• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well, it's not unreasonable until you start talking about what spoilers are and when it becomes okay to talk about. I didn't see the thread title in question, but apparently it involved publicly known news about someone being in the movie and a mention that there's a twist. For most people, that's not a spoiler. "Edelgard deserved better" is also not a spoiler. Similarly, people here genuinely being like "I'm going to watch X show/movie months/years after release so no one can talk about it until then" like... Spoilers: Darth Vader is Luke's father, sorry, y'all.

No one is saying people should be putting THE BUTLER DID IT in thread titles immediately after release. Just that if you're the outlier in what you consider spoilers, perhaps that's on you to navigate your life rather than on everyone else. FWIW, I can't recall seeing any egregious spoilers in thread titles on era.

It's not about breaking down what is and isn't a spoiler, and trying to navigate that minutiae though. You don't have to handwring trying to figure out what a spoiler is for others.

The point is that it's not hard to come up with a thread title that indicates conversation in the thread is going to contain spoilers.

I haven't created any threads on Era yet, but in the past, before I create threads, I ask myself, "does this thread title need to be that specific?"

"Let's talk about Vader being Luke's father in The Empire Strikes Back"

compared to

"SPOILERS: Discussion about the big moment in The Empire Strikes Back."

or

"SPOILERS: Foreshadowing in The Usual Suspects (Kizer Soze talk)"

Personally, I don't care if it's a new or old piece of entertainment. I don't live in a bubble, and there are a lot of people that haven't been exposed to every piece of entertainment out there. It's not some big mental contortion I have to do to keep spoilers out of a thread title. All a thread title needs is the subject and purpose. Any extraneous details can be saved for the actual OP in the thread itself.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I agree, thread titles shouldn't have spoilers in them. It shouldn't matter if the thing in question has been out a week or is 20 years old. For example, younger people catching up on old movies or books don't want them spoiled before seeing them.

May 9, 2018
I agree, thread titles shouldn't have spoilers in them. It shouldn't matter if the thing in question has been out a week or is 20 years old. For example, younger people catching up on old movies or books don't want them spoiled before seeing them.
So a thread title saying Darth Vader is Luke's father shouldn't be allowed?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This just seems like a weird forum to be at if this is an issue for you. It and its previous incarnation were known for a lot of quick breaking news and leaks. Off topic I get more being annoyed with but to me, the freaking out about the Terminator thing spoiled more for me than the actual title. I just figured it was something like "John is in it" because I heard Edward Furlong might be back. After all, this is a series that has done lots of weird shit with John, like making him a terminator. The hubbub in this thread and others made me think "Oh, I get it now."

machine

Oct 25, 2017
...and again today we get someone upset because an unlockable bonus in a game was mentioned in a thread title. I can sort of understand not wanting plot points in a narrative spoiled but much like character reveals in a fighting game, this seems a little over the top.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think all anyone can reasonably ask for is two to three weeks without spoilers in thread titles.

Even saying something like "Can we talk about the twist in..." is shitty.

I went to see Terminator within a week of its release and already knew that's something happened to a particular character at a specific point in the movie. I'm being vague so as to follow my own advice about spoilers. But there were things here they completely changed how I enjoyed the movie because I knew to expect something.

Why is it so hard to just have conversations about a movie in the thread for that movie?

You're not so important that your particular commentary about a specific part of a movie requires its own thread.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I agree op, though I think talking spoilers inside general threads around a subject (Smash, AEW etc) is fine and to be expected.

thread titles though? that's not cricket imo.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
So a thread title saying Darth Vader is Luke's father shouldn't be allowed?
Personally I don't think it should be, no. Just because a lot of people already know that fact doesn't mean that everybody does, or that people want a movie series they're interested in watching being spoiled before seeing it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
It's not about breaking down what is and isn't a spoiler, and trying to navigate that minutiae though. You don't have to handwring trying to figure out what a spoiler is for others.

The point is that it's not hard to come up with a thread title that indicates conversation in the thread is going to contain spoilers.

I haven't created any threads on Era yet, but in the past, before I create threads, I ask myself, "does this thread title need to be that specific?"

compared to

or

Personally, I don't care if it's a new or old piece of entertainment. I don't live in a bubble, and there are a lot of people that haven't been exposed to every piece of entertainment out there. It's not some big mental contortion I have to do to keep spoilers out of a thread title. All a thread title needs is the subject and purpose. Any extraneous details can be saved for the actual OP in the thread itself.

Great. Now I know there's a big moment in empire strikes back.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite spoilerphobic outrage was all the folks pissed off that they found out the hook shot wasn't in Breath of the Wild and considered that a spoiler.

A gameplay mechanic not being in a game is not a spoiler! It's preposterous! People treat their first experience of a game or movie as a sacrosanct thing that people must tiptoe around and the definitions of what a spoiler is get looser and looser as time goes on.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Can people on the internet contort to my weird philosophy on not knowing about anything that might spoil something?"

Spoiler phobia continues to be one of the most comical reactions on the internet.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019

compared to

or

It kind of IS trying to navigate that minutiae though. I promise you if you made a thread with either of your proposed titles (not for the actual examples but for newly released stuff), you would get people saying that's a spoiler. They're exactly on the same level as "Edelgard deserved better". The examples being brought up in this thread aren't hypothetical. I mean, maybe some of it is trolling rather than genuine spoilerphobia, I can't tell, but those reactions exist on this forum.

Like, look, on a personal level, I do try to be mindful of spoilers when talking to others -- I tend not to care, but others do, so whatever, I can keep specifics out. But it's disingenuous to pretend that it's as simple as "just be considerate!" when some people think the weirdest shit counts as spoilers.