither knows the capabilities of the other

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Covenant don't even know how to use their own technology to its full extent, to say nothing of having no clue what tactics are.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we talking pre or post schism? I presume "pre" because you mention the height of their power.

Id say they could, yeah. Presuming they have access to Forerunner tech when the Empire doesn't.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
That's kind of a tough one. I'd say they're even on a lot of fronts except for maybe their actual infantry. Stormtroopers just have regular plate armor, but the Elites and some other races have that and an energy shield. However the Empire can blow up planets, the covenant can glass them but it's a much longer, less immediate process.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An argument could be made that the First Order is just the Empire with a different paint job, so if we consider the Empire at the height of its power to be whatever the First Order had then they've got an entire fleet of Death Star Destroyers at their disposal as well as the Starkiller Base and the Covenant has nothing on that level of firepower.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
You'd think the galactic empire has vastly more resources than the covenant, but then again they got handily beaten by the rebellion punks on Endor. Plus the covenant ships would melt through the empire's battlecruisers just like they did with the UNSC fleet.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
The Empire has Force powers. The Covenant have......Plasma Rifles.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of a tough one. I'd say they're even on a lot of fronts except for maybe their actual infantry. Stormtroopers just have regular plate armor, but the Elites and some other races have that and an energy shield. However the Empire can blow up planets, the covenant can glass them but it's a much longer, less immediate process.

I forgot but doesn't the Covenant have something on par with the NOVA bombs that the UNSC has? Cause those can bust up planets.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think the galactic empire has vastly more resources than the covenant, but then again they got handily beaten by the rebellion punks on Endor. Plus the covenant ships would melt through the empire's battlecruisers just like they did with the UNSC fleet.

They're called turbolasers but aren't they just scaled up blasters that fire plasma? Both side would be firing pretty much the same thing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
An argument could be made that the First Order is just the Empire with a different paint job, so if we consider the Empire at the height of its power to be whatever the First Order had then they've got an entire fleet of Death Star Destroyers at their disposal as well as the Starkiller Base and the Covenant has nothing on that level of firepower.
You mean the one at the end of the last film? They never got that fleet off world though, it wouldn't count.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If activating a Halo array counts as a win for the Covenant, they could definitely pull it off. The Sangheili also seem more capable than any of the non-force wielding goobers the Empire sent out to do stuff. They can go invisble and have impeccable grenade aim.

Yes. Covenants have Sniper Jackels

👆

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Pretty sure the Covenant at their peak is drastically smaller than the Empire. At least in terms of presence on a galactic scale. But then, Covenant ships dwarf the Empire's. A Covenant Supercarrier is about 50% longer than a Super Star Destroyer, and I'm pretty sure the Covenant have far more (IIRC the Empire only had like, 7 SSDs, give or take?). Overall Star Destroyer fleet probably dwarfs the Covenant fleet in return though.

Tactics I give to the Empire, but technology is a wildcard. If I had to guess, Star Wars energy shields are significantly more capable, but comparing weapon effectiveness would rely on ass-pulls and dubious reference novels.

I'm not sure, but my gut says Empire (while somewhat paradoxically, I'd say the UNSC is significantly more capable than the Rebellion).

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I mean...one who person who is the equivalent of a Jango Fett clone on performance enhancing drugs can take down the Covenant.

What the fuck are they going to do against Darth Vader?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Tactics I give to the Empire, but technology is a wildcard. If I had to guess, Star Wars energy shields are significantly more capable, but comparing weapon effectiveness would rely on ass-pulls and dubious reference novels.

It's well established that Covenant shields both on the ground and in space don't handle energy weapons well. Where as Star Wars shields can take quite a beating. Covenant shields would be down long before the Empire's

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The Empire beats everyone except the Avengers+X-Men.

Magneto could crush Star Destroyers with his mind.

Covenant would simply be wiped out. Not even a contest.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
One side has a giant turbo laser that makes enemy planets go the way of the dodo while also possessing the technology to erect shields around their own worlds.

I'd say the Empire at its height, around the time of the first movie, would win.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The Covenant were at their most potent when humanity didn't know they existed, or that they were coming. Once they were in open war, they did serious damage, but humanity was able to fight them in open combat.

And that's Halo's humanity, which is not NEARLY as well equipped as the galactic empire.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
For comparison, Storm Troopers are just grunts

Meanwhile Grunts at the low tier uses Plasma Pistols can eat through a Spartan armor

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
The Empire. They seem bigger as an empire so have more ships and resources, plus there's no real tech or power advantage in the Covenants favour.
On the ground the Empire loses though, buut beating the Covenant on the ground didn't help the UNSC.

The Empire beats everyone except the Avengers+X-Men.
lol not. Even from Halo the Flood or Forerunner would wipe the Empire without much difficulty.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Covenant ground forces would likely chew through Stormtrooper infantry with ease. I think it's definitely a war that'd be decided by naval superiority but I'm not sure what side edges it out on that front. The Empire have more resources and ships at their disposal, but the Covenant have some really hefty firepower in those Supercarriers.

Though using the fact that they were beaten by the UNSC doesn't knock too many points off of the Covenant. They would almost assuredly have beaten them were it not for the Great Schism and the Sangheili allying themselves with humanity.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Covenant enemies can actually hit their targets. Also they've glassed more worlds than the Empire has destroyed with the Death Star.

So... Yeah, it's the Covenant.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Covenant enemies can actually hit their targets. Also they've glassed more worlds than the Empire has destroyed with the Death Star.

So... Yeah, it's the Covenant.

The most prominent example of Stormtroopers failing to hit their target was the Death Star where they were letting them go. Imagine these guys as Grunts Zerg rushing the Empire.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Wort...wort...wort...

Which Covenant? Pre-trilogy Covenant beat the Empire ofc. :D

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The Empire has naval superiority in numbers, but on the ground the Covenant is extremely formidable. Stormtroopers vs Elites? AT ATs vs Scarabs? Come on, dawg.

The two wild cards I can't really account for are the Covenant's shipboard AIs and the Empire's space wizards (including Inquisitors). The AIs might give the Covenant a tactical edge in space combat, but Vader is Vader. Idk. This is a tossup for me.

Kalamoj

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I don't know much about Halo, but the Galaxtic Empire is one of the most impotent power ever created. If the covenant can eliminate sith lords and/or death star, they won.
Stormtroopers and star destroyers are just decorations not an actual threat.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
The Covenant absolutely stomp this in on-the-ground combat. Stormtroopers and AT-ATs vs Elites/Brutes/Hunters and Scarabs is incredibly one-sided.

Ship to ship is closer though. I'd say the Covenant out-class your usual Star Wars ship, but they don't have anything as singularly powerful as a Death Star (not counting the Halo rings themselves, which aren't really part of the Covenant)

vhyn

Nov 13, 2017
The covenant destroys the surfaces of planets while the empire had two planet destroying starbases and a dictator with magic powers, it would be pretty one sided me thinks.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Star Wars tech is so advanced that its probably borderline crossing into the point where it might be percieved as magic. Its just...storm troopers are so bad at fighting...compared to the UNSC grunts which should by all rights have been stomped out of existence by the covenant because their own tech is probably only couple hundred years more advanced than ours.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Then that Grunt will get decimated as easily as the Trooper regardless of what they might be able to do if their opponent stood still and let them.

That stormtrooper will have to kill the Elite first as well as a shield Jackel before taking on the Grunts. And Stormtrooper are no better than a UNSC soldiers which killed billions of humans with a small fleet on Earth.

The covenant destroys the surfaces of planets while the empire had two planet destroying starbases and a dictator with magic powers, it would be pretty one sided me thinks.
The Covenant enslave the inhabitants or else they won't have a Covenant

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That stormtrooper will have to kill the Elite first as well as a shield Jackel before taking on the Grunts. And Stormtrooper are no better than a UNSC soldiers which killed billions of humans with a small fleet on Earth.

The Covenant enslave the inhabitants or else they won't have a Covenant
Ah we were talking about different things. You said Grunts could burn through Spartan Armour, I read that as a comparison between their respective lore not Trooper Vs Grunt.

Trooper Vs Grunt entirely depends on which lore you are working with. Film troopers are comedically ineffective, but they are better in other media.

And Grunts spook very easily whereas Troopers just push on.

Last edited:

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
A grunt on Easy has better aim than a storm trooper.

The Empire got dunked on by a bunch of small bears with rocks and logs. Imagine the Emperor slowly hobbling along Delta Halo. Would get obliterated by jackal snipers before how could even think of the word Force.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Replace stormtroopers with sniper jackels in any Star Wars movie and ask yourself how long that movie is gonna be now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well on the one hand, Vader single handedly is probably more dangerous than the covernent. But ignoring force users, Halo (especially CE) AI for its armies are actually dangerous. While Storm Troopers seem to get dumber each time (they are useless to annoying levels in Mandalorian especially). So the empire would get wiped out easy.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
A grunt on Easy has better aim than a storm trooper.

The Empire got dunked on by a bunch of small bears with rocks and logs. Imagine the Emperor slowly hobbling along Delta Halo. Would get obliterated by jackal snipers before how could even think of the word Force.
And the covenant got beat by me in my boxers

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Covenant don't even know how to use their own technology to its full extent, to say nothing of having no clue what tactics are.

The Covenant were at their most potent when humanity didn't know they existed, or that they were coming. Once they were in open war, they did serious damage, but humanity was able to fight them in open combat.

And that's Halo's humanity, which is not NEARLY as well equipped as the galactic empire.

Worth noting that the UNSC were losing mad hard right up until Halo 2

Last edited:

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It only takes two Hunters to toss a garrison of stormtroopers tbh.
Even then, Elites alone are stronger and have better equipment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would kind of love to watch a fight between a bunch of Stormtroopers and a bunch of Grunts.