• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 24, 2018
So since EVO this year, I've been thinking on how Yu-Gi-Oh could work as a fighting game after seeing a passing reference to that somewhere else on the internet. While the idea seemed silly at first, I started to think how easily you could modify the rules to make it a good and unique fighting, same way Dungeon Dice Monsters did for board games. I've made some rough ideas:

1. Customizable avatar or using one of the many classic characters from the many Yu-Gi-Oh series like Seto Kaiba, Mai Valentine, Judai Yuki, Kite Tenjo, Yusei Fudo and of course Alex Brisbane who appears at the intro of each duel, your avatar in story mode your banner for online matches.

2. Duel fights are 5v5 each (get it because that the max number of monsters your usually allowed to have) and the stage are bigger then usual fighting game stages to accommodate some of the monsters (max 3 of the same monster) larger sizes, the 5v5 gameplay and the following gimmick.

3. Along with your five monsters, you also are allowed to have 5 support cards, aka Traps and Spell cards to use during the match like say temp equip card Lightning Blade, Swords of Revelling Light to stop the opponent for 3 of their opponents actions or movements, Spell or Trap Jammer to block a single opponents support card or even Mirror Force, Magical Hats, Scapegoat or Negate Attack (only one of card per game). Yes you could switch this off for Tournament play.

4. Stages themselves based of Famous locations from the many series and the Field Spell cards.

5. The reason for this fighting game like setting is it being an in-universe VR game made by Kaiba Corp that has been hacked into and corrupted by an evil outside Company or indievidual you as the avatar are trapped in the VR setting as a beta tester to stop them from the inside.

My biggest problems is the control scheme (not much of an issue for Keyboards and for Controllers, I was thinking of using the rarely using right joystick to let you select your monsters and cards in battle) and the series Dragon problem, the fact that the Yu-Gi-Oh has so many popular dragons, how do you make sure they all play uniquely from each other and don't take up half the roster.

Do you have your own ideas on how a Yu-Gi-Oh fighting game could would work or believe it just can't be done?

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Give me a Yu-Gi-Oh! game that handles like Tekken or Soul Calibur and my life is complete.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I would like it to be like MvC. That way you could have easily big rosters with the ability to have like 2-3 characters in your team, each with unique assists and team special moves. Your avatar (yugi, kaiba, whatever) could give you some sort of special buff or unique meters. I think it should focus on the first card game season - that would counter the "too many dragons" at first (also I want to play Pegasus and relinquished).

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Any IP can work as a fighting game just as long as the game engine and design are both solid. There's even a MLP inspired Fighter out there.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean pretty much just having the main monsters the fighters would be good enough for me with other cards being like assists and such.