• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is taken from the recent Documentary on DMC5 and RE2makes development.
(Time Stamp Included - Thanks to Blackbird for the materials/content)

gta_1.png

gta_2.png

In the video (where marked) Kadoi bring up his "dream" project, which would be a "Japanese Style GTA". During the short discussion they mention different ideas and Kadoi remarks that it could also take place in the Sengoku Era (The same period both Onimusha and Sengoku Basara is set). The conversation gets dead quiet and shifts to something else.

While this obviously isn't confirmation for anything, it's a very interesting note to leave this conversation on. Earlier in the year I made a thread on "How should Onimusha come back" and the resounding answer was "I dunno" accompanied with a shrug. The IP as a whole was typically focused on Action Combat, however it never received the same acclaim and fanbase fervor something like DMC was able to muster. So the idea of capcom bringing back a Fan Favorite (Which Capcom has said numerous times is their main goal currently) in a new style to help the IP stand out is an interesting prospect.

A lot of Capcom titles are in a unique position to be brought back for fans while also appealing to new demographics. You'd effectively have the leverage of a new IP gameplay wise while having the safety of the legacy brand. This also fits with how Capcom has teased/hinted at numerous new projects in the past. One such example being the drop on "Wanting to make a horror experience for VR" and a lot of people not thinking it would be related to RE.

The thought of a open-world Onimusha with some ideas of GTA's Freedom within it sounds like a concept worth exploring and would be something note entirely similar to other things on the market. As a whole, an Open World title is something Capcom lacks currently, particularly one not tied to RPG mechanics. Said concept could also be radically different from what we're thinking or was even hinted at here (This video was shot last year).

Also since I know it'll be brought up, Ghost of Tsushima is NOT set during the Sengoku Period. There's about a 350-400 gap between the era's Onimusha and Ghost take place in.

So what do you think, could a Open-World Onimusha work and be a good way to re-establish the IP? Or would it be too far removed from the series to actually be something the franchise could tackle?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
1lP6ehH.gif

Would be cool if the idea is that the open world is set in both periods

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you think, could a Open-World Onimusha work and be a good way to re-establish the IP? Or would it be too far removed from the series to actually be something the franchise could tackle?

I think it'd need to be a new IP. Onimusha was Resident Evil with katanas, open world horror never works.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I would prefer a more traditional Onimusha experience.

Do what you know works and what the fans want at least initially to bring back Onimusha, and then move forward from there.

For example, introducing some direct and in-direct co-op multiplayer to DMC5 is a good starting point to do something bigger with multiplayer in future DMC / Action games.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's not going to happen, they're just shooting off wishlist the same way people wish for a Harry Potter JRPG in the veins of Person games.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Sounds more like Resident Evil 2's Director Kazunori Kadoi is hinting that he's leaving Capcom to join the Ryu ga Gotoku Studio at Sega and everyone just got quiet and sad. What other franchise is Japanese, pseudo-open world, and has games in the modern and period eras? Kenzan was Edo, Ishin was Bakumatsu. A Sengoku RgG is not out of the question in the future.

I think it'd need to be a new IP. Onimusha was Resident Evil with katanas, open world horror never works.
Onimusha was never horror. It's an action game lol. That's like saying Devil May Cry is a horror game because it originated as a Resident Evil concept.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I know they're different periods but I'd assume the general, less historically inclined public wouldn't understand that and inevitable comparisons to Tsushima would be made.

I'd be ok with something like God of War or the new Tomb Raider, where they are open sometimes but not big open, or even a traditional Onimusha, but not a big open world.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
if it was a souls 1 esque small open world with great design that would be dope.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting speculation. Can't wait to see what the studio does have in store after RE2 Remake (and RE3 Remake?), and I do think it would be nice to see them get a shot at what they're creatively energized about. I did watch the doc earlier but didn't quite make the "Japanese GTA" + Onimusha link, but I like the idea.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It's an interesting idea, to say the least.

The one interesting thing that Onimusha Soul (the online browser game thing) introduced into the series lore was that pretty much EVERY major personality in that era was on the side of the Oni or Genma clans. Even Uesugi Kenshin and Takeda Shingen, one set of one of the most famous rivalries of that day, and were active largely before Nobunaga's rise. So, if they really wanted to play up some type of open world game, there really is a whole prospective countryside they could use as a battlefield and no shortage of eras to choose from.

But at this point, I'm just at the point where I want an Onimusha game that focuses on Sekigahara/1600. Tokugawa Ieyasu is the only other Unifier that has yet to be showcased in the series, and it's not like Mitsunari and Sakon bit it at the end of DoD, either.

...Yes, I know Nioh already did covered this, but I still would like to see how Onimusha would've handled it. I'd like to think that the Capcom side of the equation may have done more interesting things with a character like Yasuke, on the same token.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
did the recent onimusha remake thing even sell well to warrant such a big reboot?

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Onimusha was never horror. It's an action game lol. That's like saying Devil May Cry is a horror game because it originated as a Resident Evil concept.

True. It looked like an RE game and controlled like one but it was much more of and action game. It wasn't like Dino Crisis which really was basically the same type of game as RE.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how I'd feel about that, I'd love more Onimusha but not everything needs to become open world...

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Between Sekiro, Nioh, Ghost of Tsushima, and now maybe Onimusha...it's a good time for a samurai and shinobi fan.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I've said it before, CAPCOM could go the route of making Onimusha Souls or something like that.

But Team Ninja outdo them with Nioh.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Onimusha can go kick dirt. Dragon's Dogma is the one rightful Capcom fan favorite that should be revisited

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it. Capcom has my full support with whatever direction they bring it back in.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
You know the thread title should be "RE2 Director Kazunori Kadoi's dream project is a Japanese-style GTA. (modern or medieval timeline is fine)"

Anyway, I think that Onimusha could work as a small open world game in the veins of a Tomb Raider-like, expanding from the game design of Onimusha 2 where there's a hub town to return to. But definitely not in the sprawling GTA-like, especially since the appeal of that sort of open world design would be diminished by the fact that the world would then be a bit too action-heavy due to demonic monsters.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't seem like Capcom is capable of doing any wrong at the moment, so bring it on. Also, Dino Crisis reboot while we're at it.

Oh, and a new Dragon's Dogma, thank you so very much!

(And don't forget about Breath of Fire)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I know Onimusha and GoT are set hundreds of years apart, but 99% of the general public are going to see open world samurai game and call it a rip off.

I'd just like another standard entry to be honest. Do what DMCV is doing, and improve, rather than try to reinvent the wheel.

Sep 3, 2018
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't seem like Capcom is capable of doing any wrong at the moment, so bring it on. Also, Dino Crisis reboot while we're at it.

Oh, and a new Dragon's Dogma, thank you so very much!

(And don't forget about Breath of Fire)
You never know. Now that Itsuno is done with DMC V he might start working on a Dragon's Dogma 2 after a short break (or might actually already be working on it).