• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it?

• It will outsell Majora’s Mask

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • It will outsell MM and SS

Votes: 133 24.4%
  • It will outsell MM SS and WW

Votes: 141 25.9%
  • It will outsell all of them

Votes: 50 9.2%
  • It won’t outsell any of them

Votes: 169 31.1%

• Total voters

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
My guess is that it will at least sell 8 million.
I actually think we are looking at 10+ million though. That switch bump, along with the popularity of BotW, will carry it. Mark my words.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I think this game can break the 5 million barrier. It has the benefit of being on Switch, themed based on BotW and launch as their big holiday title.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it will outsell some of those games, I dont think it will outsell all of them, but some of them.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
people are really talking about 1 or 2 million in this thread?
1-2m?

Cadance of Hyrule probably did those numbers while being digital only

oh boy.....this is going to be one of those threads we "comeback" to isn't it?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
it will confortable outsell several of them.
HW on Wii U sold well, and the definitive edition (3rd release of the game) sold well.
This will have a multiplier effect.

That's not really how sales work. It's not going to have an exponential growth. Musou always has a sales ceiling.

Nov 15, 2018
Hyrule warrior deluxe didnt sell much even after Botw success. Right now in everyones eyes, this is just a Zelda/musuo spinoff. It won't sell like a main game unless marketed like a main game.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's the telling of the backstory to the latest widely-acclaimed entry in a legendary (pni) franchise filling the gap for a highly-anticipated sequel on the horizon on a highly-popular system with a consumer base that's never been larger.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't slide in somewhere in those rankings.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think people may be underestimating how effective the Breath of the Wild art style will be at drawing attention, along with the story connection. The past three releases of the first Hyrule Warriors have all had a distinctly spin-off quality to them, and not just because the gameplay is completely unlike an actual Zelda title. The shaky, non-canonical story never did HW any favors, and despite Zelda having no set art style for the franchise, HW still managed to look somehow not like a Zelda game. This game, which looks exactly like the most popular entry in the series and has a legitimate story connection to it, should prove much more successful than the first Hyrule Warriors. Combine that with Zelda's overall increased popularity since BotW and it should be able to do about as well as Link's Awakening (2019), which would put it over SS and MM, and over WW in the long term.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really how sales work. It's not going to have an exponential growth. Musou always has a sales ceiling.
The IP is powerful enough to overcome it. I mean HW broke that sales ceiling and is the highest selling one.

this will break it even more on a successful console and marketed as a prequel to BotW with that art style. As well as releasing during the holidays

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think Nintendo would slot this into the Black Friday slot if it wasn't fairly confident about its potential.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think people may be underestimating how effective the Breath of the Wild art style will be at drawing attention, along with the story connection. The past three releases of the first Hyrule Warriors have all had a distinctly spin-off quality to them, and not just because the gameplay is completely unlike an actual Zelda title. The shaky, non-canonical story never did HW any favors, and despite Zelda having no set art style for the franchise, HW still managed to look somehow not like a Zelda game. This game, which looks exactly like the most popular entry in the series and has a legitimate story connection to it, should prove much more successful than the first Hyrule Warriors. Combine that with Zelda's overall increased popularity since BotW and it should be able to do about as well as Link's Awakening (2019), which would put it over SS and MM, and over WW in the long term.
Agreed. HW wasn't a bad looking game or anything. Some character designs were pretty suspect, overall it was fine, but still despite that it had an overall and very distinct feel of being a spin-off and one not handled by Nintendo.

AoC looks identical to BotW and that's going to go a long way in getting people to take it seriously. Plus everything else going for it being a canon prequel, the main title for Nintendo this holiday, etc.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
This clearly isn't being positioned as a regular musou game, both by Nintendo and KT.
(What is the ceiling on Musou's anyway? I don't know the highest selling DW on hand. Whatever it is, this will be assumed to do more.)

regardless, low Zelda isn't some crazy barometer We're not talking 10 million.
Link's Awakening has already outsold several 3D Zeldas, and almost every 2D Zelda. And it was a 2D remake.

3 and 4 million isn't much to overcome, so I don't get the posts acting like Zelda has been some insane seller

Either way, we won't wait too long at least.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
While I feel it's "just" a musou game, I feel like this will sell more than the first as how well BOTW sold, people are gonna buy it to wanna see more of the "past" Hyrule war.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I don't think so, but it'll come close enough. I imagine it'll break past every other Musou in terms of sales units, but I don't think it crosses much more than 3M because it being a Musou game means there will be a limit to how much it can sell. 2-3M is where I'd guess it'll land.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
y'all are definitely underestimating this game, that's for sure

3+ million seller, easily

Edit - ehhhh, maybe 2+ million, easily....but I expect it to hit 3 million lifetime.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. HW wasn't a bad looking game or anything. Some character designs were pretty suspect, overall it was fine, but still despite that it had an overall and very distinct feel of being a spin-off and one not handled by Nintendo.

AoC looks identical to BotW and that's going to go a long way in getting people to take it seriously. Plus everything else going for it being a canon prequel, the main title for Nintendo this holiday, etc.
the artstyle and story will be very important.

I mean, I would've gotten a hyrule warriors 2 anyway, but this approach has me more excited.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's THE November game for Switch and is directly tied to Breath of the Wild. Hell yeah it can.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Musou games have a pretty hard ceiling but who knows. Switch games keep breaking franchise records. So maybe the masses will show it some love.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Gotta love the hyperbole. Just because it has BOTW attached to its narrative won't make it a multi million seller.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Given the dearth of releases and when it is being released, yeah I would assume that it's going to do well. If it reviews like HW did though, I can't imagine it blowing up significantly.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule warrior deluxe didnt sell much even after Botw success. Right now in everyones eyes, this is just a Zelda/musuo spinoff. It won't sell like a main game unless marketed like a main game.

FWIW, compare the number of views and likes of Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition announcement trailer compared to the 2 videos of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. The differences are staggering, even just a few hours after the reveal.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
No, but also none has been based on a 20M+ seller (soon!), tells a story within the lore of that game that that game doesn't tell but does hint at, and has gotten the November release spot as the focal point of the holiday releases for Nintendo. That's a lot of extra push that this title gets.
I'm probably in just for the story elements. Hopefully the game exceeds my relatively low expectations.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I feel like a *massive* number of people who pick this up this year will never have heard the term Musou before, and possibly never will.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
people are really talking about 1 or 2 million in this thread?
1-2m?

Cadance of Hyrule probably did those numbers while being digital only

oh boy.....this is going to be one of those threads we "comeback" to isn't it?

I don't want to rule it out because Nintendo games can often surprise people, but I would be shocked if it does anything remotely on par with Nintendo's big hitters (Mario, Zelda, MK, AC, Splatoon etc). This is from someone who usually laughs at people who say games like Animal Crossing wont easily beak 20 M.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will definitely pass some of those, and honestly anything below Ocarina probably isn't safe. I don't think it will bear Ocarina, but it has a lot going for it...

-It's based off BoTW
-BoTW seems to have expanded the Zelda franchise
-It's releasing one the Switch, which has been a monster moving software
-It's releasing in the Prime holiday slot
-Switch has a ton of momentum this year
-It will get plenty of push from Nintendo

Will be interesting to see where it ends up, but I think it could hit 6m WW sales over its lifetime.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
considering how thirsty peeps are for Nintendo brand Switch games... it's probably gonna outsell them all combined. lol

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to rule it out because Nintendo games can often surprise people, but I would be shocked if it does anything remotely on par with Nintendo's big hitters (Mario, Zelda, MK, AC, Splatoon etc). This is from someone who usually laughs at people who say games like Animal Crossing wont easily beak 20 M.
This thread is just about outselling some 3D Zeldas.
3-4 million for the low entries
not doing Mario and Mario Kart and AC numbers 20m+

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Hyrule Warriors games are so different than mainline Zeldas that I could see plenty of people who are first in line to pick up mainline games just going 'meh' to yet another musou game.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
I don't know...
I've never played a Musou, but the tie in to BotW feels like a pretty fucking great idea to me, because I sure am interested!

And honestly I miss playing games on my Switch this year.
I'm interested too. I've never played a musou either because they didn't appeal to me but the fact this is a prequel to BOTW, I have to get it.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
My initial intuition is that I don't think it will outsell any of these.

But, there's 2x as many Switches as N64s out there, and nearly 3x as many as GameCubes. So, there's plenty of room for the long tail to catch it.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Has any mosou game had a real western ad campaign before? One that targets the general public for the holiday season? Because this one will.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I think you can scrape to 3-3.5 million on the back of story tie ins but the number of people who actually want to play a Musou is low.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
1 + million only. I think it won't reach 2 millions.
If the first one could sell 1 million on a 10 million userbase, I think this one could at least sell 5 million on a 70 million userbase. Factor in the fact that it is being tied to BOTW and will no doubt be promoted and pushed as a prequel to BOTW, it should sail past the first one.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
This. It looks flashy and fun. It's not exactly offputting, the genre has just barely been attached to strong IPs before.
well side note, I think the genre has actually been attached to some strong IPs for a while, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, One Piece. Especially for Japan. (AoT)
But the genre has never been directly heavily connected to a game like BOTW before. (Nintendo even appears to be directly helping out too.)

if it was the same graphics and artstyle as HW1, Cia is still the main thing, story was in the background, and the cutscenes were just standard KT motioncapped stuff with grunts and textboxes, and they just threw in some champions to play around, then sure, give it a couple million in sales.

Sep 29, 2019
I don't think it will break these many copies, to be honest. Musou isn't big genre, and people are aware that this is a "spin-off" (spin-off not in story, but in gameplay, of course). I think it will sell more than 3.5m though.