• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
In "holy shit" news for entertainment today... (BTW, I can't believe the first season was freaking 2014)

Variety: 'Cosmos' to Return for Second Season on National Geographic and Fox

The series hails from executive producer, writer, and director Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow and one of the writers on the original 1980s series. She and Steven Soter, another writer from the original show, won the Emmy for Outstanding Writing for Nonfiction Programming in 2014 for the show's first season. Seth MacFarlane, Brannon Braga, and Jason Clark also serve as executive producers. It will be produced by Cosmos Studios, the Ithaca, NY-based company Druyan co-founded in 2000, and Fuzzy Door Productions, MacFarlane's company.

It comes back for 2019.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Obviously we know why this didn't make its premier in march, but now that that's done with, has it been announced when it will air?

EDIT: Yes, the things NDT was accused of were disturbing, and if something else comes to light they should still be taken seriously, but the show moving forward indicates the investigation concludes those allegations weren't substantial enough to completely trash the credibility of anyone involved and I think that should be honored.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Really looking forward to this. I am sucker for these kinds of shows. "How the Universe Works" and "Space's Deepest Secrets" are also permanent recordings on my DVR.

EDIT: Forgot about Tyson's issues. Sorry.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Can we have a different host?

Yeah, that would have been nice.

I can't explain why, but I actually just sort of stopped watching the first season maybe halfway through. I can't remember why since it was so long ago. I think it felt too rambley or something and it started to annoy me.

Much prefered the original, probably mostly owing to Sagan.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really beat Sagan and the original but this is still a great show to have around, looking forward to season 2! =D

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I liked what I saw of season 1. Still need to finish it though. Ill check this out too. They are well made from what I saw.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adored the first season of Cosmos - it's basically a celebration of science and the scientific method.

I thought both nat geo and I think fox were doing an investigation. I never heard the results of that, anyone?

EDIT: looks like it's complete as of March 15 and there's no action recommended.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I'll watch it...but the first season was pretty dang disappointing. NDT cannot deliver with anywhere near the power or profundity of Carl Sagan. The writing is also nowhere close. All it takes is the first 5 minutes of the original Cosmos to see what I mean. Carl is literally walking science poetry and that Vangelis score was damn powerful. NDT tries hard to be like Carl but it falls completely flat in comparison. I mean completely.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Has it been confirmed when the series will air? Also, how much animation will be in this season? I feel like the animation really held the previous season back. The photography and SFX were gorgeous, and the animation was just...ok.

I'll watch it...but the first season was pretty dang disappointing. NDT cannot deliver with anywhere near the power or profundity of Carl Sagan. The writing is also nowhere close. All it takes is the first 5 minutes of the original Cosmos to see what I mean. Carl is literally walking science poetry and that Vangelis score was damn powerful. NDT tries hard to be like Carl but it falls completely flat in comparison. I mean completely.

I disagree with pretty much all of this. NDT is an amazing orator and injects just as much poetry and wonderment in his narration as Sagan did. He can't do Sagan, but nobody can. And nobody else can do NDT.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Has it been confirmed when the series will air? Also, how much animation will be in this season? I feel like the animation really held the previous season back. The photography and SFX were gorgeous, and the animation was just...ok.

I disagree with pretty much all of this. NDT is an amazing orator and injects just as much poetry and wonderment in his narration as Sagan did. He can't do Sagan, but nobody can. And nobody else can do NDT.

Curious if you have any clips of NDT that you think captures this sense? Genuine question.

OP
OP
Juan29.Zapata

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
To be frank, some of the best lines NDT had were carbon copies of Sagan's writings. And even then, he doesn't have the same power to elevate it as Carl did.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
In this season, NDT takes a look at the supermassive black hole found in his heart

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

pretty much, the original is one of my favorite shows of all time

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Ahh that's excellent but I really hope this time they do away with the animated drawings and replace with some good quality CGI.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
In this season, NDT takes a look at the supermassive black hole found in his heart
Yeah. What came out was so creepy, and his explanations so weak, that Fox clearing him or not, I simply can't enjoy any of his work now. Not that I was a big fan before, but.

In any case, I hope this is a good science series for those who are still inclined to watch.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out, but the new series start literally right now (a rerun, the first eps were shown at 8pm ET) on NatGeo, 2 eps every Monday.

The focus looks like it will be speculative fiction mixed with science, about what other worlds and their potential colonization could look like.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
And I STILL havent finished season 1 and now 2 is starting. Im going to try and get on that the next few weeks. Work should be slowing down over the next month for me so I should get a little more time.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I paradoxically haven't watched either Cosmos iterations but I think seeing NDT act like a genuine fucking asshole repeatedly on Twitter (basically fitting the entire caricature of a rationality/accuracy-fetishizing emotionally careless scientist) combined with the allegations against him (although I don't know the details) has skeeved me enough to deflate any excitement I might have had for it.

If you feel similar and want some good good narrated space nonfiction, get the Pale Blue Dot audiobook, I think it's narrated by Ann Druyan. It's amazing

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I somehow missed the announcement of season 2.

Not a big fan of NDT anymore, but I love the science.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I paradoxically haven't watched either Cosmos iterations but I think seeing NDT act like a genuine fucking asshole repeatedly on Twitter (basically fitting the entire caricature of a rationality/accuracy-fetishizing emotionally careless scientist) combined with the allegations against him (although I don't know the details) has skeeved me enough to deflate any excitement I might have had for it.

If you feel similar and want some good good narrated space nonfiction, get the Pale Blue Dot audiobook, I think it's narrated by Ann Druyan. It's amazing

You can watch the Carl Sagan original series. It's outdated (obv), but has some amazing lines like "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, same here.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
I somehow missed the announcement of season 2.

Not a big fan of NDT anymore, but I love the science.

Yes he just seems like a pedantic pompous ass now. I guess he was always like that, but he just gets worse. Twitter really makes asses out of everyone.
We need a new head science educator guy. Brian Cox maybe?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
i would enjoy a host that actually lived up to the ethos of carl sagan and didn't indulge in smug elitism buoyed by his own self-assigned genius status

and then there's the other stuff

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
You can watch the Carl Sagan original series. It's outdated (obv), but has some amazing lines like "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
The DVD version circa 2000 contains subtitles that update it through the year 2000. It's an excellent watch. Saw it for the first time a few years ago and it 100% holds up. One of my favorite shows.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened with NDT?

IF I recall correctly- he got canceled for an allegedly creepy situation and was investigated and apparently "cleared" by his employer and his accuser has some credibility issues that appeared related to her having some difficult personal issues.

I'm predisposed to believing accusers but also in facts and findings - so I'll concede that he may not have committed the incident as his accuser described it - but it was easy for me to join the cancel train because his regular behavior is so grating.

in that same period Lawrence Krauss was credibly accused of some creepy stuff too but his issues seemed more numerous and icky. And a couple of prominent skeptics got tangled in their own asshattery too. It was a bad time for cosmology and skepticism.

but Professor Brian Cox should have gotten the Cosmos gig regardless because he's the best and so far no creepy accusations.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
What happened with NDT?

Accusations were leveled against him. He made a piss-poor apology that got really weird and din't help his new found "creep" status. He then went on to make some very tone deaf and ill-timed "actually" statements after a pair of mass shootings to "add context".

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm hoping both series eventually make their way to Disney+ in the National Geographic section. I'd love to see 'em in HD again, as my local library only has DVD copies.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell were those statements even?!

NDT Tweet said:
In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings.

On average, across any 48hrs, we also lose…

500 to Medical errors
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents
40 to Homicide via Handgun

Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data.

I still respect the intellect of NDT and will watch the new season, I just lost some respect for him as a person outside of his job.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Yes he just seems like a pedantic pompous ass now. I guess he was always like that, but he just gets worse. Twitter really makes asses out of everyone.
We need a new head science educator guy. Brian Cox maybe?

Sean Carroll is my new go-to guy. His podcast is great too.

But either way, there's nobody more qualified than NDT for this gig. His attempts to be profound grate on me but the public seems to eat it up.