• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The launch of next gen consoles allow for platform holders like Microsoft and Sony to go seek timed third party exclusives for their console. We've seen games like Dead Rising 3 (Capcom) for Xbox One or Godfall (Gearbox) for PS5.

Buying an all out exclusive can be expensive for a platform holder, especially on highly awaited games from third party. GTA being exclusive (even timed) wouldn't really possible nowadays. There are a lot of ways to do partnerships with a 3rd party : exclusive release, timed exclusive, marketing deals, exclusive in game content (DLC), timed exclusive on DLC, and so on.

A new thing Microsoft could do, and I would like your opinion on this : launch exclusive to Game Pass. The idea would be that a 3rd party game would release on PlayStation, Xbox, PC and even Switch, like a lot of multiplatform game do today, but it would also be released day and date on Xbox Game Pass.

It's something Microsoft is doing with some of its first party games like Minecraft Dungeon which will be released on Xbox, PlayStation and Switch, but will be on Xbox Game Pass from day one. Could Microsoft seek the same kind of release from third party ? Would that be too expensive for them ?

I think what the OP is trying to say is having 3rd party games release the same day on Game Pass, as it does for PS4, Xbox, Switch, etc. As it is now, only a handful of 3rd party games are released onto Game Pass on launch. Typically 3rd party games come much later, so having them on the service day one would be an interesting thought. Though, I'd suppose MS would have to work out a deal since this would net 3rd party publishers with possibly less revenue than selling them outright.

Last edited:

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
They already do this?

The Outer Worlds launched on Game Pass same day as everywhere else.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I think what the OP is trying to say is having 3rd party games release the same day on Game Pass, as it does for PS4, Xbox, Switch, etc. As it is now, only a handful of 3rd party games are released onto Game Pass on launch. Typically 3rd party games come much later, so having them on the service day one would be an interesting thought. Though, I'd suppose MS would have to work out a deal since this would net 3rd party publishers with possibly less revenue than selling them outright.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
They already do this, mostly indie games.

I expect more deals like only On Game Pass, not PSN Now or Stadia for a year type deals to be done. Still sold via retail etc... But only one service has it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
They could, but I don't see why they would like you're saying OP. Just don't think it'd make financial sense for them. It'd be extremely expensive, and their dollars would go so much further investing internally, funding 3rd party development, or simply moneyhat-ing exclusives.

I remember about 18 months ago when people were speculating that Metro Exodus and Shadow of the Tomb Raider would launch on Gamepass.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Thanks yes. Sorry for the confusion.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, this will happen more and more. Also for Stadia and PS Now.
We'll see things like the next Metro game or Darksiders game to be exclusive to a certain subscription service, while still launching on all hardware.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Microsoft getting at least one 3rd party multiplatform game at launch would be a huge win for them. The more they can market the out the door cost is just the price of the console and not console + games + etc, the better for them, especially if their box ends up being more expensive.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's a far better option than buying exclusivety. It benefits this work gamepass and the gamepass and Xbox brands workout hurting anyone else. A carrot instead of a stick.

Sky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Didnt Phil say he hates the idea of buying 3rd party exclusives (excluding tomb raider-cough) So if Microsoft did, im sure there would be an uproar.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It would be very expensive to get a substantial third party on game pass for launch day. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Putfire

May 12, 2018
Didnt Phil say he hates the idea of buying 3rd party exclusives (excluding tomb raider-cough) So if Microsoft did, im sure there would be an uproar.
These are totally different things. The games continued to be available on other platforms with all content, the difference would be that the Gamepass would receive at launch.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
He said he didn't want that at the expanse of other platform. A game that would release everywhere, but be on one subscription service would not be that.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Highly unlikely, it would be ridiculously expensive to put a big budget, marketed game on there. Even selling a low half million copies at launch would put a AAA game at like $15 million. It would be a LOT of money for MS to cover, especially since MS would need to cover potential sales lost

Putfire

May 12, 2018
In particular, I think it is a much better idea than temporary or content exclusivity.
give me the dayone games at the GP and can even launch to the microwave.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks yes. Sorry for the confusion.

A suggestion to fix your title: "Should Microsoft seek AAA third party multiplatform titles to launch on Xbox Game Pass?"

I added the "AAA" because, quite frankly, that's what people care about that would be big news. Not to mention, they've done this with AA games already as some have mentioned. Also changed the "could" to "should," because obviously they could.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see this happening but honestly, I would be a bit tight if it did. On one hand, its a big kuddos to MS for locking that down. But on the other hand, it's going to hurt to buy the game considering everyone who bought an xbox first, would be able to get it at a pretty much net zero price. If this does become common place, then I'm not buying anyone games. 1 year exclusive deals were and are still scummy. This would make it worst, because now we are in full stream war territory and everyone is going to lose. It one of those wars that is going to happen, but who shits it up is going to be the one that most people will hate.

Microsoft really had it with the 360 with the third party exclusives, introduced Sony to that war and Sony shitted it up this gen. Microsoft pops that shot into the air...and ugggh.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France

MS has announced such deals nearly every year (I think Phantasy Star Online 2 is the most recent one ? Or maybe Crossfire X ?). And considering that the first official PS5 game is a third party exclusive, they could try to do the same without "risking" an uproar.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They already do this?

The Outer Worlds launched on Game Pass same day as everywhere else.

They own that studio? So not a good example. It will cost them a lot of money to get a third party game to release day to date on Gamepass. It would have to be something not already on another service.

And if it's high profile, it's going to cost a lot.

Something people have not been realistic about, is what it costs to have a game on your service, especially have it release on it will cost double digit millions, if not more.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next game to do this will be Psychonaughts, and yes I see no issue in MS paying to release 3rd party titles day 1 on GP, without restricting other machines. What is does do is tempt gamers over to Xbox in a consumer friendly way. Playing the RE3 Remake for $9 vs $60 would be pretty effective for them, with the GP base they've built and increase in user engagement I'm sure they can work something out. Probably much cheaper then traditional money hat too.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry forgot to add that crucial point : it would be exclusive to subscriptions systems like PS Now and others.

OH.

I honestly don't think it would be necessary from a business standpoint right now. What's the biggest competitor to Game Pass right now? EA Access? Humble Choice? PS Now? Stadia? I don't think Microsoft is really worried about any of them at the moment, so why bother paying for subscription exclusivity?

Paying for day and date launch on Game Pass is a different story and seems more plausible.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Of course - all depends on how much money MS is willing to spend for the games. Just as for everything else on GamePass.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I don't see MS ever agreeing to restrict content on others. They'll probably just lower GP cost for a period to maximise interest of gamers.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They have gotten a few games like Metro Exodus and Outer Wilds but Microsoft doesn't seem to be interested in getting exclusive third party deals. I don't think anyone should be going after third party exclusive deals to be honest.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
most likely. sony doesnt really push for launch day stuff for psnow granted that could change for next gen