• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to shop at Costco (I've been in them before, and they seemed nice), but our area doesn't have one. The closest to where I live is an hour and a half drive.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Costco is one of the best retailers honestly. My bro works there. Def a great place to work.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
they are actually raising everybody's pay 1 dollar starting in march not just raising the minimum to 16 from 15.

Yeah but how much are they going to raise the memberships? ;)

I joke but I do actually wonder if they just take this out of profits or they do something else to subsidize. That's got to be a ton of extra cost. But good on them.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I love Costco. I haven't been there much since the pandemic started because it's always crowded, but once I get my vaccine I will definitely be heading back in.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I worked for Costco for a couple summers many years ago, and they paid well above the minimum wage then as well. Nice to see they're still treating their employees right.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them(and for the employees). My parents get everything from costco, they seem to be overall a better place to be a worker than comparable giant retailers.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Nice, I thought they already paid that much but I guess not. Either way it's great that they're even going $1 more than the proposed legislation. They're essentially trying to pre-prove that it's doable.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
So the time and half on Sunday rumor is true?

It was when I worked there but that was a decade ago. I left for Apple retail because they had better pay and benefits than even Costco minus the sunday bonus. I think they're about the same now though with this bump. I always tell anyone working in retail to go after Apple or Costco.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 90% sure in FL you start out at $16 working at Costco. But good for them making it the standard.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Surely these companies have done the research. Paying people reasonable rates helps you actually keep the good ones that meet your internal performance metrics. Presumably, meeting those metrics makes you more efficient and successful

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Had an Aunt work at Costco a long time before retiring. Always liked going over there because their fridge was always stocked.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
We currently live in an area without a Costco (Rapid City, SD where we have a Sam's Club), but I'm looking forward to being back an an area with one.

I miss Costco.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yup, I love Costco. I try to go once a month to get groceries and other items from there. I'm so glad I've reduced my shopping to places like Walmart and Amazon.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
When I was working retail and go to school, I keep sending my resume to Costco. Never heard back though, lmao, not even a beep, but from everyone I know, Costco pay and benefit are really fucking sweet.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who has worked at Costco for three years now and she loves it so much. Constantly talks the company up with how they treat their employees so well. I'm sure she's happy to hear this, although I think she makes decent money already so it might not even affect her.

I could go for a Costco hot dog right now.....

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Costco seems to have already paid decently compared to their peers.

www.businessinsider.com

Costco employees reveal how much they really make

We used self-reported salary information from both PayScale and Glassdoor to take a closer look at what Costco Wholesale workers make.
Thats what I've heard anecdotally. And that Costco just went with the plan that its cheaper to retain people than pay them too little and have too much turnaround.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i cant find it any more, but there was this keynote going around about how costco operates compared to other retailers and it was really interesting

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
When i worked as a Deli Clerk a Costcos open up next door to our store. Kicked myself wondering why i didn't jump ship they treated their employees so much better.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Costco figured long ago that paying above a living wage was far cheaper than minimum wage hire/fire churn.
Why other companies don't follow this is beyond me.

it's costs more to hire and onboard, and terminate employee than paying someone higher wages.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
They treat their workers in a way that should be the bare minimum in this country. As a major retailer that means a lot to the local retail labor market. As a customer their return policy is unmatched. Also, I'm a big fan of their credit card. Always go cash over reward points. I flash them a rewards email once per year and they just start laying $1200 worth of 20s on the counter.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
My seven years of employment at Costco ended when I got into the games industry many moons ago.
I have nothing but GREAT things to say about Costco. No joke. Such a great place.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
great move and so sad that they're the outlier. there's no reason all these big corps making all this mega profit are often the most exploitative.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I believe all their employees also receive company sponsored healthcare so even before this raise they were receiving much better benefits than what the vast majority of retailers give hourly employees.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Surely these companies have done the research. Paying people reasonable rates helps you actually keep the good ones that meet your internal performance metrics. Presumably, meeting those metrics makes you more efficient and successful
This is literally the motto that they live by. I used to work at Costco for a couple years and from top to bottom, it definitely feels like everyone cares about their job because of the compensation received, whether that's pay or benefits. It goes a long way to improve the quality of life of your employees.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I was working in the Costco food court while in college about 4 years ago now.

on top of excellent pay and benefits, they give time and a half for working on Sundays. But boy do they put you to work. Hardest "fast food" job I've ever had. Costco can get insanely busy.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I am a Costco member and spend so much there is because they pay their people and give them benefits. That is the type of business I want to give my money to.