• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Technically the industry seems healthy, but I feel like recently too many things are happening at once and everyone is chasing some imagined unicorns (mostly the elusive Fortnite audience and people who watch games rather than play them).

Google, Apple and MS going full deck with streaming.
Sony banking on traditional approach (I guess?).
PC might actually turn into console like landscaoe with rival stores and exclusives.
Nintendo doing their own thing for better or worse.

Am I overthinking this? I just have this feeling something bad is looming around, once everything materializes.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and Nintendo will be the last one standing again lol

And sega will get back into consoles

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I think the monitization of streaming games could cause this. If every game is paid based on time played, every game will chase that dollar with huge, grindy, endless games. That can't be sustainable.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I think we need both traditional and innovative gaming. The moment we choose one or the other we run the risk of loosing it all.

I believe that's what made the PS4 so successful, but I'm not sure tbh.

Netflix killed blockbuster for abvious reasons and no one misses block buster anymore.

I next gen consoles should foster towards physical and continue to push Netflix gaming , and let the consumer decide where to spend their money.

Time will tell.

Lol I just realized I'm just stating a bunch of abvious facts while thinking to myself self im saying something smart.

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a shift but no crash.
Maybe Nintendo, Sony, or Xbox drop out with a new comer, maybe a shift to streaming, or maybe we'll stay the same for the next 10 years

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Your typical economic crash...no

Many indie developers and companies going out of business... yes (already happening now)

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The year is 2040, the new console giants are the Kroger Konsole and the McDonald's Monocle.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Technically the industry seems healthy, but I feel like recently too many things are happening at once and everyone is chasing some imagined unicorns (mostly the elusive Fortnite audience and people who watch games rather than play them).

PC might actually turn into console like landscaoe with rival stores and exclusives.

Am I overthinking this? I just have this feeling something bad is looming around, once everything materializes.
Nope

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming will probably be a nice advertisement for local hardware lol. People who normally don't buy consoles will try streaming and enjoy the games but then will hate how limiting it is and the latency and image quality so they'll opt for buying their first console.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AAA games yes

Industry as a whole no

Ye

Budgets continue to rise and rise, base prices for games don't. The risk of failure thus grows larger and larger as we keep progressing.

It only takes a couple of proper high-profile underperforms, akin to Anthem(which despite what the #1 NPD will tell you, is majorly behind expectations and likely didn't recoup costs with how gigantic its marketing budget was), to massively damage a company now.

A lot of big companies are coasting on the fact that most games are quality and recieved well, but the failures will hit hard and fast unless the industry decides to finally stop its deathgrip on pursuing higher and higher fidelity hyper realistic graphics which are inflating budgets massively.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Not the entire industry, i can see nintendo avoiding a crash and Indies and middle tier devs come unharmed.

Actually, the big 3 pretty much are safe, Sony and Microsoft won't go down as long as they're still backed by their parent companies, basically the only thing crashing will be third party devs who live on AAA games.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will probably be a nice advertisement for local hardware lol. People who normally don't buy consoles will try streaming and enjoy the games but then will hate how limiting it is and the latency and image quality so they'll opt for buying their first console.

Secret agent Phil reporting to Kaz as we speak

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
People keep asking if we're in for a crash because YouTubers keep saying there will be one, but random angry men online have never understood business that well.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
yDeAdhORDPGnHqoNogtyC7N-FDyKRbmQ35jtY_TV02o.jpg

On a more serious note, a contingent of the indie dev people are very much worried about what this year has in store for them, believing this is the year things will come crashing down.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
a big problem in first crash was the companies weren't really all that big. the market was also flooded with crap games.

all this happened before computers were on the market and when games were simple. it isn't facing nearly the same issues today. the issue today is game budgets have gone nuts and depend on multi million sales.

difference is, google and MS are a couple of the most powerful companies on the planet. Sony, while weakened over the last decade is still a very very large company. The only risk is a potential souring of the market on companies. People just need to get out of the AAAA loop

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
A AAA crash feels in-the-making but frankly things could just shift over time there could be unforeseen changes or AAA could just wither away.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
People in the UK will buy a streaming console, realise their Internet is way too shit for it to be a better experience than the £199 console they bought in a Black Friday sale and sell it at CEX within a month.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Ehh no, it isn't likely. However, I think only a few companies will be able to afford big AAA superproductions, and those will probably be even more formulaic than they're now

Oct 26, 2017
AAA gaming possibly. Gaming as a whole - no.

AAA gaming seeks ever increasing profits from an ever shrinking pool. GaaS causes people to stick with one or two titles, limiting their purchases as such.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
No crash, but growth will level off in the AAA space while independent development carries more and more weight. When Nintendo has directs focused solely on indies, you know the value of "smaller" experiences has grown massively.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It definitely does feel like a bunch of cloud streaming services are going to drop at roughly the same time.
I can see that having negative effects.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I don't think the "going down too many avenues at once" is actually a problem. The amount people play games and the different types of games has grown, and sure, that will ease off there's definitely a maximum saturation point, but... mobile and VR sure didn't kill off console gaming. Console gaming didn't even end up killing PC! All those different markets seem to be going fairly strong. Variety seems great to me.

Plus, it shouldn't matter so much to consumers which major console companies, retailers, or publishers come and go. They aren't what defines the games industry.

For me I think I see a crisis developing because of exploitative monetisation/design practices (which will either be criminalised or put gamers off of games), escalation of spending (and expecting bigger returns against the aforementioned saturation problem). I do agree with you on the "unicorn chasing" as well. To put it broadly, many people are looking at games as a way to make big money fast and burn goodwill and developers trying to find that "big minecraft/fortnite/GTA/whatever payout" I think we are seen as a trendy rags-to-riches industry and being gutted by people who couldn't give less of a shit about good games.

I believe Jim Sterling has a valuable perspective on the industry as a whole, even if I don't always agree with his taste in games ;)

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Apple isn't doing a streaming service, PC isn't going to become a console like landscape, and no the industry isn't going to crash.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Crash was mostly a US thing in 1983 as well though the US was the biggest market and had the biggest names attached so it wasn't nothing like some people sometimes try to pass it off as. It's unlikely there will be an industry wide crash.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff's always changing, but I feel pretty confident nothing in particular that people like or dislike is going away within the next 4 years. Companies will go out of business, as usual. New companies will be formed.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
No, gaming is not a new thing anymore, it's bigger than Hollywood.

What might happen is that old fashioned gamers like me, who want to play single player games with a beginning and an end have to search a little bit harder between all the GAAS garbage (only garbage imo, not for a lot of other people), but a bigger industry means that there will always be some developers that want to bring such an experience to others, even if it means not getting all the money, but just enough money.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, but not for these reasons. There will be an AAA crash because of spiralling development costs and ever bigger budgets, a few large games having a monopoly on the GAAS genre, and the industry's incapability to retain staff due to terrible working conditions.

No, gaming is not a new thing anymore, it's bigger than Hollywood.

The idea that gaming is 'too big to fail' is ridiculous.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The idea that gaming is 'too big to fail' is ridiculous.

No, it isn't. Do you see Hollywood failing anytime soon? I'm not saying that because I like the way things are going, I'm being objective.
This industry is not going to crash. (Entertainment and banks are not under the same economic rules, if you're talking about "too big too fail". :) )

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how gaming could possibly crash at this point. The 5 biggest publishers could disappear overnight and there would be someone ready to fill their shoes almost immediately. The market is too varied and gaming is too popular in general these days for it to ever really crash.

The streaming wars will be interesting. There is going to be a lot of competition there in the next few years, and by big new players as well. It will affect traditional consoles but I don't think it's going to kill them anytime soon. I'm not convinced these streaming gaming services are actually going to catch on, at least not until 5g cell networks are readily available.

The PC storefront exclusives thing is going to slow down eventually too. Epic/Tencent isn't going to keep spending big on exclusives forever, and once they stop everything is going to pop up on Steam once again because they still control 90% of the market.

Oct 27, 2017
The industry had one crash almost 40 years ago. People have predicting another one for the last 30. It can contract in some ways, it can go up and down, publishers and devs of all sizes are not immune from going out of business, but there's no particular reason to think something "big is around the corner" any more than the last 30 years of corners.