• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of waiting for this game's release date to be announced.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Ah yes, the classic 50:50 chance strategy, so you are always right no matter the outcome.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
GT7 and Horizon are completely different types of games for totally different crowds.

GoW:R and TLOU:P1 are both single player, narrative experiences. To fire both of those within 8 weeks when the output is already thin?

I'd love to see it, but I just don't see it happening. Happy to eat crow though. Give me Dad of Boi 2.
They wouldn't be holding Ragnarok for Part 1. Ragnarok will probably break their sale records.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
They internatlly targeted September so I don't think 2023 is a 50/50 thing here.

That logic is flawed imo. Ghost released 3 weeks after TLoU2.

TLOU and God of War and Sonys flagship IPs. Ghost was a completely new IP. From a business perspective, you don't release 2 flagship products so close to each other.

Gran Turismo is different. That's a live service product and the whole goal is to make money over time. Titles like TLOU and God of War make disgusting amount of money early on.

EDIT: I'm not saying I want the game to be a 2023 title, I would love to play it in 2022, but I'm keeping my expectations low just in case.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
GT7 and Horizon are completely different types of games for totally different crowds.

GoW:R and TLOU:P1 are both single player, narrative experiences. To fire both of those within 8 weeks when the output is already thin?

I'd love to see it, but I just don't see it happening. Happy to eat crow though. Give me Dad of Boi 2.
Sony released TLOU2 and GoT, two narrative single player games, one month apart from each other

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
The hype train for this game once the release date is known is gonna be something else....can't wait

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

This is what I think too. I doubt Sony want to release 2 highly anticipated titles so close to each other.

GT7 and Horizon are 2 completely different types of games. God of War and TLOU are nothing compared to a racer.
They also did this for GOT and TLOU I honestly dont think they are purposely holding anything back. It makes zero sense

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see someone with actual worth for the industry shutting up Jaffe.

Ragnarok likely releasing in 2022 is also good news though.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU and God of War and Sonys flagship IPs. Ghost was a completely new IP. From a business perspective, you don't release 2 flagship products so close to each other.

Gran Turismo is different. That's a live service product and the whole goal is to make money over time. Titles like TLOU and God of War make disgusting amount of money early on.

EDIT: I'm not saying I want the game to be a 2023 title, I would love to play it in 2022, but I'm keeping my expectations low just in case.
Nah Man. They are seperated enough. Sony is not gonna delay a game because they're possibly 2.5 months apart. If it's ready, it ships. It got delayed enough already.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017

GoT may be a new IP, but the money and resources behind it were there because they expected it to be their next franchise. In the end, its being a new IP is a distinction without a difference. It's a flagship game, just a new one.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think the logical fallacy with "would sony really release both God of War and The Last of Us 1 Remake months apart?" is... We know it was happening. Jason Schreier has already reported the release date was targeting September and is now targeting November. Its not that suddenly TLOU Part I came to existence. It was the plan for a while. There is no point argue with "would they" when we know they are/were.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
This game was announced for 2021. A (very) late 2022 release seems realistic enough to me.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Was Jaffe always like this? I remember when he wanted to have a public debate with a user on Era lol.
Anyway, it's good to see Cory back!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Nah Man. They are seperated enough. Sony is not gonna delay a game because they're possibly 2.5 months apart. If it's ready, it ships. It got delayed enough already.
why would sony have their team sit on their hands with a completed game makes no sense lmao. Sony will release when they want to release they arent planning much and esp end of this year is the perfect time frame for them to release it for a big holiday.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'd really like it if insiders would give claiming the game has slipped to 2023, and then other insiders saying they are mistaken, a rest. Can we just wait for the info/trailer/State of Play? We'll know then. :)

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I think the logical fallacy with "would sony really release both God of War and The Last of Us 1 Remake months apart?" is... We know it was happening. Jason Schreier has already reported the release date was targeting September and is now targeting November. Its not that suddenly TLOU Part I came to existence. It was the plan for a while. There is no point argue with "would they" when we know they are/were.

Good point.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Cory, must suck to have the history of GOW so tied to Jaffe and have to deal with the cringe-ass twitter engagement whore he's become

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I'm sure it's all hands on deck to try to get it out this fall. With all the games delayed until 2023 it stands to be the big AAA single player game this fall (other than Pokemon and whatever else from Nintendo, but that's a pretty different focus from GoW).

Not that it won't sell great whenever it's released, but there's a lot of benefits to getting more $70 launch window sales when fewer AAA single player games are coming out vs. later as most people only buy one or two games at a time and some things get pushed off and bought later during sales etc.

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
Can't wait for Ragnarock. Patiently awaiting more details to come in the coming weeks.

Jan 11, 2018
I like Jaffe. He's said stupid stuff and continues to do so, but he consistently speaks up for queer rights, and recently abortion rights to a lot of his idiotic fanbase.

Can't wait for Ragnarock. Patiently awaiting more details to come in the coming weeks.

Your first sentence complete contradicts your second :p

Last edited:

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Cory ma boi
Glad to see he's back
leonardo-di-caprio-cheers.gif

Sep 21, 2019
I'm still convinced Santa Monica are ready to ship, it's just on Sony and their release pacing. TLOU:P1 and GoW:R only 2 months apart?

Seems too close. March/April 2023 seems right to me.

It isn't too close. TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima launched a month apart.

Horizon Forbidden West and GT7 launched a week or two apart.

The golden rule is typically around a month, so it makes sense they are going to launch Ragnarok in November.

TLOU 1 Remaster - September
Forspoken - October
Ragnarok - November

They could have made September. I guarantee it. But Starfield being delayed opened the sweet holiday spot in November, and Sony couldn't resist.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
this makes no sense you know that right. They literally shipped GT7 and Horizon a month apart lmao.

Just a few months ago they launched Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7 a few weeks apart. Sony clearly doesn't mind releasing games close to each other.

There was less time between Forbidden West and GT7. Or Returnal and Ratchet.

Its almost like some ppl just skipped the past 2 years, or since the PS5 launched.

They way Sony launched the PS5 should tell anyone they have no problem shipping games together or back to back.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't too close. TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima launched a month apart.

Horizon Forbidden West and GT7 launched a week or two apart.

The golden rule is typically around a month, so it makes sense they are going to launch Ragnarok in November.

TLOU 1 Remaster - September
Forspoken - October
Ragnarok - November

They could have made September. I guarantee it. But Starfield being delayed opened the sweet holiday spot in November, and Sony couldn't resist.
That'll be £210 please.
giphy.gif