• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will EA get the respect and reputation of Capcom one day?

• Yes

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 100 86.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
EA has been aggressively hated for the past several years. Winning worst company of the year awards, getting in the news for bad business practices, But for the past year or so, they've been off the internet hate radar.

They've gotten rid of loot boxes and paid DLC in most of their games, gave us games like Apex Legends, Titanfall 2 is doing well, Need For Speed: Heat was good and didn't have MTX issues, Jedi Fallen Order was a quality game and they didn't go back on their MTX promises.

They've seemingly started to care about their reputation. And in the last year, people have started to see Activision Blizzard and other compaines in worse light.

So my question is, like Capcom who was once hated and then turned it all around to become a company respected by people, do you see EA becoming like Capcom one day?

Imagine how weird that would be. People respecting EA on the internet.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, anything is possible but unlike Capcom, EA is still making big money.

They got a giant safety net in FIFA

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Capcom was never really hated as much as they were just disappointing to follow

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
No. Its mainly because of the corporate culture in America as compared to in Japan and the huge difference in business ethics between the two countries aside from the huge difference in the morals between the leading people in-charge of the two companies.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
There's a lot more continuity in terms of staff and creators at Capcom than there is at EA and that is an understatement. So while I think EA might open up to more single player prestige titles it won't be quite the same as the Capcom renaissance.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anything is possible.

They have a LOT of work to do, however, but I do admit that for a time I really enjoyed EA games. Mass Effect 2, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Brutal Legend, The Saboteur, Dragon Age: Origins...

I thought Capcom was lost, but they're back. Time will tell.

Capcom was never really hated as much as they were just disappointing to follow
When did we hate capcom?
Oh, we did. Capcom was notorious as some of THE worst nickel-and-dime DLC schemers for at time. They went nuts charging extra money for everything from cheat codes in Dead Rising to difficulty modes in Mega Man to basic color swaps in ports of Marvel vs Capcom 2 to friendly fire in Resident Evil 5 to the real ending of of games like in Asura's Wrath to tons and tons of massive on-disc content locked behind paywalls (like 1/3rd of the roster of Street Fighter x Tekken being finished on launch discs at release, but locked behind additional DLC paywalls). They went NUTS with it.

They've backed off significantly but, whoo boy, they were finding anything and everything to could find to turn into DLC, even if many of those things were often basic features or modes player's expected.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
No. Its mainly because of the corporate culture in America as compared to in Japan and the huge difference in business ethics between the two countries aside from the huge difference in the morals between the leading people in-charge of the two companies.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any Battlefield game for any system, nor will they purchase any of EA's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EA has alienated an entire market with this move.

EA, publicly apologize and revive your old franchises or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like EA was begrudgingly lauded around 2007-2010. Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, DAO, ME/2, BFBC2, Burnout Paradise, Crysis,etc.

It could definitely happen again.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
EA is in a "bigger" business than Capcom, more focused on GaaS, so it probably won't have the love of places like this

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any Battlefield game for any system, nor will they purchase any of EA's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EA has alienated an entire market with this move.

EA, publicly apologize and revive your old franchises or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nice Try :D

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
EA has been aggressively hated for the past several years. Winning worst company of the year awards, getting in the news for bad business practices, But for the past year or so, they've been off the internet hate radar.

They've gotten rid of loot boxes and paid DLC in most of their games, gave us games like Apex Legends, Titanfall 2 is doing well, Need For Speed: Heat was good and didn't have MTX issues, Jedi Fallen Order was a quality game and they didn't go back on their MTX promises.

They've seemingly started to care about their reputation. And in the last year, people have started to see Activision Blizzard and other compaines in worse light.

So my question is, like Capcom who was once hated and then turned it all around to become a company respected by people, do you see EA becoming like Capcom one day?

Imagine how weird that would be. People respecting EA on the internet.

In the near future I doubt it because of the monumental task they would need to do to at least get a good isntallement to all the franchises they dabbled in.

The future will be wonderful. :)
I hope this means a new black white, C&C, spore- like and C&C is in the works. I'd also take empire at war remake, empire at war 2, BFME 2 HD version and BFME3.

Joke aside IMO only Dice and respawn have managed to get money from. My last EA game with the exception of titanfall 2 and battlefield 3 was dragon age 2.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I mean sure, maybe. But EA isn't in any financial position that they have to change tbh.

However I quite frankly think their management wasn't good this gen and that they can do way better in that regard.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to forget, but last generation they did some amazing shit. Mirror's Edge, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skate and Dead Space. Then you had amazing an amazing Battlefield spinoff in the Bad Company games. I don't think there's anything stopping them from doing that again.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Capcom actually gives a shit about making good games instead of just churning out GaaS like EA does, so no.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
They're very different companies. Capcom's investors aren't expecting them to be the biggest publisher in the world, and alot of their strong IP like Resident Evil and DMC are single player games, which bubbles like ours will appreciate.

EA needs to make as much money as humanly possible, Multiplayer shooters and MTX are the best way of doing that, If there's a developer thats making something other than a multiplayer shooter with MTX then it's not the best use of their time. Which bubbles like ours will not appreciate.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
No, because they aren't failing like Capcom was in the late PS3 era. They don't have to change anything to make money.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem was a failure, Battlefield V playerbase is dwindling (I've noticed the matchmaking times getting worse and worse on PS4) and it seems like they released an update messing with TTK and auto-spotting that upset their playerbase, Titanfall 2 got a much needed boost and recognition thanks to the PS+, Apex was developed outside of EAs control and without Frostbite engine that is arguably the best feeling and handling BR title, Star Wars was another Respawn title, and I can't comment to NFS Heat as I haven't played it.

If all games were made like how Respawn makes them, I can see it. But it seems like Respawn is the exception rather than the norm as both BioWare and DICE have had lackluster titles in recent times.

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot wait for the Inafune arc where EA aggressively outsources some of their well known but not biggest IPs to eastern studios, followed up by a Dead Space nÂş9 crowdfunding by some ex-employees.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
EA is everything the video game industry should never be. I am glad I haven't bought a single EA game for the past 8 years, and I'm pretty sure I won't buy shit from them for another century.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Capcom has the benefit of a lot of well-liked, unique, storied franchises, and a huge back catalog to fall back on. I don't think EA's library has nearly the same value, huge as it may be. A lot of the stuff they own is 90s PC stuff that just isn't as well known, or is in genres that don't play as well today. You look toward the fan appetite for EA stuff, and it's largely around a handful of 360-era franchises, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Skate. You could do rereleases of those, make Skate 4, and have Dragon Age 4 be good and reboot Mass Effect well, and that would be good, but it's not really on par with the breadth Capcom can offer when they're firing on all cylinders.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Sure they can, their list of IP's is tremendous. They will have to get past their current bad image but anyone that has the Mass effect IP can come out of that hole. They just need to have the will.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are funny. There's absolutely no denying the extent of the influence in the gaming market EA had through the decades.

Apr 21, 2018
EA represents capitalist gluttony, only interested in making as much money as possible by any means necessary. They have doubled down on loot boxes, mtx, and whale hunting. They release new sports entires with nothing but roster updates. They don't make great games. Has there been a single great EA game all generation? No.

Capcom, during every generation, made good games.

EA can go bankrupt for all I care.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, EA is a very prolific publisher with a huge number of great games released to their name. They honestly have Capcom beat or matched, IMO. They certainly have a more consistent roster of franchises as well, considering their yearly sports output.
Over the last two decades was any of it positive?
Yes, yes it was lol what sort question is this? Do you really honestly hate every game EA released since the year 2000? I'd hate to be you of that's the case.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are about due for a leadership change at EA so who knows what the future holds.

I just dont expect many changes with the current drivers.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's always going to be cool to hate EA on places like ERA.
I would MUCH rather EA pull a Capcom than go out of business.

And, yeah... didn't EA just give us a pretty awesome single-player, high-production value Star Wars game nominated for many GOTY awards with no microtransactions of live service crap?

Credit given where credit is due. That's what people were asking for and that's what EA gave us.

I would be VERY happy if they kept doing that.