• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about Nintendo choosing to omit costumes?

• I'm not buying it. I've been wary about the online stuff but this seals it.

Votes: 54 8.8%
  • I'll wait for a sale or for Nintendo to add the feature back in.

Votes: 39 6.3%
  • This is a really shocking omission but I love the other stuff too much to not buy it.

Votes: 194 31.5%
  • That sucks but it doesn't impact me, I'm no less excited.

Votes: 211 34.3%
  • I never cared for the costumes anyway

Votes: 118 19.2%

• Total voters

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Other people enjoying things they don't" lead to amiibo gated content like Wolf Link in BotW or harder difficulty modes in Samus Returns and TPHD. This is a terrible defense.

I'm sad to see the costumes go but also happy that amiibo exclusive content is being phased out. And yes I know you could unlock the costumes without Amiibos in SMM1, but it was a horrific unfun grind that I refuse to believe anyone actually did.
So you're fine with less content because of optional stuff in other games?

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
You guys, we're forgetting one real key detail.

Will Weird Mario return? Or is he gone as well?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't a huge deal for me but still seems like an unnecessary omission for those that really enjoyed making themed levels with these costumes.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This was honestly one of my favorite features in MM and gave the game so much personality with cool themed levels etc. Gutted, honestly.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My kids really enjoyed this in the first game. I don't think it's a deal breaker for me, but yeah, they'll notice it's gone.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling they'd be gone when I saw the multiplayer but this sucks

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
A shame no doubt but I'm willing to bet something is taking it's place, and even if not there's a lot to like about what we've seen with Mario Maker 2 so far. I can understand disappointment in the lack of online multiplayer with friends, but I think fears that this game will be objectively worse than the first don't have much weight yet.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Other people enjoying things they don't" lead to amiibo gated content like Wolf Link in BotW or harder difficulty modes in Samus Returns and TPHD. This is a terrible defense.

I'm sad to see the costumes go but also happy that amiibo exclusive content is being phased out. And yes I know you could unlock the costumes without Amiibos in SMM1, but it was a horrific unfun grind that I refuse to believe anyone actually did.
So you're happy there's less content in the game just because you didn't have it last time? Nice!

Gamers are such a sad bunch.

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect them to return in some form... maybe not at release, similar to how the Stage Creator in Smash Ultimate was patched in.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
So you're happy there's less content in the game just because you didn't have it last time? Nice!

Gamers are such a sad bunch.

There's more content in SMM2 than there was in SMM1 and none of it is locked behind paid DLC physical or otherwise. Yes, I'm happy about that.

It sucks the costumes didn't come back with a better unlock method but oh well.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was a neat feature for sure, but it's not essential. I'm not bothered by it being missing considering the amount of stuff that they added to the game more than makes up for it

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am actually more annoyed that Princess Peach and Daisy aren't playable and yet the toads are.

Unless you unlock them after finishing story mode...but I am not holding my breath.

So, this game is a downgrade...

It was a downgrade the moment they decided to tuck away playing other people's level behind the paywall.

You guys, we're forgetting one real key detail.

Will Weird Mario return? Or is he gone as well?

I doubt it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Understandable considering the work ... but they were super fun and made the original Mario Bros theme much more usable

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
They were neat, but I honestly won't miss them that much. Fully playable Toadette makes it up for me. However, I enjoyed unlocking them and I hope there's some kind of unlockable to replace them for replay value. Hopefully some unlockable Mario characters like Peach, Wario, etc, but I'm doubtful on that.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
They were neat, but I honestly won't miss them that much. Fully playable Toadette makes it up for me. However, I enjoyed unlocking them and I hope there's some kind of unlockable to replace them for replay value. Hopefully some unlockable Mario characters like Peach, Wario, etc, but I'm doubtful on that.

There's unlockable clothes for the Mii avatar.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No online with friends and now this... They were so cool. :<

kqbATfB_d.jpg

In Super Mario Maker 1 you can unlock them playing without amiibo.
Wow, this sucks hard

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm mainly upset that this removes the option to have a power up that gives Mario all his super attributes except for the bigger hitbox. I had a couple of levels in MM1 that relied on this.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Just thinking about it logistically, since there's multiplayer now, every sprite would need to be created with 4 color schemes.

Also, since levels can have mixed themes, then you'd have situations where you lose the custom mid-level etc.

It makes sense why they wouldn't include it

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's a real bummer to see amiibo get pushed further and further to the backburner. It's really looking more and more like they were just fillers in Nintendo's revenue shortfalls in the Wii U era. Oh well.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing, but it isn't a dealbreaker by any means for me. This game just offers so much more than the original game that I'm still really hyped for it.

As for amiibos, I think the writing is on the wall that the line is done once they finish releasing the Smash Bros. characters. There's been a notable drop off in figures being released and the number of supported games since last year.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking about it logistically, since there's multiplayer now, every sprite would need to be created with 4 color schemes.

Also, since levels can have mixed themes, then you'd have situations where you lose the custom mid-level etc.

It makes sense why they wouldn't include it
That shouldn't have been that much of an issue, it could be easily solved by giving characters a colored outline and/or a P1/P2/P3/P4 tag like in Smash. I guess it's more of an indication that this is the end for amiibo and they didn't want to include a feature that was focused around it.