• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This happened a few days ago but it's been blowing up on Twitter. Basically, a cosplayer had a panic attack due to being overwhelmed however instead of assisting her, a bunch of photographers started taking extremely inappropriate photos of her and trying to get shots of her underwear. Staff came to stop them but some continued to keep filming and shooting.

EBsQwuMUcAAsoqO.jpg

I guess the nice thing to come out of all this is that a lot of people have been extremely supportive of her over on Twitter. She tweeted this after it all happened.

TYStbDR.png

Fuckin' pigs. The concept of personal space doesn't register with these people.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who recently started having paralyzing anxiety attacks fuck these people. Shit is scary

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad she's okay and getting support. Hopefully this shocks and shames some people in to awareness of how fucked up that behavior is.

May 21, 2018
Those Comiket cosplay photographers were always straddling that line between very intrusive and kinda creepy to full-blown exploitative creepy. This just barreled over that line.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Comiket has already placed a rule about having to stand a certain distance from cosplayers, precisely to stop panty shots.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, they should be given rope barriers to stand behind if needed to keep away the crowd, since obviously common decency has vanished.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Saw this on reddit. Some fucking men have no damn shame. I hope alot of them gets publicly shamed for being a bunch of unabashed creepers.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What the fuck, this is disgusting, what an awful thing for her to have to go through even if she wasn't having a panic attack but the fact she was, at that moment for her there was probably nothing worse that could have been done, I can't imagine how much that amplified the awfulness of what she was going through.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Do these conventions attempt to enforce any sort of boundaries in situations like this? People like these photographers seem to have no concept of personal space or human decency. It's pretty gross.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
It's numbing to know that there are people who saw her having a panic attack, understood she was in a vulnerable state and took it as a chance to get peep shots. Just what the fuck?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
You know what OP? You put it perfectly she's surrounded by a bunch of fucking pigs. Hope their cameras and phones they used to take those photos break!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The fucked up thing is if you try to tell these creeps what to do in these situations, they will call you out for trying to import/impose western ideas.

Human decency has become a western concept, apparently.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who did the con circuit for nearly a decade, the cylinders of cameramen that would descend around cosplay models at Comiket were always the most intimidating thing I have ever seen. 10 men thick, 4 men high, multiple cameras per person, all aimed at one person...

I couldn't do it.

Do these conventions attempt to enforce any sort of boundaries in situations like this? People like these photographers seem to have no concept of personal space or human decency. It's pretty gross.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, in my experience, the model is supposed to dictate the amount of time they're offering themselves to have pictures taken. Again these WALLS of camera men make it so you kind of have to be loud and firm about your personal space and their positions (because there are people there just to get inappropriate shots, you can't stop that). But the photogs will stay there for as long as they want in order to get as many shots as they want.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
That would be a frightening and traumatizing experience even without going through a panic attack on top of that. Jesus.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
One of those threads that I knew was gonna make me angry. Actually seeing the picture is sickening.

Imagine having that little care for another human being. Even the creepiest guys I've ever met wouldn't do that.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Thats like an instant iconic picture of what the fuck is wrong with people

What a place to have a panic attack, i cant even imagine having had a few ones younger, the only way i got through them was being alone and in dark if i could

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ...this is so fucking creepy and disgusting it's actually making my skin crawl.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Where's that "cosplay is not consent" sign from Comicon? I want to hit these guys over the head with it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Can we put a spoiler on the actual images? It's kind of disturbing and the picture itself just as exploitive.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Long answer, in my experience, the model is supposed to dictate the amount of time they're offering themselves to have pictures taken. Again these WALLS of camera men make it so you kind of have to be loud and firm about your personal space and their positions (because there are people there just to get inappropriate shots, you can't stop that). But the photogs will stay there for as long as they want in order to get as many shots as they want.

Considering the number of people with cameras aimed at these cosplayers, I imagine many of them are intimidated into far more than what they intended or wanted to do.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
As someone who liked going to conventions in Japan to see cool cars or new games, these hordes of photographers went from strange to irritating to disgusting and now straight up horrifying

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if she wasn't having a panic attack that'd be creepy as fuck.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Considering the number of people with cameras aimed at these cosplayers, I imagine many of them are intimidated into far more than they intended or wanted to do.

YURP. Especially if you're in something popular or new. I see that the girl in question is wearing something from Hestia, so the demand for photos of that costume was probably stupid high and a circle formed quickly.

Like, Comiket is already stupid crowded and even though lines are managed pretty efficiently, things can escalate in a matter of seconds.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a disgusting photo. It's like a John wick poster for sick psycho fucks.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
IMO, the answer to this problem is more cosplayer focused areas. At american cons, it's really gotten to the point where cosplayers can't stop in general areas for photos anymore because these walls will form. Granted, in the states, it's NEVER as crazy as it is in japan because decending on someone in costume with a camera is just seen as creepy here, but still, cosplay designated areas prevent things like this from happening while also giving cosplayers places to breathe, repair and just feel safer over all. Sure, you may not make the local news who's just walking through a con with a camera, but it's the best way to keep things from getting out of control at a moments notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.