• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if Avengers is anywhere above "okay", I will be surprised. Something is telling me that this game is going to be not that great.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
As long they don't fuck up the rumored/speculated Dragon Quest Collection (which I'm sure they will) they'll be fine in my opinion. But SE always fucks up whenever DQ is in play. I'm personally excited for Avengers and FF7R so it'll be nice to see them in action, preferably Avengers gameplay.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
That's kind of the thing. Warframe is one of those FFXIV-level success stories where it shouldn't have worked but they stuck with it and toughed it out and developed an INTENSELY loyal fanbase.

Most GAAS games nowadays don't do that. They rush for the money and try to make as much as possible right out of the gate and as soon as things start to turn sour they cut the rope and bail.

Most GAAS want MMO money without building the infrastructure and putting in the work. It's better now to spend the money on advertising, hype up the game, release it, and then make the money and bail like you said.

A GAAS to me at this point in time that isn't Destiny or Warframe or a sub based game like WoW or FFXIV literally just means "a game that will ask more than the purchase price and either shut down or fizzle out while keeping players hooked on loot treadmills, if that." You could argue that's Monster Hunter World, but there's a lot of things MH:W does right, and even the things it fumbles is the franchise trying to go into new directions and expand its audience, so I can't hate on it.

I honestly feel like most of the cynicism towards Square is centered entirely around people being unhappy with the direction of FF, which is understandable to an extent but I personally don't care that much, sure it's sad but I can take it or leave it since there are other IP's from Square that I care way more about.

Like it or not, like with Capcom and MH/RE/DMC/ETC, FF is a huge part of Square, and they've been fumbling that for a while now. Again, I'm glad people can like FFXV even though I detest the game, but a comeback really needs more than "here's some titles we produced but didn't develop."

Maybe I'm confused as to what Capcom's role is in the development process, but I thought their big IPs were all in house. So I assumed we'd need some new Deus Ex, some new FF, some new...whatever to get Square's brand back in the positive light.

I also think it has to do with Square sitting on a literal gold mine of Intellectual property and putting most of it into mobile gacha games, or just sleeping on them in general.

Final Fantasy isn't everything to Square, sure, but when SO MANY people know Square because of that flagship franchise it's really hard to not be cynical knowing they've barely been able to get their MAIN titles (FFXV, KH3, FF7:R) out the door let alone produce other new flagship titles that will be worth it. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Most GAAS want MMO money without building the infrastructure and putting in the work. It's better now to spend the money on advertising, hype up the game, release it, and then make the money and bail like you said.

A GAAS to me at this point in time that isn't Destiny or Warframe or a sub based game like WoW or FFXIV literally just means "a game that will ask more than the purchase price and either shut down or fizzle out while keeping players hooked on loot treadmills, if that." You could argue that's Monster Hunter World, but there's a lot of things MH:W does right, and even the things it fumbles is the franchise trying to go into new directions and expand its audience, so I can't hate on it.

Basically. It's just become shorthand for "take the money and run" game development.

They are going to finally release Tactics Ogre: Fat Bottomed Girls?

Don't forget about the paid DLC expansion, Tactics Ogre: Bicycle Race.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, I think they'll ride out the rest of this generation on kind of a shaky reputation, but I do think they'll come out swinging next generation from the lessons they learned this time.

For the record, I personally don't think they've done terrible but I also think they could do much better than what they offered. To me, it feels like they very clearly have some project management issues they need to sort out, and I think they'd be better off just utilizing middleware engines rather than trying to develop their own, but I think the release of Kingdom Hearts III (which itself was very long overdue) kinda inspires hope that they're learning, as I ended up kind of enjoying that game despite harboring a lot of doubt in it. I still don't think it wrapped up well story-wise, but gameplay-wise I thought it was way better than I had expected -- not the most exceptional game, but definitely good enough to kind of push past a lot of my personal and strongly-held doubts.

So yeah, I don't think E3 2019 is going to do them many favors... But I like to think that they might be going back to the drawing board on their development processes behind the scenes that may pay off for them in future projects.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
No, I think they'll ride out the rest of this generation on kind of a shaky reputation, but I do think they'll come out swinging from the lessons they learned this time.

For the record, I personally don't think they've done terrible but I also think they could do much better than what they offered. To me, it feels like they very clearly have some project management issues they need to sort out, and I think they'd be better off just utilizing middleware engines rather than trying to develop their own, but I think the release of Kingdom Hearts III (which itself was very long overdue) kinda inspires hope that they're learning, as I ended up kind of enjoying that game despite harboring a lot of doubt in it. I still don't think it wrapped up well story-wise, but gameplay-wise I thought it was way better than I had expected -- not the most exceptional game, but definitely good enough to kind of push past a lot of my personal and strongly-held doubts.

Yeah I'm not saying all they've put out is bottom tier crap lately, that goes to certain other RPG developer who can't get their shit together....

But again Capcom's story is kind of an exception. They put all their eggs into their engine (huh.kinda like Square tried to) and then went all in on gameplay first, and in my opinion that's why their games worked. They utilized their existing IPs in new and innovative ways without shitting on the people who liked them originally, and tried to advance them to match modern tastes. Kinda surprised at how much they've achieved to be honest.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hahaha I didn't even see who was the OP and I already knew who was.

Aside from that, SE never lost anything, even more on this gen. Nier Automata and Rise of Tomb Raider in 2017, Dragon Quest 11 and Octopath Traveler in 2018 and for now, Kingdom Hearts 3 in 2019. All great games.

Also, the takes here are laughable about SE, it's like people live in another world. lol Capcom wish that it was able to reach SE in quality of games AND revenue itself as Capcom with MHW with over 10 million wasn't able to reach SE at all with a big difference.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They release a lot of hugely popular games and many of them are very well received. Why would they need a "Capcom comeback" when they are already better than Capcom? I'm sure they will have stuff this year that makes people excited, but this isn't a "clean up image" strategy, just them showing the games they have.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
As long they don't fuck up the rumored/speculated Dragon Quest Collection (which I'm sure they will) they'll be fine in my opinion. But SE always fucks up whenever DQ is in play. I'm personally excited for Avengers and FF7R so it'll be nice to see them in action, preferably Avengers gameplay.

What Dragon Quest Collection?

I thought news for Dragon Quest would be for a mobile phone release.

ImNotAFroot

Nov 6, 2017
Won't happen until they actually release a game that lives up to their legacy, which judging by their current schedule and announcements, won't happen in the next couple of years.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
SE still shows no sign of coming back at all, they take forever to makes games internally and they have terrible management of the FF brand.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think they've slowly been 'coming back' for years now, ever since they finally got XV out of the door. They're poised to have a ludicrous next few years though, yeah.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't have that much faith in Square Enix. They aren't as well oiled a machine as they used to be.

I laugh remebering the merger of Square and Enix, and how when Square games started to suck, plebs immediately started to blame Enix for that. All these years later, the Enix side is the only one that's pretty much turning out consistently good content.

Last edited:

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
What Dragon Quest Collection?

I thought news for Dragon Quest would be for a mobile phone release.
I've seen posters speculating a DQ collection of 1-6 on modern consoles. There was a rumor earlier that SE would release past DQ games this year to market the series more. DasVergeben I think gave this to Nintendo Soup earlier in the year. https:///rumor-more-dragon-quest-titles-could-be-ported-to-nintendo-switch-this-year/

I honestly doubt any of this is true because it's SE and DQ in the west. It's easy for them to fuck up DQ.

GalmLikePalm

Nov 29, 2017
One of their flagship titles is a remake of a game that won't be fully out until minimum 2023 or 2024. And everything we've seen of the game has looked uninteresting/average. Regardless of whether or not they think its a comeback, it wont be.

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
I'm just excited to see more of Babylon's Fall and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

EDIT: Oh and Avengers too!

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Break and a new Deus Ex. Those are my demands.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
They're going to have to do a lot more than the usual spin-offs and mobile game nonsense for me to blink twice. Right now all I'm hoping from SE is to finally see their Tifa render for the FF7 remake and for it to not be straight trash. Everything else they're up to doesn't interest and hasn't interested for a very long time.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think they've long forgotten what made their games great. They haven't been relevant for me since the early PS2 era. Since Sakaguchi left.

I saw the FF7:R trailer and I wasn't excited the same way I was with the DMCV and RE2 trailers. Action-RPG combat instead of ATB. Being split into multiple releases. When I saw the RE2 trailer I was sold immediately. I'm not feeling the same with with FF7:R.

I don't have the faith in square-enix that I did decades ago. I just assume they'll disappoint me now.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Port Theathrhythm All Star Carnival to switch and I'll agree!

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Depends are they giving us a Xenogears remake or perhaps Parasite Eve???

I'd love for them to release a bunch of awesome games but I don't see happening anytime soon.

Also I'd extremely enjoy if I was wrong.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen posters speculating a DQ collection of 1-6 on modern consoles. There was a rumor earlier that SE would release past DQ games this year to market the series more. DasVergeben I think gave this to Nintendo Soup earlier in the year. https:///rumor-more-dragon-quest-titles-could-be-ported-to-nintendo-switch-this-year/

I honestly doubt any of this is true because it's SE and DQ in the west. It's easy for them to fuck up DQ.

Gladly, DQ market is Japan and not the west so they don't really fuck up anything for the franchise itself. lol

RoTR and Shadow of the Tomb Raider both had a sharp lessening on sales compared to the 2013's nu-nu-reboot title.

They are certainly losing or missing something in the handling of the Tomb Raider franchise, so a "comeback" of some sort is due for the series.

I can agree with Shadow. Rise was the best of the reboot though.

Square isn't having any kind of comeback until they learn how to manage dev cycles

Ah, the dev cycles in which the majority of the releases in the market don't have such problems. lol

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
1) Remaster the original Nier and put it on PC
2) Make a new Deus Ex Game.
3) Give me a teaser for a Legacy of Kain title. I'll settle for Simon Templeman saying one sentence and then a logo. Even if it's not out until 2023, I'll still be happy knowing it exists.

THEN I'll care about Squeeenix.

I mean, Babylon's Fall is intriguing, and they've got People Can Fly making a shooter for them and those guys have a solid record (Painkiller, Bulletstorm, and the new Shadow Warriors), so that's something to look forward to.

I'm wary about Avengers, because of the GAAS rumours. And I have no emotional attachment to Final Fantasy, so the FF7 Remake elicits some curiosity, but no hype from me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just excited to see more of Babylon's Fall and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

EDIT: Oh and Avengers too!

I wouldn't be surprised if Babylon's Fall got quietly cancelled, honestly. The fact that it hasn't even been mentioned by Square OR Platinum in a damn year is...not a good sign.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on it already. The game's 10th anniversary is next year.
Yeah, I'm hoping.

I'm expecting them to announce that the Last Remnant remaster they released last December on PS4 is now coming to Xbox and PC. It feels like a typical Squeenix move.

I'd also be interested in a remaster of Vagrant's Story, since I hear loads of praise about that.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Babylon's Fall got quietly cancelled, honestly. The fact that it hasn't even been mentioned by Square OR Platinum in a damn year is...not a good sign.

We haven't seen anything of Bayo 3 and that game was announced before DMC5 was revealed.

That's just how Platinum does things I guess.

I think they've long forgotten what made their games great. They haven't been relevant for me since the early PS2 era. Since Sakaguchi left.

I saw the FF7:R trailer and I wasn't excited the same way I was with the DMCV and RE2 trailers. Action-RPG combat instead of ATB. Being split into multiple releases. When I saw the RE2 trailer I was sold immediately. I'm not feeling the same with with FF7:R.

I don't have the faith in square-enix that I did decades ago. I just assume they'll disappoint me now.

I mean to be fair FF7 is a much larger game than RE2 and it wasn't like RE2 didn't make any modernized changes that got people upset at the reveal either

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017

Is that a reliable source?

Kinda difficult for me to believe DQ games would get a collection this huge.