• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why not. List not exhaustive.

VII

fl1M5HY.gif

a8uFLH3.gif

gwqYctz.gif

kqdBbnd.gif

kKOD3v6.gif

KKNM268.gif

jCd6uZk.gif

6bugHHO.gif

VIII

1T0ADly.gif

27CRYk1.gif

j2bFQ7h.gif

iwybMLr.gif

tBnlcC8.gif

uEVz0MF.gif

5azAhht.gif

2urkQwF.gif

n7jelSl.gif

5UBo6pL.gif

WCZlOmZ.gif

a3HtTDB.gif

W16aTLv.gif

mBnFFN0.gif

oxb2uuN.gif

Kz1yCUX.gif

hbE4c9V.gif

pPzrYRQ.gif

DsYq826.gif

IX

iLDWg5r.gif

UgZVEMv.gif

oYUt0eU.gif

Tob43Nw.gif

xyAN5Sn.gif

7K0Gyz3.gif

XnQfwzh.gif

NOfAVZd.gif

yVVKHYs.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still end up impressed whenever they directly transition into a cutscene.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Pre-rendered background + fixed camera angles can make every scene look beautiful. It was a genius workaround for ps1 era games, and i still love them. It always had a certain charm to them.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, there were some games that used some semi-obnoxious backgrounds that were so animated that I guess they were basically FMV being used as a background, which so inflated file sizes that not only were the games too many discs long, but you had to swap discs just to go back to earlier towns. I think Legend of Dragoon was one of them.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Pre-rendered background + fixed camera angles can make every scene look beautiful. It was a genius workaround for ps1 era games, and i still love them. It always had a certain charm to them.
I thought of that specifically when uploading this Dollet one:

hbE4c9V.gif

Fixed cameras can provide some interesting compositions that you normally wouldn't see with freecam outside of cutscenes.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
On the other hand, there were some games that used some semi-obnoxious backgrounds that were so animated that I guess they were basically FMV being used as a background, which so inflated file sizes that not only were the games too many discs long, but you had to swap discs just to go back to earlier towns. I think Legend of Dragoon was one of them.
lol never played but this sounds funny. Need an example 🤔

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
FF8 was amazing for the animated stuff. Really sold immersion for me and made it that much better

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a time to appreciate when these games released and all time after that. I don't understand why you would think you couldn't appreciate them until now? Did you not appreciate them when the games released? So many questions lol, I'm only teasing OP.
But yes they were always impressive. And with them getting updated with higher resolutions and being able to see the finer details and how much work went into them is amazing. I used to love in the old magazines they would have two pages with one of the backgrounds with the print on top.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
MI5b3jr.gif

hRc8vuc.gif

Seriously this is the kind of FF I want again that has you look at something like this
FuN75Qg.gif

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Those are part of what made my absolute love for JRPG.

those made you imagination travel so hard, like what's behind this door? Who lives in this city?

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Dont see why there would be a time to not enjoy them, I played those 3 games for the first time ever this year, they all looked great.

In some ways FF IX looks better than X thanks to those 2d back grounds.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah but I don't think many animated. The monster arena entrance might have had animated elements I don't remember 🤔

A lot of them are. One of my favorites was the animated falls near the Wall of the Fayth, or some scenes in Macalania

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The PS1 FF pre-rendered backgrounds are all wonderful. Even the ones with subtle animation feel so alive.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Man, these have always been beautiful.

I think this is the aesthetic indies that try to emulate old-school JRPGs need to go for.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I really would love to see them make another FF like this. Doesn't have to be XVII, it can be a spin-off or whatever, I just think it would be nice. The examples in this thread are gorgeous. They're little pieces of art.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Movable cameras are way overused, especially when controller layouts limit you to either have your thumb on the camera or your action buttons.

Give me fixed perspective any day. A modern game can never be as striking and memorable as a directed image.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope these types of pre rendered backgrounds are the next indie game craze, along with RE style fixed cameras.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's SO impressive it's not even funny. Games, especially at this point and even a while after, looked way better doing this than going for full 3D environments. They also framed scenes so beautifully compared to what a 3D camera might. It's sorta a lost or minor art.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I love the look of these backgrounds more than anything in the series before or since.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO what made these so good isn't necessarily the pre-rendered backgrounds, but the fixed camera itself. If a new game has real-time 3D backgrounds but fixed camera angles, that would be be dope to me (you could even have seamless transitions between the different angles, instead of fade-ins/fade-outs).