• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I have seen quite a lot of people want a persona game in college. In regards to 5, based on the designs of most of the cast and mannerisms how they were written (i.e absent parental figures, seem kind of independent), and P5 Scramble has Haru and Makoto now in college, I could see this game working in college and it'd remove this games unfortunate aspects. The only block is the idea of corrupt adults/authority figures, but could still work in a college setting somehow with some tweaking?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty easily. I think the series would make more sense to do with the characters at a University age anyways.

I don't think most consider university students to be full grown adults so that can be hand waved.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe if they swapped "shitty adults" with a different term. They would be adults by that point.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
For Persona in general, yes. There'd be some challenges/changes for 5 to work but I think you could pull it off.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 was an anime power fantasy game for teenagers so, presumably, the main market for the game wanted teenage protagonists.

(It'd be nice if they cut out the part about obviously adult women dating a 16 year old though)

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The character romances, especially with the MC, would have worked far better with an older, college-aged student.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
No. Joker's backstory would have to be different. He wouldn't need a guardian for starters.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at Catherine, which is basically an adult version of Persona in all but RPG mechanics, why not? The choices regarding the setting in Persona are there to appeal to the the largest gaming group (teens and young adults) and drive sales.

It will work for the last year of college setting, where students are under pressure to land good jobs or look to others with envy. You can then easily fill villain roles with the jealous classmates, professor who desperately need funding, etc cliches.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
JRPG and anime/manga writers salivate at the idea of getting parents out of the picture, and college would definitely offer a better excuse than "parents working abroad paying rent for their kid to live alone in Japan" or whatever other contrived bullshit they resort to

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't see why it couldn't. Are school clubs a thing in Japanese college?
Yes. I was in a bunch while I lived there.

A college Persona would work just fine.

Also, you aren't considered an adult in Japan until you are 20; most people live with their families well into College, so needing a guardian wouldn't be a problem.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Life is already over by the time you're in college. How many college students get to Wake Up in Another World?

Not many. Kids are a much better choice because everything that matters happens to high schoolers. If you're older than that, you're probably the villain-kun, sorry bruh.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played 5. If it's close in themes/friendships like P4, then no. Hell no.

If it's closer to P3, yea. That game felt like they were already in college with the dorm, everyone felt sort of distant but with a strong camaraderie.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Persona wouldn't work with college age characters. The rigid structure and repetitive nature of high school life are fundamental parts of the Persona games. Move the setting to college and you have varying schedules for all the characters with no justifiable reasons for them to spend time together, nobody caring when the main character transfers in and really no reason for them to ever attend classes. Also you would have to deal with college age vices.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Even if the plot could work I'm not sure what people are hoping to achieve. Persona is never leaving high school. People love to jerk off Persona 2 Eternal Punishment but that was the second half of Persona 2 and the first half took place with a majority high school cast.
Japanese writers just can't look past the toxic "high school is the best part of your life" trope.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
It would have been a lot better because the teacher romance wouldn't count as statutory rape.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think a persona game in a corporate office environment could be kind of cool! Definitely hope the next one moves from high school though

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing keeping this game from getting even better than it is. An older cast would've been a lot more relatable if they did it right.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You fool!
How could Persona ever work without the statutory rape?

But seriously, I have been asking for an older cast for ages.
It dramatically expands the stories you could tell.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
The series in general sure why not.
Just persona 5 i dunno. I feel like you would have to rework certain parts. like the first arc wouldn't make as much sense if it wasnt based around a high school.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Having just played Royale, yes easily. That goes for 3 & 4 as well. You would of course have to change some things but nothing to the point hat would make for a vastly different game. While the characters have some "school life" struggles, they're practically adults in all but age in so many of these games that it's kinda odd they still want to push that as the only setting Especially when the series has taken steps to older characters before already.

I think a big thing a lot of people miss is that in this day and age, so many people still don't know their place in society and who they are even when they're out of high school. I'm sure a lot of people here are 20+ and still unsure where their life is headed or what it's even all for.

The whole growing up and finding your place just isn't something only high schoolers go through.

Royale Spoilers
One of the most interesting aspects of Royale's new content is exactly that with Maruki and seeing how he took everything that happened to him and how he applied it to his ideals. Showing that there's more than just "those every adults" going on.

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It fundamentally wouldn't have worked, because the instigating incident of the plot, where the MC is framed for assault by the Big Bad, would've led to him being tried as an adult and sent immediately to prison. The entire reason why he gets sent off to Tokyo on probation is because he's a minor and thus gets one last chance before the system cracks down on him.
And the themes of the game center around adults in positions of power abusing those positions on the most vulnerable people around them. Which means that there's another layer to it when the main cast are all minors, and thus in a much more vulnerable position than they would've been as adults. They have much fewer rights, and are inherently disbelieved simply because of their age.

All that being said, the romance options with adults are gross and should never have been added, for a similar reason. The inherent power imbalance in the relationships is extremely problematic at best, and they also undermine the themes of adults abusing their power over others.

Last edited:

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
An unemployed troublemaker in his early twenties has committed crime, and needs to do community work in Tokyo in order to avoid jail. While working as a janitor in a faculty, he meets another troublemaker who gets great grades but still a troublemaker, and the most popular girl in the faculty as well, they all try to change the academic dean's heart.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yes. I was in a bunch while I lived there.

A college Persona would work just fine.

Also, you aren't considered an adult in Japan until you are 20; most people live with their families well into College, so needing a guardian wouldn't be a problem.
I hear they are lowering the age to 18 and 18 is kinda treated like an adult
The series in general sure why not.
Just persona 5 i dunno. I feel like you would have to rework certain parts. like the first arc wouldn't make as much sense if it wasnt based around a high school.
Actually Kamoshida was based on a university coach who also abused his students

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I hear they are lowering the age to 18 and 18 is kinda treated like an adult
Legally, yes. This doesn't really change that many people still live with their parents until late in college, if not until graduation. I am not sure if this policy has actually come into effect yet, though.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
From what I understand, Japanese college life is stereotyped as being a four-year period where you can do fuckall or do some self-discovery. I don't know if this is actually true or not, but if that's the case, they'll have to find a way to fill the high school days with something just as consistent, unless they do a lot of timeskips. It would be interesting, though.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Having just played Royale, yes easily. That goes for 3 & 4 as well. You would of course have to change some things but nothing to the point hat would make for a vastly different game. While the characters have some "school life" struggles, they're practically adults in all but age in so many of these games that it's kinda odd they still want to push that as the only setting Especially when the series has taken steps to older characters before already.

I think a big thing a lot of people miss is that in this day and age, so many people still don't know their place in society and who they are even when they're out of high school. I'm sure a lot of people here are 20+ and still unsure where their life is headed or what it's even all for.

The whole growing up and finding your place just isn't something only high schoolers go through.

Royale Spoilers
One of the most interesting aspects of Royale's new content is exactly that with Maruki and seeing how he took everything that happened to him and how he applied it to his ideals. Showing that there's more than just "those every adults" going on.

What do you mean by all in but age?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
This is what the next Persona should be.

Anybody here read/watched Grand Blue?

Grand-Blue-01-11.jpg

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Persona in general: yes.

Specifically 5: it would need significant changes thematically that it would become something else completely.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely...

And then the teacher thing wouldn't have been so extremely off-putting and disgusting. It still would of had an element of gross, but if she's grown and he's grown, like 21...then it wouldn't be so bad.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If Joker was an adult he would have gone to prison I assume.

And a lot of the Phantom Thieves problems would also go away if they were legal adults.

I think there's a Persona game to be made with college age students but the specifics of Persona 5's plot don't work unless they're in high school.

And the themes of the game center around adults in positions of power abusing those positions on the most vulnerable people around them. Which means that there's another layer to it when the main cast are all minors, and thus in a much more vulnerable position than they would've been as adults. They have much fewer rights, and are inherently disbelieved simply because of their age.

I guess if they were adults you could recast some of their problems through difference lenses; ethnicity, class, gender, disability, but I think you're right the main cast all being minors makes all their problems irreconcilable through legal avenues. If you take that away it wouldn't really be the same game anymore.

Last edited:

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Joker's introduction requires some minor changes otherwise Persona 5 works fine with any age group. They all could as well be seniors living in a retirement home. There is not a single character's story that can't be tweaked to fit a 70yo.

Oct 25, 2017
Culturally in Japan, High School is considered the "best moment in life". As soon as you enter College, "it's over". This is why we often see stories taking place in High School setting. People want to re-visit (and re-experience) the good moments of their high school life.

So, even if Persona 5 would have worked in a College setting (I personally don't think it would), they will never do it in a Persona game unless the franchise gets way more western fans. (i.e. Persona 6 will, without a doubt, take place in high school again.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a spin-off or new IP though (like Catherine).

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
A new Persona in a college/university setting would be pretty much my dream RPG.
In my head, it's a Persona X Community crossover.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The idea that Japan's view on college is what's stopping them is incredibly depressing when you know, they could address those issues in a Persona game. P5 would have easily have benefited from it to get rid of the "teenagers vs adults" angle that persists through it (I know that isn't the main idea of the game but it certainly comes off as it at parts).

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
That specific story i don't think so. There's a lot of of "teenager vs adults" stuff that doesn't translate super well into a college setting.

The concept of a persona is easily applicable on a college setting though.

The idea that Japan's view on college is what's stopping them is incredibly depressing when you know, they could address those issues in a Persona game. P5 would have easily have benefited from it to get rid of the "teenagers vs adults" angle that persists through it (I know that isn't the main idea of the game but it certainly comes off as it at parts).

Imo that's more a target demographic choice rather than anything else. There's plenty of stories about college life. They just tend to not be battle shonens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
If Joker was an adult he would have gone to prison I assume.

And a lot of the Phantom Thieves problems would also go away if they were legal adults.

I think there's a Persona game to be made with college age students but the specifics of Persona 5's plot don't work unless they're in high school.

I guess if they were adults you could recast some of their problems through difference lenses; ethnicity, class, gender, disability, but I think you're right the main cast all being minors makes all their problems irreconcilable through legal avenues. If you take that away it wouldn't really be the same game anymore.
Issue like what would go away? IIR Haru and Makoto are 18 in the game and scramble has them in college

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it would have made the "adults abusing power and that's wrong!" themes sound even stupider than they already did

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It very much could.

P2 has reporter, detective, a hacker, a model, and a successor of big company.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't think so honestly because the characters being kids is what makes the initial pitch and the best part of the game (the first palace) work. Same goes for P4 with the whole "dumbass kids in way over their head" angle. P3 however I think would have benefited a lot from the characters being aged up.