• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Really
www.universityofcalifornia.edu

Spoiler alert: spoilers make you enjoy stories more

Did someone spoil the next episode of "Game of Thrones"? They might have done you a favor.

You only have to look at the threads mentioned here to see how miserable the spoilerphobes come off as, constantly having to walk on eggshells and writing off enjoyment of entire movies just because they caught a glimpse of some prerelease marketing
When are people gonna stop posting this bullshit study? Not only it was contradicted by another study ran by the same people some time later, but the context is completely different than what people usually mean by a spoiler. Having the ending of a short story you don't give a shit about told in advance, and having the ending of a piece of media you've been looking forward to for a while, sometimes years or even decades, spoiled, aren't remotely the same thing.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spoilerphobes are a cult of complete lunatics. Some take it to such extremes that I think they're probably clinically insane.
Or maybe, and here me out here, there are perfectly normal people with a small reasonable request that get overshadowed by the louder crazier people just like literally every other group of people (Ie Vegans, Christmas fans)

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
The anger and hostility seems to actually come from people saying "get over it, nerd"

I've noticed that when people ask to stop casually spoiling things, they always ask politely, and are met with FUCK YOU get off the internet.

I'm with you OP.
This is a good point judging by some of the responses in this thread.
At least it seems like there are a lot who feels like i do about this subject. So that's something at least.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The Terminator thread title was fine. It didn't spoil anything. If knowing something that vague affects your enjoyment of media, you need to be watching that media ASAP or getting off the internet until you do. That simple. No sympathy.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
People are allowed to have conversations lol
The thing i mentioned arent conversations. Its people that know stuff and "dont want to spoil" and still are going out of their way to dropping hints because need to tell people that they know stuff they dont.

Non-Spoiler Death Stranding or Star Wars threads for example has a couple of people like that for example.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'll never stop laughing at people who claimed that early leaks about nintendo directs, which are glorified commercials, count as spoilers

Sounds like you're quoting someone else's opinion there with that "glorified commercial" comment. Give me a break. You're telling me that a gaming community is going to act like people don't enjoy getting together, theorizing about reveals, and then reacting to them when officially realized under more exciting circumstances like this "glorified commercial" you speak of; instead of unceremoniously through a banal tweet?

Is that truly a laughable concept, or are you just choosing to laugh at people that don't agree with your sentiments?

The internet, social media, leaks and spoilers have undoubtedly ruined the element of surprise, magic and charm that would otherwise be present in a lot of games and game reveals.

Last edited:

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
I think this is a fair request and generally the norm, there have been a couple of lame ones recently though you're right.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you complaining about the Terminator spoiler you do understand that it was the title of the article right? Blame the writer or editor not the poster.
And you do realize that this isn't Reddit, right? This isn't a board about posting a link to an article with no other content. So we choose what we want the topic to be, and can choose not to post spoilers in threads even if the article title directly references the spoiler.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Please don't put spoilers in thread titles"
"You spoilerphobics are all crazy and outraged!"

Alright...

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe, and here me out here, there are perfectly normal people with a small reasonable request that get overshadowed by the louder crazier people just like literally every other group of people (Ie Vegans, Christmas fans)
It's not reasonable to expect people to walk on eggshells just to satiate you.

Something like "Terry Bogard revealed for Smash" isn't a spoiler. It's literally news.

Should we spoiler tag what's going on with the impeachment hearings too or?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Something like "Terry Bogard revealed for Smash" isn't a spoiler. It's literally news.

Should we spoiler tag what's going on with the impeachment hearings too or?
The OP's example was a major plot point in a movie that hasn't even been in theaters in the US for a week.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of hostility from people who "don't care" about spoilers always surprises me.

A lot of people in this thread not even reading the OP 😂

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Tbh I don't know what's a spoiler anymore. We get trailers for movie and games that people say spoil too much which I don't get at all. Hell, telling you someone isn't in a movie might cause a good amount of people to kill you for spoiling it.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
How can we both have..

1. Rules on spoilers within a thread.
2. No rules on spoilers on a thread title?
I guess there are no rules, just specific thread rules? I dunno it's hard to keep up.

I don't get spoiled by news outlets etc because I don't read them, the only place I really get spoiled on stuff is here.
It's pretty easy to avoid otherwise, but I don't know why it's difficult for some people to write a title like "X character revealed, or lets talk about plot in xyz".

People who don't understand people want to be surprised are, well, I have no nice words for people who don't understand not everyone is like them.
I guess it's the same as review threads, or general threads about people liking/hating a game/movie. Some people are too basic to understand the mindset of anything except their own universe, these are the people you will find being hostile in responses. "Turn off the internet" "Who cares?" etc.

I don't know what that person's default is hostility instead of understanding and empathy.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Learn to stop caring about being spoiled and you'll be a lot happier.
Learn to stop caring about the things you care about. Stupid!

I don't even watch trailers now so I don't expect to have things ruined specifically when I'm going out of my way to avoid it. Staying off the internet is not possible and don't even bother suggesting it. If you're that hungus to get your thoughts out there maybe get some real friends and discuss with them otherwise be considerate on the internet please.

Should be a bannable offence.

Oct 28, 2017
How can we both have..

1. Rules on spoilers within a thread.
2. No rules on spoilers on a thread title?
I guess there are no rules, just specific thread rules? I dunno it's hard to keep up.

I don't get spoiled by news outlets etc because I don't read them, the only place I really get spoiled on stuff is here.
It's pretty easy to avoid otherwise, but I don't know why it's difficult for some people to write a title like "X character revealed, or lets talk about plot in xyz".

People who don't understand people want to be surprised are, well, I have no nice words for people who don't understand not everyone is like them.
I guess it's the same as review threads, or general threads about people liking/hating a game/movie. Some people are too basic to understand the mindset of anything except their own universe, these are the people you will find being hostile in responses. "Turn off the internet" "Who cares?" etc.

I don't know what that person's default is hostility instead of understanding and empathy.

Whoever said they were sounding "very Republican" was hilarious but also deceptively apt.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I only care about spoilers for E3 or announcements because the announcement is the whole experience. Spoilers in games is just something I don't give a shit about because the experience is more about playing the game rather than some event/thing in said game.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Learn to stop caring about the things you care about. Stupid!

I don't even watch trailers now so I don't expect to have things ruined specifically when I'm going out of my way to avoid it. Staying off the internet is not possible and don't even bother suggesting it. If you're that hungus to get your thoughts out there maybe get some real friends and discuss with them otherwise be considerate on the internet please.

Should be a bannable offence.

I'm not telling people to stop enjoying the things they like. Just stop getting worked up thinking that hearing that a character dies in the 4th season is worth getting upset over. You're all attacking me as if I came in here and specifically spoiled something for each and every one of you and all I'm saying is to chill out a little.

How do you people ever re-watch stuff knowing how it will all go down?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Tbh I don't know what's a spoiler anymore. We get trailers for movie and games that people say spoil too much which I don't get at all. Hell, telling you someone isn't in a movie might cause a good amount of people to kill you for spoiling it.

I got called out in this thread because I said Edward Furlong was in Terminator, something that got announced to the public months ago. It was no longer a fucking spoiler, and the thread title in question mentioned there was a twist.

This entire thread is because the title said there was a twist.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Really
www.universityofcalifornia.edu

Spoiler alert: spoilers make you enjoy stories more

Did someone spoil the next episode of "Game of Thrones"? They might have done you a favor.

You only have to look at the threads mentioned here to see how miserable the spoilerphobes come off as, constantly having to walk on eggshells and writing off enjoyment of entire movies just because they caught a glimpse of some prerelease marketing
People need to stop posting this fucking study as if it invalidates individual preferences. Utter nonsense, the way they smugly congratulate themselves for knowing what's best for everyone.

Some of us like to experience stories in chronological order, where events unfold organically and there's enjoyment in the moment, without constant reference to some dumb spoiler somebody dropped on you.

It's actually not hard at all to avoid being an inconsiderate jerk. Simply don't run your mouth while feigning incomprehension about which wink-wink hints or specific details might be construed as spoilers. Nobody who is "shocked" that referencing a character or twist could be considered a spoiler is actually surprised. It's passive-aggression meant to irritate and ridicule so-called spoilerphobes who dare to prefer stories in their intended sequence, untroubled by preconceptions.

Last edited:

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Knowing a character is in a fighting game isn't a spoiler is it? It's just the roster. Or do you play smash for the story now?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It doesn't seem unreasonable to request that people refrain from putting spoiler details in thread titles. Like, it really isn't that hard to title your thread something like, "X movie/tvshow/video game discussion (Spoilers)."

I'm not overly sensitive to spoilers, but sometimes I like to not know too much about a piece of entertainment I'm interested in, so I actively try to avoid spoilers. It's easy to avoid a thread that is labeled as a Spoiler thread. It's impossible to avoid a spoiler heavy thread title. It's not about walking on eggshells or tiptoeing around the spoilerphobes.

Honestly, the way some people are dismissing the simple request from those that aren't keen on spoilers comes off as super assholish. It doesn't hurt anybody to exercise a little bit of consideration for your fellow Era-members. The contents of your fist post can be full of all of the spoilers your heart can handle, but the thread title itself should be a little more considerate.

And this coming from someone who actively sought out spoilers for GoT, Harry Potter (books), and Star Wars. I'd never want to intentionally ruin another person's enjoyment of something we're all passionate about. Not everyone is able to watch/play every movie/show/game that releases when it releases. I know I don't have nearly enough time in my life to be on top of the flood of content released on a regular basis.

There's a lot of selfishness I'm seeing in this thread. And an amazing lack of empathy. How such a simple request can be met with such hostility and aggression is pretty crazy to me.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not telling people to stop enjoying the things they like. Just stop getting worked up thinking that hearing that a character dies in the 4th season is worth getting upset over. You're all attacking me as if I came in here and specifically spoiled something for each and every one of you and all I'm saying is to chill out a little.

How do you people ever re-watch stuff knowing how it will all go down?
The point is some people go to great lengths to experience content in the manner that they enjoy it most be it at home on the couch, at a noisy movie theatre, running in the backgroud while working, reading the whole plot upfront or experiencing it in the order the artist intended aka watching a movie, crazy yea? I have personally invested a lot on a home theatre so that I can watch the stuff I enjoy in the environment I like but unfortunately that means waiting for months after a movie has come out in cinemas for a 4K UHD release, I cannot during these months avoid using Youtube or ResetEra, it's just not possible as these are my only forms of social media I enjoy and use on a daily basis. We all know how these websites work, you see something you like you click on it, usually this means reading a thread/video title or looking at a thumbnail. The issue here is that spoilers are being posted in thread/video titles and in thumbnails which is quite literally unavoidable, it's fucking stupid and can only be the work of a self centered idiot. I literally go on a media blackout for any games or movies I plan to watch so I'm doing my part, what I can't do is live in a hole for a few months cuz some blabbermouth just blew their load after watching Terminator X cuz it changed his life and now has to tell erryone (seriously no one gives a shit).

At the end of the day it's not hard to create a generic topic title e.g. "My thoughts on X movie" as this way people actually have a chance to avoid it but instead we are literally being told to "get over it", "stop liking things" or "don't do internet".

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

They're talking about leaks though. So yeah it makes sense to title the thread "DLC Character #4 has leaked". That way people who want to know now can look and people who don't can move on.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
I find the agressive lack of empathy from some people odd. On the other hand I did expect as much when writing up the thread. Try to put yourself in someone elses shoes. If this was about something you cared about and you got those responses, would you really find them appropriate ?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
spoiler don't affect me at all. the basic plot is only a very small part of what i enjoy about a movie.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the last part is what gets me. i always have to imagine that these people just watch movies for their surface level stories and never actually think about them or what the director was trying to achieve. if you actually care then you really can't be spoilered by a simple sentence or even a trailer that lays out the basic plot.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
It doesn't seem unreasonable to request that people refrain from putting spoiler details in thread titles. Like, it really isn't that hard to title your thread something like, "X movie/tvshow/video game discussion (Spoilers)."

I'm not overly sensitive to spoilers, but sometimes I like to not know too much about a piece of entertainment I'm interested in, so I actively try to avoid spoilers. It's easy to avoid a thread that is labeled as a Spoiler thread. It's impossible to avoid a spoiler heavy thread title. It's not about walking on eggshells or tiptoeing around the spoilerphobes.

Honestly, the way some people are dismissing the simple request from those that aren't keen on spoilers comes off as super assholish. It doesn't hurt anybody to exercise a little bit of consideration for your fellow Era-members. The contents of your fist post can be full of all of the spoilers your heart can handle, but the thread title itself should be a little more considerate.

And this coming from someone who actively sought out spoilers for GoT, Harry Potter (books), and Star Wars. I'd never want to intentionally ruin another person's enjoyment of something we're all passionate about. Not everyone is able to watch/play every movie/show/game that releases when it releases. I know I don't have nearly enough time in my life to be on top of the flood of content released on a regular basis.

There's a lot of selfishness I'm seeing in this thread. And an amazing lack of empathy. How such a simple request can be met with such hostility and aggression is pretty crazy to me.

Well, it's not unreasonable until you start talking about what spoilers are and when it becomes okay to talk about. I didn't see the thread title in question, but apparently it involved publicly known news about someone being in the movie and a mention that there's a twist. For most people, that's not a spoiler. "Edelgard deserved better" is also not a spoiler. Similarly, people here genuinely being like "I'm going to watch X show/movie months/years after release so no one can talk about it until then" like... Spoilers: Darth Vader is Luke's father, sorry, y'all.

No one is saying people should be putting THE BUTLER DID IT in thread titles immediately after release. Just that if you're the outlier in what you consider spoilers, perhaps that's on you to navigate your life rather than on everyone else. FWIW, I can't recall seeing any egregious spoilers in thread titles on era.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I find the agressive lack of empathy from some people odd. On the other hand I did expect as much when writing up the thread. Try to put yourself in someone elses shoes. If this was about something you cared about and you got those responses, would you really find them appropriate ?
the stuff i care about isn't nearly as important to me as spoiler warnings are to some people on this site