• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Browsing the internet I came across this Twitter thread about a spanish guy, who has done his homework and theorizes about the idea of Obsidian Entertainment working on a new Conker game. I am going to leave you here the first tweet of the thread, in case you want to take a look at it and here I am going to translate for you the main bits that make him think about this possibility. I am bilingual (bragging mode on).

1. Obsidian visited Rare studios in 2019 (this means nothing, I know).

Eum51mpXMAYkWIK

2. Matt Booty, in the "E3 2019 Xbox Game Studios Coliseum" talk, briefly mentioned this possibility. Minute 49:50 of this video:

3. Obsidian is working on multiple projects in this moment, and Brando Adler is leading an unnanounced one.

Eum8A-1WgAESdGb

4. His twitter account has been long inactive, but he follows Rare twitter account. Also, his bio says:

"Game Director at Obsidian Entertainment. Currently working on an unannounced project"

5. MS included a very brief appeareance of Conker in a recent promotional video. Minute 2:26 of this video:

6. In the Rare Replay E3 2018 Trailer we can see the following image:

EunBFeSWgAYP_PA

It seems it showcases the franchises that Rare considers more iconic. Battletoads and Perfect Dark have been already taken care of, but what about Banjo and Conker?

-

I admit all of these could be a whole load of nothing, but just the idea of thinking about this possibility is interesting and exciting at the same time, in my opinion.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
They should let Conker go, it's whole shtick was gross out "adult" humor and that just doesn't play anymore.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I don't find any aspect of this compelling or suggestive.

Personally, I'm really cynical about Conker coming back. Like with Banjo, every year folks find some really fuzzy reasons to believe there's a revival around the corner, and it never happens. Additionally, the "recent" attempts to bring Conker back - the Project Spark campaign, Young Conker in Hololens - were incredibly ill-conceived, so I'm not really sure what MS' interest is in the franchise or if they would put together something fans actually want.

Still, I'd like them to make an attempt. I never agreed that the core ideas behind the original were completely untranslatable to the modern era; sure, some tweaks are called for, but a quality platformer with funny writing isn't somehow incompatible with today's market or sensibilities.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
This would mean Obsidian has 5 games in the works right now.

Avowed
Grounded
Josh Sawyer Game(small team of 6 people)
Outer Worlds 2
Conker

That's a lot.
I can honestly say I hope it's not true lol.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
It would be so weird if we got a new Conker before Banjo.

Also, I'm totally good if Conker never comes back.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way that Conker would find any success today. People hate mascot characters with an attitude and in general gross-out comedy has been waning. Battletoads already covers that niche, as limited as it probably is, more than well enough for Microsoft's needs.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, IIIIIIII hope it happens. I'd love a good platformer that doesn't HAVE to appeal to the E for Everyone rating. The difficult thing would be to skirt the line on humor towhere it doesn't fall flat on its face like Duke Nukem Forever. I go back to Conker Live and Reloaded every now and then and it still makes me laugh (particularly the barn tools section, telling one to kill himself), and I think Obsidian could pull it off. Hell, get Matt Stone and Trey Parker to help since they already worked together on Stick of Truth.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well, IIIIIIII hope it happens. I'd love a good platformer that doesn't HAVE to appeal to the E for Everyone rating. The difficult thing would be to skirt the line on humor towhere it doesn't fall flat on its face like Duke Nukem Forever. I go back to Conker Live and Reloaded every now and then and it still makes me laugh (particularly the barn tools section, telling one to kill himself), and I think Obsidian could pull it off. Hell, get Matt Stone and Trey Parker to help since they already worked together on Stick of Truth.

"You're making…Conker? But how will you convince people he's not a relic of the late nineties?"
"We're hiring the South Park guys!"

(I know Conker came out in early 2001, but it's so, so late nineties.)

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am pretty surprised to see here folks thinking a new Conker game would copy exactly the humor and the gameplay of past games.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we assume that MS is teasing a Conker comeback none of those evidences feel convincing to me that Obsidian is the studio behind it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This would be a great way to make me feel slightly less miserable about never getting to play an Obsidian game again, so sure. Hopefully it happens.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"You're making…Conker? But how will you convince people he's not a relic of the late nineties?"
"We're hiring the South Park guys!"

(I know Conker came out in early 2001, but it's so, so late nineties.)

Yea but the Pandemic Special episode showed they still got it. I'm just saying they are good at doing that style of humor, and Stick of Truth was very well received. I think Fractured But Whole wasn't as much but that had nothing to do with the South Park people.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If true (and that's a BIG if), Obsidian is actually a great choice for this.

A Conker game in 2021 would have to be a lot more than just movie parodies and cute cartoon animals doing adult things. Obsidian's writers have the talent to provide a fresh take on it.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lots of people want a Banjo game but I don't see a whole lot of people asking for a new Conker game. I myself would be pretty upset if Conker gets a new game and Banjo does not. I don't understand why Microsoft won't make a new Banjo but are still selling a lot of new Banjo-Kazooie merchandise. Kind of insulting really.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Uh.. I hope not.

Conker is the last thing I want to see from the studio that gave us some NWN, KOTOR and Pillars games.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
It's a game intrinsicly linked to British humour, I'm not sure I'd want an American dev to put their spin on it as something would be lost in translation.

Don't agree with all of the salty people above, Moan moan. Games are entertainment not for hipster cool points.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I am pretty surprised to see here folks thinking a new Conker game would copy exactly the humor and the gameplay of past games.
The humor is one of the main selling points of the game, even if it did not age well or whatever, maybe there is a good point between OG Conker and Young Conker but it would be hard to do something interesting with it, at least I can't see it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How could Obsidian tackle so many projects at the same time?

Jan 4, 2018
Bring back Conker. That game was amazing (like every other Rareware game on the N64) and I would love to see a refined and reimagined Conker game.

And bring back Banjo and Viva Piñata too. All of them.

I don't know what to think about this theory but I would be very happy if it's true. The more Rare IPs get rebooted, the better. And if not, I'm still excicted to see what Brandon is working on. Grounded proved that Obsidian is largely capable to create great things outside of the RPG front.

Last edited:

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I mean...what else is there to Conker? It's whole thing, and I mean the whole thing, is "woaaah look at this boss made of shit, isn't that crazy?". Conker as a mascot isn't anywhere near as beloved as Banjoo/Kazooie, I think we'd sooner see a new game focused on them than Conker.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
no offense but this would be a waste of talent/time/resources. there are better xbox IPs to bring back.
From my perspective it would be the best use of Obsidian ever. Though is there any platforming talent in Obsidian? (Anyway, the arguments for this to be true are weak)

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I personally never cared about Conker in the slightest, but if they just took the basic of Conker and the aesthetic, then wrote a *genuinely funny* and "blue" game around him, I'd certainly be interested. But the asterisks are around the words genuinely funny for a reason.

As for Banjo, I'm still willing to put down $5 that there's either a sequel or remake in development as we speak.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope not. None of the studios bought by MS recently should work on their old franchises.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Also...

Killer instinct
Battletoads
Perfect dark
Conker

not banjo yet, we still have jet force gemini, blast corps, grabbed by the ghoulies... There's at least 20 years before rare needs to make another Banjo.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if any Xbox studio were to make a new Conker I'd want it to be Double Fine.

I'm not desperate to see a Conker revival (I didn't love it the first time around really, outside of the shock of a game like that being on the N64) but if Double Fine announced that they were putting out a little Conker project I'd at least be intrigued.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Imagine thinking Conker is the vibe in 2021

True, but also imagine thinking Battletoads was the vibe in 2020 (It was a bad game, don't get me wrong), but sometimes a "nostalgic" name/IP is all you need to get a project pushed through. I think it's fair to argue that the longer you let an IP sit dormant, the more difficult it is to bring it back and keep it relevant, so maybe it's just "let's just put out a small scale Conker game on Game Pass so that people don't completely forget about it, because then where is the value in the IP"?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think it's a little late for Conkee and without Chris Seavor it just wouldn't be the same

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean...what else is there to Conker? It's whole thing, and I mean the whole thing, is "woaaah look at this boss made of shit, isn't that crazy?". Conker as a mascot isn't anywhere near as beloved as Banjoo/Kazooie, I think we'd sooner see a new game focused on them than Conker.

Obsidian did pretty well with the South Park license. I think this would be fine.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they made a South Park game so I guess it would't be the biggest stretch. My initial reaction is that like Duke Nukem, Conker 64 is embarrassingly shitty in 2021, but It'd be interesting to see what good storytellers would do with it assuming they'd be self aware about it.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, the South Park Stick of Truth game was made by Obsidian and well received, wasn't it? I think a Conker action platformer in the vein of modern Ratchet and Clank with the Stick of Truth writing team and some RPG elements would be a great game. Something stupidly fun and very immature comedy style would be interesting in today's world.

That being said, I highly doubt Obsidian is actually making a new Conker game, Adler's game, assuming it exists, will probably be a smaller scale isometric game given that he was a producer on Neverwinter Nights 2 and the two Pillars of Eternity games, and I doubt Obisidian has the budget or the employees to handle two AAA games (Avowed and the Outer World's teams next game) on top of a larger AA game (which a new Conker likely would be, on account of the team not having done platformers in that vein) and two smaller AA games (Grounded and whatever Josh Sawyer is doing)

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
there were folk suggesting that Naughty Dog should be the dev to make a new MGS so sure why not, this sounds slightly less daft than that ridiculousness

(no I do not think Obsidian are working on a Conker game)

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Doesn't Obsidian already have alot on their plate regarding projects. That survival game and, Avowed and, what ever Josh Sawyer is working on. Also, do we really need a new Conker game.