• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I've always argued that if they did 50 different takes for every cut they'd have the raw material to edit a masterpiece out of Leto's Joker

Suicide Squad is the worst fucking movie I've ever seen

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, it could be better if they just removed his teeth grill.

They always look terrible and make people sound terrible. Just removing that would be a guaranteed improvement.

Whether that is enough to make it a quality Joker... Not so sure.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Leto's Joker out of the DCEU? And is Phoenix's new Joker even in the DCEU? I haven't kept up.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I would've liked to see him take a crack at it with some proper writing, but that's unlikely to happen. So much wasted talent in those movies.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing that might've salvaged it is the idea that he wasn't the original Joker but a fucked up Jason Todd.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Leto seems like a good actor and the joker in suicide squad wasn't worse than anything else in the film so yes it's entirely possible to salvage him in the role.

But also totally unnecessary, scrub it from existence please.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
No.

Leto is a great actor, and I wouldn't be opposed to have him play the character again, as long as it isn't anything like the Joker from suicide squad.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Is Leto's Joker out of the DCEU? And is Phoenix's new Joker even in the DCEU? I haven't kept up.
TBD, but probably.

new Joker movie is not in the DCEU. It was a one time gig and the timelines of the movie wouldn't make sense anyway. Joker would be in his 80's in present day DCEU.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be interesting if you rebooted him ala White Knight.

Following Birds of Prey where he breaks up with Harley, things happens ala the book and he becomes normal again, cleans up his tattoos, and starts making changes for the good of the city. Then if they have him go crazy again at the end they can go a totally different better way.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep Phoenix. Have this Joker be some shitty copycat

Phoenix's film lends to this being possible

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't a horrible Joker, the issues with the movie(s) spanned beyond the character and the actor. It is however hard to appreciate the positive aspects of his (admittedly different and not as impactful) Joker considering he starred in some very flawed stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Keep Phoenix. Have this Joker be some shitty copycat
The best part of that movie is that even though it's a stand alone it can easily be made to fit in any universe because it never does anything that would mess up the canon of anything. All it does is make Joker older than Batman which could have always been the case because no one knows his age.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
This looks better already, no tats, no grill, and added eyebrows back

88z9i7ws21m31.jpg

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

There isn't really a DCEU at the moment.

Films now are more standalone with little references to other DC characters maybe included.

Consider Man of Steel, BvS, WW and Justice League it's own mini group.

Suicide Squad Joker has nothing to do with the new Joker movie and neither of these have anything to do with the new Batman movie.

They might do some crossover at some point but again it won't be set in the same world as those first few movies were. Don't be surprised if the new Wonder Woman movie makes no reference at all to the cross over films.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Zero chance. Wrap it up and throw it in the trash where it belongs.

Don't give him another bullshit reason to "method act" either. Used condom? Sick dude, totally not like the Joker! So artsy! What a revolutionary!

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Jared Leto is a great actor and I think if he was actually given good material he would be able to shine as The Joker. Unfortunately, everything about Suicide Squad was a mess and I don't think he'll ever get to try again.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Leto is a great actor who we will never really know what he could've done with a good interpretation of the Joker. It wouldn't even call it "his" Joker, all of that was David Ayer's take and it was a pretty awful take. Ayer really screwed the pooch there and I doubt that we will ever see Leto's Joker again.

[edit]

Also, I'm laughing at the idea that DC would have the balls to go from Phoenix's Joker (which has been incredibly well received) to Leto's. It's like eating at a 3 star Michelin restaurant to me making you some burnt eggs.

i don't think it was all on Ayer, not at all. Leto was constantly harassing co-stars and sent them used condomns

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There was never anything wrong with his take to begin with. I've seen iterations similar to what he did in the comics (A more dapper, gangster type variant) and I can't help but chuckle when people claim the 'Damaged' tattoo was too on the nose, as if this is a character rooted in subtlety.

I actually liked his take quite a bit and respected that he wanted to do something different than Ledger's version, which is no easy act to follow.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
There was never anything wrong with his take to begin with. I've seen iterations similar to what he did in the comics (A more dapper, gangster type variant) and I can't help but chuckle when people claim the 'Damaged' tattoo was too on the nose, as if this is a character rooted in subtlety.

I actually liked his take quite a bit and respected that he wanted to do something different than Ledger's version, which is no easy act to follow.
It's not about subtely, they tried too hard to make him cool and sexy like a try hard metal singer from the early 00s that would have made me cringe even as a kid. Phoenix's and Legder's joker were also less playful and edgier than the classic ones, but the themes in those movies were more interesting. Leto's doesn't even come across as insane like Ledger's nihalistic views or Phoenix's delusions, Leto's looks like just a murdering gangster who likes to parade for attention, but without the charm and humor of Nicholson's.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Leto and Eisenberg are good actors. But they royally fucked up the direction of their characters.

There are many other actors out there who deserve a chance more than them.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Leto was hardly interested in a character to begin with. He went in, gave the most over the top performance possible without an ounce of charm or intelligence behind it, collected the money and was waiting for a new cash flow to run towards him, except DCEU didn't worked out and his plans got burned together with Snyder.

Moral of the story, don't half-ass the work even if you're only interested in money.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
If it weren't for the behind-the-scenes stories about him being a weirdo, I'd actually feel a little bad for Leto. I've never seen a Joker rendition so universally reviled.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know- there's something there, but it's buried so deeply under the atrocious visual design and poor scripting that it's probably not worth the effort to extract it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Not only is his Joker trash, but yeah he's a walking #metoo waiting to happen. I was amazed that Sony hired him for Morbius.

He's obviously not going to be in The Suicide Squad since James Gunn is directing it, and he's on the record saying that Leto is a creep who goes after underage girls.

Joaquin Phoenix is The Joker now. I'd have no problem seeing him cross over with The Batman or Harley Quinn.

Edit: Were it up to me, I'd have Joaquin Phoenix show up the The Batman 2, and if there needs to be any kind of reference to Leto's Joker at any point, it should be explained that he was Jason Todd.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The script is what makes 90% of the Joker. So yeah, he could theoretically be saved, but the question is: why?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
There isn't really a DCEU at the moment.

Films now are more standalone with little references to other DC characters maybe included.

Consider Man of Steel, BvS, WW and Justice League it's own mini group.

Suicide Squad Joker has nothing to do with the new Joker movie and neither of these have anything to do with the new Batman movie.

They might do some crossover at some point but again it won't be set in the same world as those first few movies were. Don't be surprised if the new Wonder Woman movie makes no reference at all to the cross over films.

Not entirely. The DCEU as a concept is up and running, it just retconned the Snyder movies and perhaps Suicide Squad, but all the movie are canon as far as I know they just don't have any plans to have them meet up or connect at the moment. Aside from Joker, who is outside the DCEU but who knows? Wouldn't be hard to retcon it and recast the Phoenix Joker for a sequel. Thankfully the DCEU is finally on track.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Leto's Joker is a lightning rod for criticism of Suicide Squad, but Margot's Harley sucked almost as much and I wish both characters would disappear from the DCEU.