• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Could Microsoft get away with delaying Halo Infinite?

• Yes, if the game needs more time.

Votes: 365 54.7%
  • No, they cannot afford to launch series X without it.

Votes: 302 45.3%

• Total voters

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Oh for sure, back before patching and post-launch support became standard this was definitely the case. I've just noticed people still use this meme in a "serious" way when there's less and less truth to it in the modern age.
Oh I totally agree it's finally not the case anymore. It more about time and money and it's still in a companies best interest to ship a competent product.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
If they can't get everything right then they really need to. Halo has taken enough hits to keep Xbox alive they need to get this one right.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The game isn't mind blowing graphically but it still looks like it will be a great game. Don't let the memes sway you you believing it's a mess that won't sell well.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
While I do think it could also mean business suicide, I think they should delay the Series X until the Spring of 2021. If Sony decides to offer a very competitive price and are currently the market leaders, Microsoft will not only lose money but will not sell much consoles due to the uninteresting launch line-up. I do see a lot of potential for The Medium though. I just hoped it would have more of that "wow" factor. It has a fair share of mystery that makes the game very intriguing. For me, it's currently the most interesting game along with The Ascent that looks like a lot of fun.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I honestly don't know what would be worse atm... delaying it or releasing it in whatever state it will be by the holidays.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Oh I totally agree it's finally not the case anymore. It more about time and money and it's still in a companies best interest to ship a competent product.
I agree, as much as post-launch patching has become viable, I've grown tired of it, at least from a bug-fixing standpoint. It's become much easier to just wait to buy or play a game until after it's fixed than to deal with launch bugs, even if waiting isn't pleasant either.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They could but will they and the answer is no.

They've set the game up as their center for the launch of the console. This game is getting released in whatever state with whatever modes at that point. They'll just add onto it the same way ther they've done for sot and mcc

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
In my opinion, if Microsoft delays Halo, they run a real risk of having the Series X be one of the few consoles that doesn't even sell out at launch. The kind of console you can pick up without a pre-order by strolling into any store a day after it released.

Not the kind of dynamic you want to be in when you launch your console.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't break your arm reaching so hard.

This was an early build of a game that still has months of development left, and it's almost assuredly going to look better. Certain other companies have had multiple issues throughout the years with showing a game that looks better graphically during demos and showcases, than when the final product shipped. So I'd rather the likelihood that Infinite will improve as launch nears, as opposed to being wowed and then seeing that game get a downgrade.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I agree, as much as post-launch patching has become viable, I've grown tired of it, at least from a bug-fixing standpoint. It's become much easier to just wait to buy or play a game until after it's fixed than to deal with launch bugs, even if waiting isn't pleasant either.
Yeah, In my line of work they are pretty much dropping updates on software every damn month. It's a bit annoying but I get the agile model it does work in ways for software.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think so, sure. It no longer seems like a hot commodity, especially following that demo. If they want to delay it six months or even a year I doubt the gaming world would meltdown.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I use Era as a stand in for armchair industry analysis in general, Twitter, gamefaqs, same shit. As a grizzled ancient who's seen "the discourse" happen every time a new Halo game is released, I'm getting a bit tired of it.

Edr2cVSXgAEshxF
Lol this shit never changes

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I don't want to be too harsh, but Series X could be "doa" without Halo Infinite at launch. In the same way Xbox One vs PS4 started last gen with Microsoft being in a huge hole, etc. Gamepass is amazing but everyone will still just get that through PC and current Xbox consoles.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, the console will likely sell out during the holidays anyway. Hopefully they could optimize the visuals and add raytracing and shit and release in the spring.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Nah they need a big game for holiday 2020... this would be true regardless of the XSX version.

I think the gameplay looked fine, and the graphics left much to be desired. The gameplay will decide if the game has any legs. That demo convinced me that the campaign stands to play better than its 343 predecessors. If the MP does the same, people will forget about This showing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bit earlier to say, it didn't look great but 4 months, a lot could maybe happen compared to what we seen. Also it's pretty much ever evolving like a GaaS title so I remain unconvinced Microsoft cares much as it will grow, say something like Sea of Theives to what it was so if it comes in hot that's fine, patch it up.

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
Brad Sams mentioned that one of his sources is saying that it may launch without multiplayer. If so, might aswell delay the SP.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute. Of course Microsoft can delay Halo, they have Yakuza 7's next-gen upgrade exclusive at launch. We'll all be pretty busy playing that :P

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Yeah, In my line of work they are pretty much dropping updates on software every damn month. It's a bit annoying but I get the agile model it does work in ways for software.
Yeahhhh, I work in software and in general it's a better model for actually having bug free software *eventually*, at the cost of early adopters. Usually this is focused more on software with a free version/trial, and I mean Halo is on gamepass so on that model I guess it kind of works.

Bracing myself for Cyberpunk lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeahhhh, I work in software and in general it's a better model for actually having bug free software *eventually*, at the cost of early adopters. Usually this is focused more on software with a free version/trial, and I mean Halo is on gamepass so on that model I guess it kind of works.

Bracing myself for Cyberpunk lol
Oh I bought cyberpunk but def will be playing when the have their next gen made version I already know what's prob gonna happen lol.

Feb 4, 2018
Considering Sea of Thieves' trajectory, I see them benefitting from just releasing it now.

thehardtimes.net

Shigeru Miyamoto Delays Orgasm for Quality Purposes

KYOTO, Japan — Shigeru Miyamoto announced today that in order to make sure he lives up to his highest standards, he will be delaying the…

Yeah, Sea of Thieves is the model and they'll push Infinite out to get that massive week-one "eight million players have joined us in Halo: Infinite" press release. That kind of press release won't hit the same in Q2 2021.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it doesn't need an arbitrary date to launch.

1) The game is not only playable on the Series X.
2) Their Game Pass approach is for the long-term.
3) The game is being built as a "platform for the future".

They should do it, but they won't do it. I said this a long time ago, and it still remains true.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I say yes but im always on team delay. I do not at all believe in steve jobs geniuses ship nonsense
The longer you cook something the better it tastes

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
This is the bottom of the barrel...

Don't understand. This whole conversation is "bottom of the barrel" or the quality of Halo Infinite is?

I'm surprised at the number of people saying it's just an "art style". The XSX has been touted as the most powerful next gen console with TFLOPs to spare. Halo is MS's flagship IP. Not having your flagship release be an example of what your new hardware is capable of just doesn't make sense. Why have all of that graphical power and release a text adventure game? (hyperbolic to emphasis point)

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
2 more years? LOL. This is a business and this has been in development for nearly 5 years. They will launch it and patch it later.

Yeah, if only there was a publisher in direct competition with MS who has no qualms about a 7 year dev cycle on their flagship title /s

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Don't understand. This whole conversation is "bottom of the barrel" or the quality of Halo Infinite is?

I'm surprised at the number of people saying it's just an "art style". The XSX has been touted as the most powerful next gen console with TFLOPs to spare. Halo is MS's flagship IP. Not having your flagship release be an example of what your new hardware is capable of just doesn't make sense. Why have all of that graphical power and release a text adventure game? (hyperbolic to emphasis point)
The game was built for the Xbox One and ported up. What would you want them to do? The game isn't broken as far as we can tell and we still know little to nothing about the structure. There's no reason to delay for visual coats of paint that will end up coming later anyways.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The worst thing Microsoft could do is listen to people who had no intention of playing Halo or buying a Microsoft product.

Just put the game out, people will play it and as time goes on it will get improved and more people will download it because it's basically free on gamepass. If you own a Xbox and don't have gamepass I don't even know why you have the system.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm blanking. The Last Guardian and?? I'm also sure those games weren't costing 500 million to make. At some point you have to recover some of your losses.

The Last of Us 2, which technically entered proper development in 2014, but was already being conceptualized properly in 2013.

The 500mil stuff is a rumor that looks more and more false considering how the game looked yesterday.

Edit: DREAMS had an 8 year dev cycle lol

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They shouldnt! The game looks like fun to play, and as long as they improve the game with time, which is probably the plan, they should release it this year.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I do see a lot of potential for The Medium though. I just hoped it would have more of that "wow" factor. It has a fair share of mystery that makes the game very intriguing. For me, it's currently the most interesting game along with The Ascent that looks like a lot of fun.

Bloober Team has yet to show that they can make compelling gameplay. games are graphically good but gameplay wise it was not that stunning so far.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
If the reason for delaying it is for graphics, it ain't happening. I wasn't a fan of the graphics either, but visuals is the least of Halo's problems. 343 has had a problem with releasing completely broken and barebones games. Halo 5 has also gotten barely any playtime from me in a long time and I find myself still rocking MCC all these years later. They need to focus on replayability and player retention.

If 343 can nail the launch of Infinite with delivering a complete, unbroken package, I'll be willing to let what we saw yesterday slide. They really just need to fix the pop-in, broken/non-existent AO, and low-res textures. Hopefully that doesn't require a massive delay. We'll see.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The Last of Us 2, which technically entered proper development in 2014, but was already being conceptualized properly in 2013.

The 500mil stuff is a rumor that looks more and more false considering how the game looked yesterday.
Budget has to do with the number of people and time they are working on a project, not visuals. 😉

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Budget has to do with the number of people and time they are working on a project, not visuals. 😉

Yeah, I know. You'd figure with all that budget and all those people working on it and all that time, the game wouldn't look worse than stuff that has already released this year and be riddled with poor LOD and pop-in.

DREAMS also had a 7+ year dev cycle. If a game needs more time it should get more time. Especially when it's your flagship game and has severe pop-in issues 5 feet from the POV of the player. Their direct competitor seems to have no issue doing that.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They must release a game that Halo fans will love day 1, no matter how much time it takes.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
XSX would sell out initially regardless, so yes I think they could, well unless it's something crazy like over a year. I think Halo limping out would be worse long term, than it releasing in a great state eventually.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is such a downgrade from the initial in engine trailer that you could flip a coin between either option and roll with it.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
No. Hopefully they can patch it as time goes on.

If they can just add another layer of lighting, maybe some sort of RTGI, and push the LoD to be "solid" and lacking pop in, that will do slot to at least make it a pleasant image.

That said the gameplay needs to be good, but I don't see why it wouldn't be, aside from the grapple it should be iteration on a 20 year old formula that was near perfect from the start.

My biggest worry is story. They really fucked it up with H5 campaign IMO, but so far I don't really like what they're doing with it. The main Brute baddy's look and monologue did abaolutly nothing for me.

But maybe the story will be great. Who knows at this point.

All said it needs to launch with the Series X. But it also needs to be somewhat impressive or at least

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

This was an early build of a game that still has months of development left, and it's almost assuredly going to look better. Certain other companies have had multiple issues throughout the years with showing a game that looks better graphically during demos and showcases, than when the final product shipped. So I'd rather the likelihood that Infinite will improve as launch nears, as opposed to being wowed and then seeing that game get a downgrade.
Where is this months of development narrative coming from? It's out in 4 months.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017

4 months is really not much, my dude. Also consider that the game has to go gold a few weeks before launch. Don't expect a dramatic change between what you saw in the trailer and what you're going to play this holidays.