• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I personally had a slow start with the game, but right now I´m enjoying it like crazy and putting hours and hours in it like nothing (I´m in holidays too :D). I´m creating a level at the moment and its super absorbing: adding or deleting stuff, playing and replaying your level to refine the details, thinking about how the players would interact with the elements in different situations... I just realised how deep you can think about the design of your level and the infinite possibilites at your disposal. Maybe this is part or cause of the success of the game.

My professional future is not clear at all at the moment and I´m thinking in leaving my actual job position and look for another one. I´ve always wanted to create videogames and I ve been looking for good videogame design manuals recently.

In this personal context, Ive come up with the question of the title. Not only SMM2, but other games like Little Big Planet or Dreams (of course) bring you the possibilty of creating your levels and maybe show that you have great ideas when designing. I know this is not realistic at all in the present but... could these games be considered like accepted way of showing your design skills in a professional context?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing your application would get laughed straight into the garbage if you included your Mario Maker 2 level as your main example of experience.

Dreams creators I would imagine have a chance of getting hired somewhere. Especially the 3d artists and modelers

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I know a handful of Media Molecule devs were hired directly due to their LPB levels.

In an interview, Ted Price of Insomniac also said they hired someone because of their LBP levels.

Dreams also seems like an even greater portfolio tool.

But getting into game dev with only created content in those games would be a long shot, but it seems like a great complement.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think so ... but the simpler the tool the better/more out of box you have to be to show it up

In other words, if you are not doing stuff like that FPS Maze from Mario Maker 2, forget it

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I can see those tools having a place as an interesing complement for the rest of your portfolio, but useless as the main thing you are showing. Powerfull mod tools like the ones people make for bethesda games are a whole different story, though. I can see the later holding much more value.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Maybe if you're applying for a platforming developers role. For example applying for Team Cherry, where you're wanting to show off your platforming designs and you explain your thinking/direction behind the designs. I'd only see it as a complimentary thing for your portfolio... So probably nothing more than that. Dreams tho, definitely.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
I actually heard a few developer colleagues saying that mods and current game design/level design work done in MM2, OW Workshop and MM games (LBP & Dreams) are great addition to your portfolio.
Obviously, having only these is not great, but it's a good start to explore what you can do, and then jump into a proper engine to get some good experience with them.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I know someone who showed some of their Lunar Magic created Mario World levels when applying for a job in the industry. It wasn't the only thing they demonstrated, but it was a good addition and they did end up getting the job.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Maybe if it's something like dreams or you're modder. You'd probably need more than just Mario Maker

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The creator of Snake Pass said in an interview that he got discovered because of his Little Big Planet levels.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dreams yes, Mario Maker? Nope.

You could also mod Skyrim or Source Engine games, that gets you hired as well.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
As someone with zero experience on the hiring process of the gaming industry my opinion is not worth much, but here is how I would approach the situation:

Mario Maker Levels could be ok as long as it's supported by other more "substancial" projects as well as tied in directly with the requirements of the role you applied there.

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Mario Maker is a so so bad example, it's a level maker, not a game maker.
Just as a counter point, most game companies have different roles for different employees, and guess what? Some of those roles is level editing. Very rarely are game companies have people who do everything. With all (that I'm aware of), games being made on game engines, the role of a designer is actually making levels... You use the tools that the game engine provides, and make a compelling gameplay experience. In some engines/games, that would require scripting, in others it would be pick/placing of pre-made objects/scripts.

Back to the question, I would say, having exclusive mario maker levels as your portfolio is probably not ideal, and especially if you're going in cold. However, say if you are already in the company, as a QA Tester, and you have networked with the game designers, showing your potential with mario maker levels, I could totally see that landing you a design role.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if you were in grade school and there was some special internship for little kids to experience what it's like to work at a game developer. You know, like a program to deter kids from the industry so that they go to medical school or something.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
As the *only* thing in your portfolio? Probably not unless it's a super junior position like QA and you want to demonstrate some added skills. But if you're hiring level designers and it's in addition to some UE4 / Unity work and it's a really good level, sure.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Maybe if you were in grade school and there was some special internship for little kids to experience what it's like to work at a game developer. You know, like a program to deter kids from the industry so that they go to medical school or something.
Jesus the hostility here.

On topic I don't think there's a way for it to be your portfolio but it's a good way to get "reach" and vision share with people. It's a good accessory or side thing to have, but with the lack of working in engine or programming anything it will never be valid enough to contribute to a real job in the industry.

It shows that you have good taste in making levels maybe, but without programming experience or a nother technical skill the competition will win over your portfolio every time.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Dreams would have been a better choice for your title. Now most replies are just going to be about how Dreams is an obvious and better example (which it is).

Oct 26, 2017
Hello, I'm a developer!

I'd say in all likelihood, no. Unless your level happened to be super-super popular, it probably wont make much difference. What is more important and more valuable to an employer is your ability to use and make creations with standard industry tools (Depending on your discipline Unreal, Unity, Max, Maya etc.).

It certainly wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't lead with it. Get out there and download some of the above for free, and start messing around! Use Mario Maker as a springboard for your passion and then get stuck into something you've created all by yourself! (And feel free to use asset-store packs if you aren't confident with art/code etc.)

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say something like Dreams, RPG Maker, or Game Maker would be far better at this than Mario Maker would be.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to apply for a level design role on a platformer, it would be a great addition yeah, but you'd probably need other stuff in your portfolio.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I think some of you are being far too dismissive of the idea. Sure, only as a portion of a portfolio, but if you had a large number of popular, highly thought of and actually good quality levels in something like Mario Maker 2 it'd probably look nice. Particularly if you were applying for a job where you'd be doing platformer level design.

I think something like a very creative, full-package Super Mario World romhack would look better though.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Anything that shows your creativity, flair and personal qualities is a useful thing for your portfolio, so sure. But it's not something to solely rely on.

It doesn't show any technical skill or aptitude which employers would be looking for and I wouldn't put it into my main portfolio per say, but what it would show is passion, a genuine interest in video-game creation, and most importantly personal development. Use it as a starting point. "I loved how creative I could be with Mario Maker and wanted to explore level design even more." And then do just that, learn more advanced tools and that's how you'd fill your portfolio. That'd look good to any employer. It shows you have drive and are willing to learn and progress.

A lot of people have a kind of 'blog' in tandem with their portfolio. I'd put it in there. But your actual portfolio will need a lot more substance than just Mario Maker.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
OP, once I'm finished with my PhD I really want to learn programming myself ;)

The most important thing is that you have found a new passion. Passions are what drive us forward and maybe you will have caught that fire which will lead you to learn new stuff. I do think you'd have to go the hard way and actually learn coding and programming, but how different would it feel now that you know for what you put the effort in? ;)

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe if you are that guy that created a working calculator in MM2, sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Modding absolutely yes, see all source engine games that came out from Half-life and the big Skyrim mods.

Publisher will give 0 fucks about some levels in Super Mario Maker in your portfolio.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, absolutely! But context is key.

A good portfolio of creative work helps you showcase your thought process, creative problem solving, and the application of industry best practices alongside your own individual style.

If anyone in this thread is seriously considering doing this, I have two strong pieces of advice for you:
  • Don't just link the level, make sure you assume that the person looking at your work has no context and provide that context yourself; walk them through your own thought process, provide photos or video footage, include your notes (Kojima's design notes for MGS should be remarkable to anyone: https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/kojima-finds-vintage-metal-gear-design-documents/), showcase the areas of your work you are proud of, visualize the stages of development, and talk about the peers you learned from or the limitations you needed to overcome
  • Don't just focus on one style of game; a portfolio comprised of just Mario Maker levels means that you are really good at Mario Maker, but including your work in a different set of tools helps convey that your creative skills transfer between mediums AND you can learn/appreciate the difference between them. This is huge because chances are you'll need to pick up and learn someone else's proprietary software.
I'm not in game development but look at other people's creative portfolios as part of my professional duties and would be happy to give pointers :)

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I personally had a slow start with the game, but right now I´m enjoying it like crazy and putting hours and hours in it like nothing (I´m in holidays too :D). I´m creating a level at the moment and its super absorbing: adding or deleting stuff, playing and replaying your level to refine the details, thinking about how the players would interact with the elements in different situations... I just realised how deep you can think about the design of your level and the infinite possibilites at your disposal. Maybe this is part or cause of the success of the game.

My professional future is not clear at all at the moment and I´m thinking in leaving my actual job position and look for another one. I´ve always wanted to create videogames and I ve been looking for good videogame design manuals recently.

In this personal context, Ive come up with the question of the title. Not only SMM2, but other games like Little Big Planet or Dreams (of course) bring you the possibilty of creating your levels and maybe show that you have great ideas when designing. I know this is not realistic at all in the present but... could these games be considered like accepted way of showing your design skills in a professional context?
Sorry to crush your dreams OP I know you wanted to put your supa dupa Mario Maker 2 level on your resume but unless you got a working calculator or something cool the chance of you getting hired on that is virtually 0.

Download UE4 or if you want a lower barrier get Dreams.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordinarily no, but if you created something so good that it was recognized by the community in some substantial way then it might be of note. For example, hypothetically if you had a large fan folllowing dedicated to you based on your Mario maker levels an employer might find that interesting because you have been validated, but ordinarily I would never mention these on a resume.

I'd recommend downloading unity or ue4 and making your own things as these skills will be more relevant

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about Mario Maker, but PC mods have lead people to design jobs in the past, I remember reading about a company that used the Aurora Toolset as a way to interview job applicants, they needed to make a complete Neverwinter module as part of their portfolio.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I think it could be, but not as a focus. If you were modding games and adding some deep depth to them as you do so, like the KOTOR 2 Restored Content team for example, that could be a featured point.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What's up with all these people saying no?
SMM is very valid portfolio content. The most important aspect of level design portfolios is that you're able to speak intelligently to your decisions. The medium doesn't matter as much, especially for an entry level job.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, absolutely! But context is key.

A good portfolio of creative work helps you showcase your thought process, creative problem solving, and the application of industry best practices alongside your own individual style.

If anyone in this thread is seriously considering doing this, I have two strong pieces of advice for you:
  • Don't just link the level, make sure you assume that the person looking at your work has no context and provide that context yourself; walk them through your own thought process, provide photos or video footage, include your notes (Kojima's design notes for MGS should be remarkable to anyone: https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/kojima-finds-vintage-metal-gear-design-documents/), showcase the areas of your work you are proud of, visualize the stages of development, and talk about the peers you learned from or the limitations you needed to overcome
  • Don't just focus on one style of game; a portfolio comprised of just Mario Maker levels means that you are really good at Mario Maker, but including your work in a different set of tools helps convey that your creative skills transfer between mediums AND you can learn/appreciate the difference between them. This is huge because chances are you'll need to pick up and learn someone else's proprietary software.
I'm not in game development but look at other people's creative portfolios as part of my professional duties and would be happy to give pointers :)
This seems like a good answer. I'm sure you could have some Mario Maker stuff as a supplemental part of a portfolio (especially for getting in with a smaller indie team who wants to make platformers), but I don't think you're gonna get a job purely on Mario Maker levels.