• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
New updated policy from Costco, prior, they only required guests to follow local rules about masks.

Face Mask Requirements
To protect our members and employees, effective May 4, all Costco members and guests must wear a mask or face covering that covers the mouth and nose at all times while at Costco. This requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2 or to individuals who are unable to wear a mask or face covering due to a medical condition.

The use of a mask or face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Is Costco the first nation wide retailer requiring masks?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So how many jokers will come in that day with a Darth Vader mask quoting 'May the fourth be with you'?

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I know of a few other companies that operate on different states (Giant eagle) that started this last week. But they had the backing of the PA order. This would be the first one to do it without a mandate in every state.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
When places impose this type of restriction, have they consider how people can buy mask in the first place?

I fully support mask and always wear one when going to a store now, but then I bought a few boxes in January so I have spares, I don't think many people do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
When places impose this type of restriction, have they consider how people can buy mask in the first place?

I fully support mask and always wear one when going to a store now, but then I bought a few boxes in January so I have spares,

There have been many news reports/guides/how tos to create your own masks, without even sewing or elastic. Mask is a very loose definition here. Even the notice says mask or 'face covering'

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Don't know if it's just regional, but you have to wear one to enter any grocery store, Target or bus here in the bay area. Been that way for couple weeks, but I've only seen them start enforcing it (aka refusing people without masks) this past week.

As an essential worker who has to ride the bus, it makes me feel a lot better when other passengers MUST wear one, instead of it being their choice. Sorry, you don't get to play games with my health. Wear a mask or just stay home until things settle down.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it's just regional, but you have to wear one to enter any grocery store, Target or bus here in the bay area. Been that way for couple weeks, but I've only seen them start enforcing it (aka refusing people without masks) this past week.

As an essential worker who has to ride the bus, it makes me feel a lot better when other passengers MUST wear one, instead of it being their choice. Sorry, you don't get to play games with my health. Wear a mask or just stay home until things settle down.
not a lot of requiring unless youre a worker here in Louisiana.

but the Governor making it effective this friday for all business that have walk in visitors/customers must wear a mask.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017

Likewise here in NYS, but unfortunately I don't think the stores around me are very strict about it. I totally understand not having medical grade masks (I certainly don't, using homemade stuff) but I saw a dude at the supermarket the other day with a napkin rubberbanded around the middle of his face. Couldn't believe it.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Good for Costco. I shop there on the regular because if their comparatively superior wages/benes and the fact they don't force any sort of uniform. This only makes me a bigger fan.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Trader Joe's does this too

You'd hope so considering when they were recently asked about lack of online ordering/curbside service their reasoning amounted to, "People just like coming into our stores!"

thetakeout.com

There’s a reason Trader Joe’s won’t let you order groceries for pickup or delivery

As both a crowd control measure and a safety precaution for essential employees, many grocery stores have begun offering grocery pickup and/or delivery during nationwide stay-at-home orders. Online ordering forms make it simple to select your items and choose a pickup window, and while you might...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Our super markets have all been doing this in Massachusetts for a few weeks, although I read recently that by law you can't be turned away at a supermarket if you don't have a mask unless the supermarket offer's free face coverings. None are doing that, so instead they're recommending people without masks contact the store and they'll have an employee shop for them.

State by state they'll likely run into laws preventing them from requiring this and turning shoppers away unless they can offer face coverings at the store, OR unless there's some exemption. Our super markets have pharmacies and provide essential service, so turning people away without masks brings up equity issues.

I went grocery shopping on ... Monday and 100% of people in the store were wearing masks.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ollie's also has done something similar nationwide, and I know in my state of CT all stores you walk into require a mask.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing this in my area anyway for all stores because of local policies.

Before the mask requirements I told my kids mother to just get some bandanas from the beauty supply store.

eh don't be so quick to give them props. many stores are removing the lines at the stores and are letting everybody in. you ain't gonna be able to enforce any social distancing when the store is jam packed with people.

Exactly. It never made sense if you didn't monitor how many were in the store.

Wal-Mart we went to yesterday does this. There were about 20 of us in line waiting to go in. The few Target's we went to doesn't monitor how many are in the store. Odd.

Last edited:

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Great news. They should be required in all stores and public places by now. Federal and local governments continue to fail to protect people by not making them mandatory, so it's up to individual businesses to do the right thing.

Wearing face masks in public is the new normal at least until we have a vaccine (and hopefully the practice continues indefinitely at least during flu season).

The sooner people realize this the better.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from Costco. The signs were there, but this isn't being enforced. Tons of people didn't have masked when I was shopping smh

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
although I read recently that by law you can't be turned away at a supermarket if you don't have a mask unless the supermarket offer's free face coverings.

I've heard this before as well. But if true...why? What about "no shirt, no shoes, no service". How is requiring a face mask any different than requiring a shirt or shoes?

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is how it's gonna have to be because governors like the one in Ohio are gonna have to far right pressure and not force this on people.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this before as well. But if true...why? What about "no shirt, no shoes, no service". How is requiring a face mask any different than requiring a shirt or shoes?

I think the facemask thing is because of equity issues at an essential business. Like if you get your Rx at your supermarket but don't have a face covering for whatever reason (cost, materials, who knows what) you need to still be able to get your medicine. Changes tomorrow anyway in MA, it becomes enforceable by law.

I also suspect that 'no shirt no shoes no service' isn't really enforceable by law if push came to shove.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they are serious about it. And I hope the idiots who want to fight it cancel their membership and go shop elsewhere. More parking spaces/less crowds for me to deal with.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
In my area most of the people already wear masks entering the store since a couple weeks ago, but now they got rid of the line outside I feel less safe than before since social distancing is impossible inside. Yet they constantly try to remind people to do social distancing over the speakers as if that's going to be effective...

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
cvtaar20mdw41.jpg

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Would like to see Kroger go in on this too-all the retailers want this (it protects their workers, and the company as a result), and if Kroger and it's huge chain of stores does this Wal-Mart will soon follow. It normalizes mask wearing and makes it easier for smaller businesses to follow suit and overall establish a cultural norm.