• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Including elderlies, a cancer patient and children
www.newswest9.com

North Texas family shaken after 18 relatives test positive for COVID-19 following family gathering

Three were hospitalized, including two elderly family members and one woman battling breast cancer.

That nephew is the one who was unknowingly infected, thinking a slight cough was the byproduct of working in construction.

Fucked up
No mask
No social distancing
One guy didn't even attend the damn thing and is now on life support

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That nephew is the one who was unknowingly infected, thinking a slight cough was the byproduct of working in construction.

Jesus, so he assumed he had some other ailment that a doctor should check

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
"SURPRISE!" indeed. That's horrible. People are just thinking that because restrictions are loosening that we beat this thing, but really the government is just saying "we can allow xyz number of deaths at a rate of xyz if it means we can get the economy back up to collect taxes."

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And we only know about this story because the family member who didn't go to the party and is NOT an idiot and happens to be an EMT and married to a doctor is talking about it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Even though everyone did their best to stay socially distant, Barbosa said it wasn't enough.

d072dc76-70aa-4496-a3b7-01510e602447_1140x641.jpg

I really don't get people. I'm staying the fuck away from my family and my loved ones, because I'd never be able to forgive myself if they got sick after I visited them.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1 person infecting 18 how about that R0. It says the mom of one of the doctor's ONLY dropped off something at the party, but surely she stayed for a little to talk.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Even though everyone did their best to stay socially distant, Barbosa said it wasn't enough.

If you went to a "gathering" or a "party" and claim that you tried to socially distance, it should be assumed that you're fucking lying.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Yeah I don't think that party has any smidgen of social distancing applied judging by that picture... oh and of course no masks in sight.

Dearly hoping this would be the story that would get people to learn but I've lost count already of how many similar stories I put my hope into previously.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As usual, these people lack all forms of empathy until the problem directly affects them and their family members.

"OH! I guess this virus thing is a big deal!"

Yeah, your dad is now on life support, you fucking moron.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've done some very small outdoors gatherings with one or two other households, but it's always the same group that doesn't associate with anyone else. One of us ending up contracting it, but the rest of us got tested and are fine. We were prepared for the potential that it could happen and knew we wouldn't spread it to anyone else.

That to me seems like the most reasonable way to approach this... big parties with people who are at risk are a different story.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Barbosa, who is also married to a doctor, said he and his wife refused to go to the party due to safety reasons.

However, it was a party that by current state health standards appeared harmless. A total of 25 people attended, and not all of them arrived and stayed for the same duration.

"When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it," Barbosa said. "We knew this was going to happen, I mean this whole time this has been going on we've been terrified."

Among those infected are two young children, two grandparents, a cancer patient and Barbosa's parents, who are in their 80s.

Three are now hospitalized: Barbosa's parents Frank and Carole, along with his sister Kathy, who is battling breast cancer.

Damn. So many in just 1 family.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is the person in the article and his wife are EMTs/Doctors and they refused to go to the party. The rest of the family did not listen to them. And screwed them over too.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully, stories like these would make folks take the virus more seriously.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is the person in the article and his wife are EMTs/Doctors and they refused to go to the party. The rest of the family did not listen to them. And screwed them over too.

Very few people are listening to experts right now. I know people who work on pandemics but their families are ignoring their advice.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe for a second that the people at the party were actually practicing social distancing at all, especially the idiotic nephew. That's the story given to the media to make them try to not look like complete morons. Look at that freaking picture. We were social distancing, I swear! I bet that guy was coughing the entire time and hugging everyone.

If you're indoors with people who you don't live with you need to be wearing a mask. I don't take any chances when I'm among my relatives for backyard visits. No physical contact. Very brief moments of being within 6 feet. Besides my mask, I bring my own spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone knows at this point how vulnerable older folks are to this thing. I just don't understand why you would risk things like this if you were going to come into contact with them.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I saw my parents for the first time in 4 months last weekend. We stayed outdoors the full time and were a full 10+ feet away from each other. That's the only way I would feel comfortable seeing people.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking heartbreaking that even the two family members who were smart enough not to go are being punished for their relatives' selfishness and stupidity.

My emotions keep swinging between poisonous "you idiots get what you deserve" contempt and grief for all the needless collateral damage.

Meanwhile, President Fuckface is charging along with his American Superspreader 2020 Tour.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking heartbreaking that even the two family members who were smart enough not to go are being punished for their relatives' selfishness and stupidity.

My emotions keep swinging between poisonous "you idiots get what you deserve" contempt and grief for all the needless collateral damage.

Meanwhile, President Fuckface is charging along with his American Superspreader 2020 Tour.
Governors could easily ban those events, but they want to kiss the ring.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
We found out our next door neighbor has covid 2 days ago and yesterday I saw her dropping off letters into the mailbox on our street.

People are insane.

Last edited:

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I've done some very small outdoors gatherings with one or two other households, but it's always the same group that doesn't associate with anyone else. One of us ending up contracting it, but the rest of us got tested and are fine. We were prepared for the potential that it could happen and knew we wouldn't spread it to anyone else.

That to me seems like the most reasonable way to approach this... big parties with people who are at risk are a different story.

Underlined and bolded is exactly why this is risky. Everyone thought "we haven't associated with anyone else" but someone still got it. I've heard that line to rationalize small gatherings amongst my friends too. "Oh they've been real safe and cautious and haven't gone out"...except for the random chance that they did. We're not omniscient. There's no reason to assume that anyone is perfectly safe.

Happy to hear you ended up ok!

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I mean, obviously you shouldn't do this at all, but if you feel compelled to do it, at least do it outside, FFS. And, uh....if you have a cough, just go ahead and assume you have COVID and stay the hell away from people. It's not that hard.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Underlined and bolded is exactly why this is risky. Everyone thought "we haven't associated with anyone else" but someone still got it. I've heard that line to rationalize small gatherings amongst my friends too. "Oh they've been real safe and cautious and haven't gone out"...except for the random chance that they did. We're not omniscient. There's no reason to assume that anyone is perfectly safe.

Happy to hear you ended up ok!
Right. It happened after he went a protest and decided to get tested (we met up before the protest). Thing is, we all knew it was a potential, but we also knew our risk levels. We also shared what we had been doing to let everyone know. Some might call it dumb but we were just the unlucky group that this kind of thing happened to, and I think our distancing at that small gathering made a difference as well.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We found out our next door neighbor has covid 2 days ago and yesterday I saw her dropping off letters into the mailbox on our street.

People are insane.

When this first started, my grandfather who lives in Chicago's neighbor got it and was hospitalized. Their adult daughter who lived with them was told to isolate also, though she was showing no symptoms. The next day he saw a technician of some sort pull up to their house. No clue if the daughter was going to let them in or not, but my grandfather warned the dude and he got the fuck out of there.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is heart breaking. Why won't people just distance and wear a mask?

I'm going to assume the mother who stopped by actually went into the house for a bit or had physical contact with someone? The story almost makes it sound like she grabbed some stuff left on the porch and it spread to her that way.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
The most common scenario is transmission in a household.

If you get it, it's is very likely you'll infected your loved ones living together with you.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
this shit isn't going to go away. most of america is fucked. it's going to keep spiking unless we just are comfortable with letting people get sick and infecting others or governments institute face mask rules.

it is getting really bad in parts of Ohio now, especially here in Columbus/Franklin Co. due to idiots that can't not go to Florida or have to go to their stupid fuckin' happy hours. I'm really sick of the people in this awful country.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to interact with family members you better be sure you have take every precaution. And dont put that many people together in a room

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My family celebrated multiple birthday's this year during the pandemic, including my 90 year old grandfather. But because we're not irresponsible fucking morons, we did it over group chatting apps, and not in person because it turns out we live in an age where we can communicate and celebrate together without needing to be physically in the same place