• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
With MS buying Activision and Bethesda: I can't help but worry. What is stopping MS from buying everything, maybe even Sony themselves (is that even possible)?

Realistically, could we be heading towards the end of PS? I would honestly probably die if Naughty Dog stopped making games. It just means a lot to me.

So what can Sony do and where is this all leading? Will there even be a PS6?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
No. The Japanese government probably wouldn't allow it.

Also, Sony is a conglomerate, not just a video game maker, there's a lot more they would be responsible for.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
A.) Government would 100% step it.
B.) There's a lot of other things that Sony would come with that Microsoft just wouldn't want. (This is the biggest thing)
C.) That would be way very expensive.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
they already have a console production/services team, it would be redundant to buy playstation

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
This is an offensively low effort thread. Do some basic googling about the companies, the finances, etc... The community does not have to be a sounding board for your anxiety.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Now that's a post alright.

No is the simple answer

Also, LOL at MS Buying Sony to shut down Naughty Dog

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
People rightly freak out at MS buying Activision-Blizzard, but even then it's not a platform holder unlike Sony or Nintendo. That's the one thing I never expect to happen unless big changes take place in those companies.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, yes they are a much much larger company than Sony. Their market cap is about 2x what MS bought today. Obviously Sony also owns a shitload of divisions that Microsoft may or may not have an interest in.

That said, they aren't for sale. I doubt Activision sells if there was not an active share-holder revolt right now either.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
With MS buying Activision and Bethesda: I can't help but worry. What is stopping MS from buying everything, maybe even Sony themselves (is that even possible)?

Realistically, could we be heading towards the end of PS? I would honestly probably die if Naughty Dog stopped making games. It just means a lot to me.

So what can Sony do and where is this all leading? Will there even be a PS6?

It'd be easier to just continue gobbling up other pubs such as EA and T2 and make their games exclusive. That way I highly doubt Sony can keep the PS train going as sad as that is

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yes, this seems like a reasonable thought process.

but also please take a moment to breathe, log out and maybe take a walk?

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They have the money for it. But the antitrust laws probably wouldn't allow it.

Ok... even if that happened, why would Naughty Dog stop making games?????

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
They wouldn't anyway since they don't need their movie/TV etc divisions. And Sony wouldn't just sell Playstation as it makes them the most money.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I would honestly probably die if Naughty Dog stopped making games. It just means a lot to me.

kombucha-girl.gif

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
That would be such an obvious monopoly that even the US courts, despite being notoriously lax on big consolidations, would probably actually block it

OP
OP
Aldro

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
God I hope everyone is right. So then, what is the worst that can happen? So many people seem to say Sony is screwed because of the recent MS news... Is it all hyperbole?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Could they afford them? Yes. Like others said, the Japanese government wouldn't allow it, nor would the U.S.

Let's move in from this topic as it's unproductive and will only piss people off.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
There's no chance in hell regulators would allow one of the three console manufacturers to buy another. That's extremely blatantly buying a monopoly. Would be like Disney buying Netflix.
It's also just extremely doubtful the Japanese government would be okay with such a big Japanese company falling into foreign hands.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Sony is valued at more than twice what the Activision deal was for. Also, Sony is primarily not PS so what does MS want with a company that has so many other parts (film, cameras, TVs, medical imaging, etc...).
Also, I'm sure that the courts would object to it.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
On the basis of revenues a Sony acquisition would be in the range of $200-240 billion minimum

Microsoft has deep pockets but I don't know if they're that deep. I suppose Sony could sell off just its gaming division, but that would be...weird

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing as Nintendo, the Japanese government would never allow it, even if it was just the Playstation arm. You can't even consider it.

Singh

Oct 26, 2017
In the other thread I jokingly put Apple could be interested in Sony now, as a direct competitor to Microsoft. Especially with Sony's music/ movie studios as well, I say that without any knowledge of how these mergers work.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope everyone is right. So then, what is the worst that can happen? So many people seem to say Sony is screwed because of the recent MS news... Is it all hyperbole?
In all seriousness Sony is absolutely not screwed by this, they still have plenty of market share. People are just posting hot takes because this caught everyone off guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.